Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

vCash
    Pretty sure I saw them in Seattle after I moved here in 2005.

2006 COI sounds right.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    A visa waiver won't change anything really - she will be allowed on the plane, but if indeed her visa was revoked at some point, chances are she won't let her go through immigration.
    Marina Anissina could only have had her visa revoked if she had a visa to revoke in the first place. The IOC didn't award prize money at the Winter Olympic Games, so, as a French citizen, she would have been entitled to a visa waiver. She probably would have needed a visa to participate in COI in 2006, but that was after the investigation was dropped.

The fact (if it is one) that Anissina stayed out of the United States to evade questioning by the FBI does not mean that she had a visa revoked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Marina Anissina could only have had her visa revoked if she had a visa to revoke in the first place. The IOC didn't award prize money at the Winter Olympic Games, so, as a French citizen, she would have been entitled to a visa waiver. She probably would have needed a visa to participate in COI in 2006, but that was after the investigation was dropped.

The fact (if it is one) that Anissina stayed out of the United States to evade questioning by the FBI does not mean that she had a visa revoked.
    But she did participate in COI in 2002. I think that's why people were wondering about her visa. Glad to know she and Gwendal were in 2006 COI. I always forget that COI was still running during that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I agree how about trying to do whole programs without having every single second taken up by required technical elements! Ice dance used to be much more creatively harder!
    This kind of rose-tinted nostalgia conveniently forgets how utterly and totally empty the vast majority of pre-IJS programs used to be (not that it's much better today but at least we have the demand of technical difficulty instead of seeing step sequences composed of toe-steps and three-turns and nobody even attempting to get the right edges in the CDs).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This kind of rose-tinted nostalgia conveniently forgets how utterly and totally empty the vast majority of pre-IJS programs used to be (not that it's much better today but at least we have the demand of technical difficulty instead of seeing step sequences composed of toe-steps and three-turns and nobody even attempting to get the right edges in the CDs).
    That technical difficulty uses up way too much of the dances so that the entire span of the dance is used just to reach high levels required to do well. Especially in the step sequences which frequently become back holes of nothingness! Endless nonsense!

YEAH!
    vCash
    So the programs were empty and the technical aspect was lacking? What attracted you to skating then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    But she did participate in COI in 2002. I think that's why people were wondering about her visa.
    Not only that, they did COI before that as well and Skate America as well so the visas that they had might have been valid for several years. My tourist visa is good for 10 years even though I only wanted to spend 6 months in the US when I applied for it.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Yeah, I definitely remember that at some point Marina was no longer wanted for questioning and then returned freely to the US... I didn't post, because I didn't remember the date. Susan M is right.
    She might be back on the list given the renewed interest in Mr. T.

vCash
    Has anyone heard anything on this in the last month or so? I haven't heard a peep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Has anyone heard anything on this in the last month or so? I haven't heard a peep.
    Nothing at all.It was quite ridiculous anyway if it was even true There was never any reaction or interview about it from Gwendal.It could have been very interesting if it was true.I would rather remember champions for their achievements not for their attempted failed comebacks
    What do we remember about FP/M ? Their world gold ? No we remember the fall ghastly FD and the Babs stare

vCash
    Gwendal is doing the reality tv show: Ice Show and will be one of the coaches for celebrities.
    Marina has been doing some coaching/choreographing work with French skaters, including some work with Amodio.

vCash
    Thank you. For the most part COP/IJS has been a terrific boon to ice dancing: it has upped the technical difficulty exponentially and it has made competitions, you know, competitive. I have written a good deal of poetry, and there is something to be said about writing in strict forms like sonnets, villanelles, etc -- it forces you to be MORE creative. I think there is a parallel there to contemporary ice dancing.

Perhaps the one thing COP/IJS scoring has killed is an appreciation for elegant simplicity, such as Rahkoma & Kokko's deep knee bends in their wonderful Valse Triste program, or the quick shuffle steps in Torvil & Dean's Mack & Mabel program. Those simple steps can be choreographically profound and delightful. But, alas, they aren't big point generators...
    Last edited by WeakAnkles; 09-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.

vCash
    I found a recent video promo of Gwendall's TV appearance, with Candeloro, Bonaly and Abitbol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgj22FOmTUo

Doesn't look like serious Olympic training to me.
    Last edited by Susan M; 12-04-2013 at 06:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I found a recent video promo of Gwendall's TV appearance, with Candeloro, Bonaly and Abitbol.

haha
    the best on this clip was seeing tatiana golovin again, even if it was without a racket.

but still little bit sad; although we know this would never happen, this would have been quite a story, a/p back on olympic ice

vCash
    What a surprise…

Taking this comeback seriously for a moment, I think it's better that this never happened. Better to have 2002 be their last Olympic moment as opposed to failing to qualify to Sochi or to actually qualify (no matter how impossible that may seem) and fail to place in the top 15 (more or less). I'm not familiar with the TES requirement rules, but when would have A/P even have had a chance to meet the requirements if they had not done so already?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Read the end of the third paragraph of Nmsis' post:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4011519

If they were to come back, they wanted to train with Zazoui, but Gailhaguet nixed it, and that was the end of that. Had they been able to train with her starting in the summer, and had they felt they could have been successful (as they defined it), there would have been plenty of Volvo Cups for them to have made the minimums.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I have to say I think it was probably a good decision not to try it, but as a big A/P fan, I will probably always think "what if...". But if they did something as great as Gilles/Poirier or Hurtado/Diaz's FD, it would be completely stunning and I wouldn't mind the result at all. And I think it was also Marina's motivation.
    As far as I know from a completely reliable source, Marina was indeed asked to come back by Gailhaguet and he was obviously convincing her so long, she started to believe it. But Gwendal talked her out of it. In Russian press, Marina was quoted, saying Gwendal didn't disagree at first, but then changed his mind. She's now working till Sotchi, as consultant/coach for French team. Gwendal is working in that Tv Show, but to be honest, I was very disappointed with it last week. I think Gwendal would be a great choreographer and I think him choreographing/coaching celebrities is a waste of time and especially his talent. I would love to see him work with real skaters and especially to skate with Marina in shows again, but ...oh well...he seems happy and I hope Marina is too

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Based on the scoring at Cup of Russia, I'm assuming Anissina's return has all been behind the scenes.

I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post

Bonaly looks fantastic!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sykr View Post
    I have to say I think it was probably a good decision not to try it, but as a big A/P fan, I will probably always think "what if...". ... I would love to see him work with real skaters and especially to skate with Marina in shows again, but ...oh well...he seems happy and I hope Marina is too
    ITA. When I first heard the proposition of them coming back, I didn't really believe it, but it did make me realize how much I would enjoy watching this team again, at least in shows.

I kind of feel that way whenever a great skater from the past announces a come-back to competition. I was interested in seeing what Cohen could do with more maturity and her incredible fitness routine. I would have been interested in seeing what An/P would have done. I was really interested to see how much Lysacek's dancing experience and training might have improved his skating. Oh, well.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast