View Poll Results: Caryn Kadavy or Jill Trenary (who did you prefer?)

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caryn Kadavy

48 68.57%
  • Jill Trenary

11 15.71%
  • Didn't care for either one

1 1.43%
  • Loved them both; can't choose

10 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Caryn Kadavy and Jill Trenary- who did you prefer?

Both Caryn Kadavy and Jill Trenary were artistic/stylistic skaters who were not particularly strong jumpers. Jill Trenary won a world title(1990)- thanks to Compulsory figures; Caryn's best finish was a world bronze in 1987, but she had much more success as a pro. She developed into something special, without the pressure of having to land difficult jumps. Jill's career almost ended (she had a few pro competition appearances) after her world title. She did not even compete at the 1991 worlds.

Who did you like more? I loved Caryn Kadavy but I was lukewarm toward Jill Trenary- may be because she was competing against one of my most favorite skaters ever?

Who did you prefer and why?

vCash
    Here is Caryn Kadavy (1987 worlds LP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylUfPI2dfZc

Caryn Kadavy (pro competition):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tp49f-En0

Caryn Kadavy )1996 Canadian pro comp)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXDL8Lmjqo

Jill Trenary (1990 worlds):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxBgF7jc-k

Jill Trenary (Pro- ice wars 1993)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UojG3Bf3ng

Jill Trenary (Pro- ice wars)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIfSf_YWsxA
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-16-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added two more links

vCash
    For their time, they were both exceptionally strong jumpers. Trenary did the elusive triple flip and Kadavy's loop still stands as one of the best ever.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Aquanet sales were never the same once Caryn and Jill retired from competition.

vCash
    I don't know much about either of their amateur careers, but I loved Caryn as a pro. The only performance I've seen of Jill's, from the 1990 Worlds, I hated.

vCash
    I just watched Jill's Ice Wars performance and I actually enjoyed it. She looked like a completely different skater than at the '90 worlds.

vCash
    I prefer Caryn to Jill. I think Jill had better support from the USFSA and Team Fassi though.

Technically, they were evenly matched jump-wise: Trenary had the 3flip, 3toe and 3sal. Kadavy had the 3loop, 3toe and 3sal but I think Caryn was more consistent with her money jump (3loop) than Jill was with hers (3flip) and Caryn did a better job with jump combinations. Both were somewhat inconsistent. Perhaps it was a wash in the eyes of the judges and TPTB and they gravitated towards Jill. The clincher for me was Caryn's more graceful, balletic style while Jill seemed somewhat stiff in all her movements

Jill wins 'Best Hair evuh'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think Jill had better support from the USFSA and Team Fassi though.
    I don't think that's true. Caryn didn't help her cause by constantly doubling triples or falling on them. The US Nationals judges were ready to make her champion if only she had shown the mental toughness to be one. Caryn did leave the Fassi's camp later in her career because of the tension between her and Jill, so maybe she did in some way feel that Fassi preferred Jill over her.

Jill's performances at the 96 Ice Wars were probably her best.

Technical Program

Artistic Program. Definitely very Chris Dean here. I don't think Jill was quite comfortable doing all of those knee bends...I would've like to see her go deeper into them.
    Last edited by orbitz; 06-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.

vCash
    Caryn. Jill had mediocre quality and inconsistent jumps, not very good spins, and not always enjoyable programs. Just not a champions calibre skater. Caryn was a champions caliber skater had she had a stronger mind.

vCash
    Trenary's World title was a travesty to be honest. Ito was so dominate in the SP and LP and still didn't win. Thank God that was the last year for figures. There was no better example of why they had to go then Worlds 1990.

vCash
    This poll is going to be lopsided.

vCash
    In my years on this forum it has always been evident to me Trenary was never a fan favorite here, and Kadavy is. Trenary is one of those like Sumners and Kerrigan and some others who might have been decently appreciated at their time (hard to tell as there was no internet then) but whose skating has not aged well. I would have been shocked at this poll going any other way. Still glad someone made it though as they both seem to be almost forgotten today, and it is nice a thread was made to atleast discuss them for people who like or appreciate one or both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    This poll is going to be lopsided.
    A shame I didn't see the results before voting. Because I've always liked Jill trenary's skating. I don't know why, but I liked watching her.
    But I voted for Caryn Kadavy, because she is one of my favorite skater in term of pure skating and elegance. And I loved her Loop out of nowhere !

vCash
    Some fans are upset that Trenary won the 90 World title. They should be upset that Midori didn't do her job in the school figures.

What dates Trenary's skating is not really her skating itself, IMO, but the overly-sequined Loren Sheehan's costumes and the hair. Remember that Kristi also wore Lauren's outfits and that horrible bang thing with her hair on the front.

vCash
    Jill Trenary. I especially loved her when she worked hard to win Nationals again after winning the year before but being overshadowed by Kristi Yamaguchi. I always loved her LP that year, especially the one-footed axel and step sequences. And I loved the cheesy music she used. Jill deserved her World title. Both she and Midori skated under the rules of the day which included compulsory school figures. Jill beat Midori by a marathon mile in that portion of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    For their time, they were both exceptionally strong jumpers. Trenary did the elusive triple flip and Kadavy's loop still stands as one of the best ever.
    ^^^
    THIS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Some fans are upset that Trenary won the 90 World title. They should be upset that Midori didn't do her job in the school figures.
    What sort of argument is this? It sounds like you are just being contrary. I should add with this statement you sound oblivious to the fact that figures were about to be eliminated. Yes Midori bombed both figures, but when you look at the grace with which Midori accepted it and the energy she brought to the SP and FS, you should know why people scoff at the idea that Jill was the real winner.

I give Jill credit for a reasonably strong FS. She did earn her title. It's hard to overlook that her costume and the Renee Roca choreography were the ugliest she ever had--before or after retirement. Scott Hamilton said it was a beautiful look, and enough is said by pointing that out.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-16-2013 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Trenary's World title was a travesty to be honest. Ito was so dominate in the SP and LP and still didn't win. Thank God that was the last year for figures. There was no better example of why they had to go then Worlds 1990.
    No. It was a legitimate win. Despite her superior technical skills, Ito failed in figures at that competition. There's no evidence of 'cheating' to hold Ito down. If anything, Ito as defending World Champ would've gotten a helping hand in Figures.

vCash
    Interestingly, Kristi also bombed the figures at the 1990 worlds (Kristi was 9th, Midori was 10th in figures). Clearly it was time for the jumpers to progress and figures had to go away. Jill's win in 1990 was legit, but it was like Trixie Schuba beating Janet Lynn- legit win, but not a pleasing one to the majority.

vCash
    Yes the 1990 Worlds proved enough 20% for figures couldnt last anymore. It would be one thing if Trenary won the World title based on her vast superiority to Ito in figures with a triple lutz in her 2nd placed long program, and with a good short with atleast the triple toe combo most others were doing. However to win with a double toe combination in the short, and mostly triple toes and triple salchows in the long (with one shaky triple flip as the high technical point), showed figures just couldnt last anymore.

vCash
    I added one more program link to each - Caryn & Jill. I really liked Jill at the 1993 Ice wars, but that may have been the only time I did.

I liked Caryn from the first time I saw her skate (on TV)- at the 1986 US nationals. Loved her natural grace, and she seemed to get better and better as a skater. Later I found out that her mother was a ballet dancer. Caryn had lovely balletic moves and musical interpretation. She was coaching some years ago. Is she not doing that anymore?

It's a shame she could not skate the LP at the 1988 Olympics; she came down with a high fever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast