vCash

Cool Sue Austin: Deep sea diving … in a wheelchair! - FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Just saw this lady profiled on ABC World News...freakin' AWESOME!

Sue Austin: Deep sea diving … in a wheelchair

Speakers Sue Austin: Performance artist

In repurposing her wheelchair to create fantastical art, Sue Austin reshapes how we think about disability.

Why you should listen to her:

Multimedia, performance and installation artist Sue Austin keeps a fascinating mission at the center her work: to challenge the idea of disabled as “other” and represent her experience as a wheelchair user in a brighter light. She does this by creating quirky, unexpected juxtapositions -- bringing a sense of whimsy and empowerment to the discussion of disability.

Austin is the founder and artistic director of Freewheeling, an initiative aiming to further the genre of Disability Arts. In 2012, she was asked to be a part of the Cultural Olympiad in Britain, a celebration of the arts leading up to the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The work she created for the event, called “Creating the Spectacle!,” is a groundbreaking series of live art and video works of an underwater wheelchair.
    "Like the athletes at the Paralympics, disabled artist Sue Austin is working to redefine the popular notion of disability. This week, she has been amazing spectators with a specially equipped wheelchair that lets her fly underwater." PRI's The World

Video: http://www.ted.com/talks/sue_austin_...heelchair.html

EDIT: FYI...the underwater segment starts at ~4 minutes in...it's mesmerizing and hypnotic....
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-13-2013 at 01:56 AM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Oh wow! That just brought tears to my eyes. Sue Austin is one amazing person and she has given me even more motivation than what I had before. I use a wheelchair (not powered) and a walker. I was so upset with myself last week. I did something really stupid, but I was bound and determined to do it on my own. I usually have to have some help doing certain things like some household chores and going to the grocery store.

Last week, I took it upon myself to try and maneuver my heavy dirt devil vacuum cleaner while holding onto my cane with the other hand. I was almost finished but ended up falling in the hallway. I landed on my right knee, and my bad leg turned sort of inward. I was lucky that I had no broken bones. My knees were swollen up until the other day. I now have bruises on both knees and just a little swelling left in my right knee.

After that happened, I decided to go online and find a lightweight vacuum cleaner. I got the vacuum cleaner the other day. I'm really happy because I tried sitting in my wheelchair while moving the lightweight vacuum cleaner around and it worked. I know that might be a small accomplishment to some, but to me, it's a really big accomplishment!

After reading about Sue Austin and her accomplishments, it just gives me more determination to go after my goals.

Thank you, dardar1126 for sharing the article.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Sue Austin is an incredbile woman. I watched the piece on the news too.

Angie I am glad you did not get seriously hurt. I hope you bruises clear up soon, be careful.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks, kittyjake5. I've learned a very valuable lesson with what happened. I'm definitely going to be more careful.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Angie/Simone411, I'm so pleased that this video brought you such inspiration! I was blown away when I saw Sue's profile on ABC, and immediately went to the internet to find her full TED presentation. I loved how she said that getting her power chair brought her MORE FREEDOM, not less. Her illness had restricted her, the chair freed her. The film of her under the sea was just STUNNING!

vCash
    BUMP for the weekend-only crowd who may not have had a chance to see this inspiring story....