View Poll Results: Caryn Kadavy or Jill Trenary (who did you prefer?)

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caryn Kadavy

48 68.57%
  • Jill Trenary

11 15.71%
  • Didn't care for either one

1 1.43%
  • Loved them both; can't choose

10 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I was glad Caryn came into her own as a pro and really had a very successful pro career, winning and placing in many competitions, and gaining the confidence to show off her many amazing qualities.

I wonder how different her career might have been if she won the 86 U.S title. The title was there for her to win, even after Thomas's great skate. That she made several major errors and still took 3 judges off Thomas shows the judges were more than ready to give it to her, along with her short program victory. It really might have given her much more momentum the remainder of that quad.

vCash
    Caryn. Hands down. Nothing against Jill. I just really love watching Caryn.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I always liked Caryn. I was trying to find a program of hers when she competed during one of the old pro competitions/shows, The Great Skate Debate. No luck, I'm afraid. I did find, however, this program during the 1999 Improv Ice. I've always loved how elegant she was/is, and it just seemed to be so natural with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IqYku48jU
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I proudly voted for Jill. Caryn is a bit overrated on skating forums, IMO. I think Jill was much more interesting. I loved her 1-foot axel/3 salchow combination, which she usually landed (especially when Peggy was the commentator; she'd always gear the audience up for it and Jill must have heard the build up and realized she couldn't miss 'Peggy's favorite' jump in the program ).

Although it was a little inconsistent, I loved her clean edge 2axel. I thought her 2flip with arm variation was very nice as well.

I loved her Lauren Sheehan costumes (I thought they were perfectly fitting of 80s and 90s) and her big hair!

I will say that Caryn's 3loop was a beauty. I agree with whoever said she hit her loop more than Jill hit her 3flip. I also agree that Jill probably was more consistent with her other jumps, however.

vCash
    Jill was my first real figure skating crush. I always wanted her to do well and remember being so disapointed when injuries prevented her competing in 91/92 seasons. Once she retired Kristi was my girl.

vCash
    Jill by a mile. I loved the sequins, and the hair...almost everybody had that hair back then. I loved her skating, still do. Kadavy was OK, but never seemed to have the kind of extension in her body that I like to see. I was thrilled when Jill won Worlds. I was never an Ito fan, although I recognize her jumping ability and the fact that the Japanese press hounded her unmercifully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Jill by a mile. I loved the sequins, and the hair...almost everybody had that hair back then. I loved her skating, still do. Kadavy was OK, but never seemed to have the kind of extension in her body that I like to see. I was thrilled when Jill won Worlds. I was never an Ito fan, although I recognize her jumping ability and the fact that the Japanese press hounded her unmercifully.
    What kind of extension do you like to see? I am curious. Caryn was one of the most balletic skaters, with perfect positions and the right amount of extensions (except when she did the catch foot/donut spin). Are you implying that Jill had more extension than Caryn?

I don't have a problem with you liking Jill more; it's a matter of taste. It sounds like you don't like any of the skaters I like. and that too is a matter of taste, so I am OK with you not liking Ito (although she was never a part of this thread, you mentioned her, so I am responding to that).
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-18-2013 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    I did feel badly for Jill in a sense in that I could tell she really BADLY wanted to get to the top and be a great champion, and she was always just on the cusp of it but never quite got there. That is different than Caryn who IMO had more opportunity to be a great champion and dominant skater, but simply didnt want it badly enough. Even her great skates like the 87 Worlds LP showed her weakness, she inexplicably bailed out of the last 2 jumps after skating perfectly until then, and she probably would have won atleast the silver over Thomas, and maybe even the gold over Witt, had she done them.

Jill I think thought she was the next big thing in skating when she beat World Champion Debi Thomas (albeit an injured and subpar one) at the 87 Nationals. However the 87 Worlds was a huge crash down to earth. Then she had to wait her turn until Witt, Thomas, and Manley were gone; and with the protocal of skating then she really couldnt beat those women no matter how well she skated, or even if she had deserved to. Then she found the sport changing and figured being reduced and phased out, and suddenly people like not only Ito, but most worringly a string of younger Americans- Yamaguchi, Harding, even Kerrigan, were doing many more triple jumps than she had ever done, and it was too late in her career to realistically learn a whole new bunch of new triples and combinations. Her timing was basically off. While I wasnt a fan of her she probably had enough talent, and certainly enough work ethic and determation to reach the top, but she needed to have been born either a few years earlier or a few years later to really have that chance. As it was she kind of was a tweener between two eras, and did well to win a World title and 3 U.S titles amongst all that, while Kadavy who IMO was still the more talented skater overall easily, and who hypothetically came in around the right time in 85-86 wasnt a strong enough competitor to take her many opportunities to be a great champion.

vCash
    IMO Caryn had confidence issues. I did not follow FS as closely as I do now, and there was no internet back then, so I am just guessing. I read somewhere that touring with Brian Boitano helped her a lot and then she started winning pro competitions. She was naturally artistic, and the pro competitions did not require that many triple jumps, which worked for her.

vCash
    Apparently, Caryn's first ever appearance at U.S. Nationals at any level was in 1985 in senior ladies (where she won bronze). That must have been quite the learning curve in learning how to handle high-level competition after so many years not getting out of sectionals/regionals.

vCash
    She's been referred to more than once as "Jill Treachery" hence why Caryn is doing so well

Seriously though; that persona, hair, arm moves and costumes made Jill a gay icon. Love 'er!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I did feel badly for Jill in a sense in that I could tell she really BADLY wanted to get to the top and be a great champion, and she was always just on the cusp of it but never quite got there. That is different than Caryn who IMO had more opportunity to be a great champion and dominant skater, but simply didnt want it badly enough. Even her great skates like the 87 Worlds LP showed her weakness, she inexplicably bailed out of the last 2 jumps after skating perfectly until then, and she probably would have won atleast the silver over Thomas, and maybe even the gold over Witt, had she done them.

Jill I think thought she was the next big thing in skating when she beat World Champion Debi Thomas (albeit an injured and subpar one) at the 87 Nationals. However the 87 Worlds was a huge crash down to earth. Then she had to wait her turn until Witt, Thomas, and Manley were gone; and with the protocal of skating then she really couldnt beat those women no matter how well she skated, or even if she had deserved to. Then she found the sport changing and figured being reduced and phased out, and suddenly people like not only Ito, but most worringly a string of younger Americans- Yamaguchi, Harding, even Kerrigan, were doing many more triple jumps than she had ever done, and it was too late in her career to realistically learn a whole new bunch of new triples and combinations. Her timing was basically off. While I wasnt a fan of her she probably had enough talent, and certainly enough work ethic and determation to reach the top, but she needed to have been born either a few years earlier or a few years later to really have that chance. As it was she kind of was a tweener between two eras, and did well to win a World title and 3 U.S titles amongst all that, while Kadavy who IMO was still the more talented skater overall easily, and who hypothetically came in around the right time in 85-86 wasnt a strong enough competitor to take her many opportunities to be a great champion.
    This. If Trenary had been contending in the Sumners era I think she would have been more successful. As it was she was never gonna beat Witt in her prime unless she bombed (which she never did), and then had to contend with the the huge changes in the 89-92 era in ladies skating technical prowess. That being said she still won a worlds over Ito in the last time figures were held in a worlds, so she still had a very good career. Kadavy more than made up for her amatuer disappointments and bad luck in the hey day of pro skating.

vCash

Smile Kadavy beautiful

Caryn easily....who happens to be my fav skater of all time. I liked Jill, too. I agree with what most have said...Kadavy's 3loop was superior to Trenary's 3 flip; 3sow easily to Trenary; dead heat on the 3toe; Trenary was the better competitor overall...but both suffered with the stress of competition. Kadavy was just a natural and pure artistic skater...which is why I think most put her ahead in the "skating" department. But, Jill was a very good "taught" artistic skater and I thought her Bezic programs were very full and well done. I can't believe some what to strip Trenary of her World title...everyone competed under the rules of their day and Ito blew her figures in '90...her fault, not Jill's. Very sad for Caryn at 88 Olympics after great SP, and that she did not stay in to compete longer to see if she could overcome competitionitis. I agree that the US judges were willing to give her the title (winning two SP, including 88 over Trenary..sketchy combo, and Thomas...clean program) if she could have just handled the LP better. Pro careers....Kadavy found herself in this role...otherwise would have been a much forgotten skater today.

vCash
    Has anyone posted Caryn's Olympic short program yet? It was exquisite and deserved so much better marks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AXUFZ_Vho

Although the sound of Peggy Fleming having an orgasm at the .20 mark has always disturbed me.

vCash
    I loved them both but I voted for Jill. I think Caryn was more of a ballerina on the ice, and Jill was the athlete. After the 88 Olympics Jill improved her artistry while working with Renee Roca. That 1990 program was one of my all time favorites. I loved Jill's signature 1 foot axel into the Salchow. Why doesn't anyone ever do that move now a days?

I agree that Caryn came into her own as a professional. Skating some very nice numbers. I think she made a nice amount of money. I remember there was a lot of skating on TV after the Nancy/Tonya incident. Caryn was always competing and she did very well.

I think they both had confidence issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12