vCash

Veronica Campbell-Brown tests positive for a banned substance

Multiple World and Olympic champion, Veronica Campbell-Brown (JAM) has tested positive for banned diuretic Furesomide, which can used as a masking agent. This is really sad news, especially since she has been competing for so long and has had an amazing track record. More can be read here

Prick Admin
    vCash
    That's really disappointing.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Le sigh. I've really liked her over the years, very upsetting news.

vCash
    Heartbroken for her fans and Jamaican sprinting. I really liked her a lot.

vCash
    I guess this is the end of her career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I guess this is the end of her career.
    I think it's a bit premature to say that this is the end of her career. Since this is her first offense and it's "only" a diuretic, she'll probably receive a two-year suspension at most, which means she'll be eligible to compete again by the 2015 Worlds. As long as she has the desire to continue, I expect that we'll see her in Rio.

vCash
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all.
    Why? She has been competiting for do long and had tested countless time.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Sadly, I am no longer surprised. It's track and field. It feels expected for someone to test positive for a banned substance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Why? She has been competiting for do long and had tested countless time.
    So did Lance, so did lots of athletes. Sadly no one should be suprised anymore when anyone tests positive. Disappointed, yes, but surprised? It's more surprising when they don't. I just feel sad for those that are clean and are robbed of their moment in the sun because of these lying,cheating fools.

vCash
    Associated Press article: http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackand...lesser-offense
    "It is up to our member federations to enforce our rules," IAAF spokesman Nick Davies told The Associated Press in a text message. "Although we would not normally comment on active cases (we) would simply remind media to keep (a) sense of perspective -- all evidence seems to point to this offense being a lesser one."

The sanction for a lesser offense can be a reduced penalty -- a suspension of a few months to a year or a public warning -- rather than a standard two-year ban.

Dr. Herb Elliott, chairman of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission, said the banned substance found in Campbell-Brown's samples at the Jamaica International Invitational was a diuretic. He declined to provide the name of the substance.

Diuretics can be used to mask the use of banned substances.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code, some diuretics are classified as a "specified substance," a designation for drugs that might have been consumed without intent to enhance performance.

Athletes can receive a reduced sanction if they can prove how a substance was ingested.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    I think it's a bit premature to say that this is the end of her career. Since this is her first offense and it's "only" a diuretic,
    That can be used as a masking agent, as the snipets stated and that, in my opinion, should make it more than just "only".

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Sadly, I am no longer surprised. It's track and field. It feels expected for someone to test positive for a banned substance.
    Agreed. The cynic in me is just waiting for the news that Usain Bolt tested positive as well, for whatever it is

vCash
    Sadly not surprising, but the fact that it is Jamaica now means that the words "drugs" and "cheating" have arrived ever closer to the upper echelons of Jamaican sprinting....

I think that if Bolt ever tests positive, well, for me it would be a case of "yeah, him and all the rest in the top 10." It would be disappointing, but since they would all, IMO, have been using, then he's still the fastest because I would see it as an even paying field.

vCash
    Assuming that all the athletes did take the same substance, the same amount that is proportional to their size, and have had the same biological reactions to the drug.

vCash
    I have always felt all World class sprinters dope. So I think they are on a level playing field. Except for ones like Flo Jo willing to upgrade to so many drugs to put her over the top she ends up killing herself by 40 due to all that was pumped into her body, even if for just one year.