vCash

The resturant where you work for food...

There is a resturant in Spain called La Trobada, in the town of Terrassa near Barcelona where the unemployed work but are not paid, instead they eat for free. I think it is a neat idea although it does not sound like it will last long since it s running at a loss. Spain's unemployment rate is about 27% which sounds like a nightmare scenario for job seekers. I love this story and wish the resturant lots of success.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22916739

vCash
    So how are the unemployed supposed to earn money to pay rents, bills, etc. when they're working at the restaurant for free in exchange for food ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    So how are the unemployed supposed to earn money to pay rents, bills, etc. when they're working at the restaurant for free in exchange for food ?
    The unemployment rate is over 25%. There is nothing they can do to earn money to pay bills. At least this way, they get to eat...

vCash
    At first, I thought it sounds like exploitation. It reminds me of a segment of the Daily Show where a company exploits homeless people to hold the company's advertisement and only pay them $2 (or some other really low amount) an hour. How many hours of work for how much food?

After watching the clip, this sounds more like a charity where customers who have no money, "pay" the restaurant by working for a couple of hours?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That sounds very nice but I don't see how it could last. Operating at a loss is right. They aren't pulling in any money. Maybe some people will read that article and send in some donations? Unfortunately, with the entire country in such poor condition it will be hard to get donations from within so they will probably need a lot of International donations and I am sure those come in a lot less often. I have wanted to go to Spain for a long time, the pictures are so jaw droppingly beautiful. We plan on going to Europe within a year but I don't think Spain will be a part of this trip but I really hope to make it back to see Spain.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher