Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    So cool! Nearly a decade of not competing and Michelle is still pulling down endorsements with major companies! The Kween's awesomeness knows no bounds!!

Seriously though, Michelle has been partnered with Coke for years. They love her and know she's still a very big draw in this sport despite her retired status.

Of course Evan is the reigning OGM so it makes sense to partner with him as well. There aren't any proven prospects in the men's ranks right now so why not go with Evan?

If these current skaters want their name attached to big-time sponsors they need to get their sh*t together and win something. Like I said on GSF, big companies don't want to give an endorsement to a skater who happens to be at the top of the mediocrity heap...they want a reliable, bankable and marketable star.

vCash
    I would have thought Michelle's current job would have preluded this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Honestly, how many of the celebrity spokespeople actually use the products they appear in ads for? At least beyond the time frame when they're getting paid to?
    One of the funniest ads I ever saw with figure skaters was a KFC spot during one of those ice specials. They're all sitting around the table fake-eating KFC. And the look on Ilia Kulik's face is very much: "You want me to eat that? You know how many triples I'll have to do to burn that off?"

vCash
    USA Today article that focuses on Ted Ligety and Amy Purdy: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rship/2415393/
    Excerpt:
    "As an athlete you always want to be the best," Ligety told USA TODAY Sports. "To be associated with a company like Coke, you have to be among the best. They're not going to pick the 20th fastest athlete in the world. I think that's cool validation of what you've done in your sport and who you are as well. … It's just cool to see them recognizing that."
    Purdy is also training for the U.S. team headed to Sochi, where para-snowboarding will make its Paralympic debut. The double amputee who lives and trains at Copper Mountain, Colo., says the sponsorship will help pay for new prosthetic legs that she'll use to snowboard.

"My legs are at least $30,000 for the pair," said Purdy, who will travel to Florida for adjustments to the equipment. "All of the training, competition, all of that stuff is on the athlete; it's not necessarily all covered. In order to get to this level of competition, we need the help of sponsors like Coca Cola. It really wouldn't be possible without their support."
    The article also mentions that Purdy was a contestant on The Amazing Race last season.

Another article: http://nysportsjournalism.squarespac...sochi-201.html
    Coca-Cola is a global sponsor of the International Olympic Committee and the U.S. Olympic Committee, along with ATOS, Dow, General Electric, McDonald's, Omega, Panasonic, Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Visa.

Coke is also one of just three presenting sponsors of the 2014 Sochi Torch Relay (along with JSC Russian Railways and Ingosstrakh Insurance). According to tradition, the Olympic flame will be lit in Olympia, Greece, then transported to Moscow on Oct, 7, 2013. It will begin its journey across Russia the next day en route to the Sochi Games, which run Feb. 7-23, 2014. The Paralympics Games will run March 7-16.

Kwan was part of a 22-person team that carried the Olympic Torch during the U.S. portion of the route, also sponsored in part by Coke, prior to the 2012 Summer Games in London.
    Re. Samsung - Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has picked up a sponsorship role with them as posted in the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3937889
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-14-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Personally I find it weird that MK is still doing these kinds of sponsorships because she hasn't been competing for years. Also, it's not even sure that Evan will be at Sochi, either. Two skaters who haven't been competing for years and might not even be at Sochi. For figure skating's popularity in the U.S it would be crucial to make deals with CURRENT skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Personally I find it weird that MK is still doing these kinds of sponsorships because she hasn't been competing for years. Also, it's not even sure that Evan will be at Sochi, either. Two skaters who haven't been competing for years and might not even be at Sochi. For figure skating's popularity in the U.S it would be crucial to make deals with CURRENT skaters.
    I agree...you can't grow figure skating's future by continually living in the past. Sure, we must honor the past, respect the past, remember the past...but we also need to celebrate the NOW and to look toward the FUTURE.

vCash
    Well Wagner and Gold also have Nike deals.

vCash
    Until the current US skaters not including D&W do something worthwhile that makes it worth getting a sponsorship they will continue to go back to former champions who have won the big competitions, legends like Michelle and the defending Olympic champion Evan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I agree...you can't grow figure skating's future by continually living in the past. Sure, we must honor the past, respect the past, remember the past...but we also need to celebrate the NOW and to look toward the FUTURE.
    I don't think that an advertising program that will require work leading into Olys is well suited for current skaters, simply because the current skaters are too busy training. I don't think Coke wants a repeat of last time where they featured some promising up-and-comers who ended up not even making the Oly team.

vCash
    Considering Kwan and Lysacek share the same agent, it's not surprising they are also sharing an endorsement deal. Coke was probably interested in one skater and Shep offered the other skater as well in a standard piggyback deal. Happens all the time in the sports world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Considering Kwan and Lysacek share the same agent, it's not surprising they are also sharing an endorsement deal. Coke was probably interested in one skater and Shep offered the other skater as well in a standard piggyback deal. Happens all the time in the sports world.
    ^^I'm sure Shep was happy about it ($$$$) but you can't deny it makes sense with Evan being the current OGM. Even if he doesn't come back to competition his involvement in the endorsement is still relevant. Michelle had an endorsement with Coke back when she was competing and Coke also sponsored the Special Olympics and Michelle is on the board for that event. They know her and love what she stands for. Plus, their message is right up her alley seeing as how she's also a member of the President's Council on Fitness, etc. Add her skating legend status and the fact that she's still a draw in the sport...choosing her was a no-brainer. It would be nice to give some of the newer stars a chance but that would be a gamble. When it comes to money, most companies want to make sure they aren't pissing away dollars.

I agree with Jammers. Unfortunately US skaters are a bunch of "nobodies" right now b/c (excluding D&W) there isn't a world champion among them. Newer skaters may get endorsements as the season progresses assuming they have a good season. If Gracie makes the Olympic team (which we're expecting her to but stranger things have happened) I expect the endorsements will come flying in for her in particular. She's a pretty, fresh-faced girl with an all-American look and a name that screams "PLEASE MARKET ME!!".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    If Gracie makes the Olympic team (which we're expecting her to but stranger things have happened) I expect the endorsements will come flying in for her in particular.
    I agree. When it comes to Olympic sports, major companies love female figure skaters. But they just aren't going to throw tons of money at someone who isn't a lock to make the team and right now there isn't a sure shot among the US ladies. Sasha was a lock for the Olympic team in 2006, Michelle in 2006, 2002 and 1998, Tara in 1998, Nancy in 1994 and Kristi in 1992. All ladies received several endorsement deals before the Olympics. The fact that there hasn't been a sure shot among ladies for the last two Olympics means Kwan benefits from that uncertainty and gets additional deals she probably wouldn't get if the US ladies program were stronger right now. She will always get endorsements, a la Dorothy Hamill, but she is still getting relevant ones because no one has stepped forward yet. That will change once one woman breaks through and becomes a consistent force on the competitive scene but for now it hasn't happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    But then again, it is not Coca Cola's job to promote the popularity of figure skating.

vCash
    Some comments from Coca-Cola Director of Olympic Marketing Dina Gerson here:

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...oke-Sochi.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But then again, it is not Coca Cola's job to promote the popularity of figure skating.
    Amen. You hit the nail on the head Mathman.

Coke isn't trying to promote US figure skating...they're using US figure skaters to promote themselves. If the partnership was with the USFSA then I could understand the people who are upset or confused by the choice of Michelle and Evan. But Coke chose to endorse Michelle and Evan b/c of who they are: two marketable stars with ties to the winter Olympic games. They don't care that she hasn't competed since 2005 and there's a chance he won't compete in Sochi. It's better to go with two proven champions to promote them than to spend money on "nobodies" the majority of the world has never even heard of before.

Sad and harsh, but very true.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I suspect it partly has to do with the unpredictability of sports, especially one like figure skating. Considering the heavy sponsorship given to Keauna and Rockne for the same campaign back in 2010 only to see them meltdown at Nationals, finish 5th, and fail to make the Olympic team, they probably don't want to make the same mistake twice. Living in the past by promoting accomplished skaters is probably a lesson learned from having egg on their face due to counting their chickens before they hatch.

I don't think a dry skater like Evan is marketable enough on his own; it's no wonder a bonafide star and sports legend like Michelle Kwan is also attached. A skater like Kwan who humanizes the Olympic experience with her grace and heart is an easy sell and an understandable choice for a marketing campaign.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 06-15-2013 at 03:22 AM.

a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash
    Coke contains 39 grams of sugar in one 12 ounce can, plus phosphoric acid and caffeine and lord knows what else that doesn't have to be listed on the label. Not exactly the drink of elite athletes. But this marketing plan is not about health or athletics, it is about money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I suspect it partly has to do with the unpredictability of sports, especially one like figure skating. Considering the heavy sponsorship given to Keauna and Rockne for the same campaign back in 2010 only to see them meltdown at Nationals, finish 5th, and fail to make the Olympic team, they probably don't want to make the same mistake twice. Living in the past by promoting accomplished skaters is probably a lesson learned from having egg on their face due to counting their chickens before they hatch.

I don't think a dry skater like Evan is marketable enough on his own; it's no wonder a bonafide star and sports legend like Michelle Kwan is also attached. A skater like Kwan who humanizes the Olympic experience with her grace and heart is an easy sell and an understandable choice for a marketing campaign.
    Not everyone shares your opinion of Lysacek:

Over the past two years, the U.S. Olympic Committee, which oversees USFS, has frequently called on Lysacek - .... - to schmooze and speak at fundraisers. "We have found donors love to hear (the athletes') stories," USOC communications director Patrick Sandusky said. "Evan is one of the best story tellers around, and in these intimate settings, he really connects with people and brings the Olympian experience to life."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...figure-skating

vCash
    it think it is nice.

i dont mind it. in fact i am glad she has one.
    i dont find it weird, michelle is out there promoting sportmanship of all sports through her work,
    she does have the degree for it.
    coke does has water, orange juice so it doesn't conflict.
    she was previously with them due to special olympics.

i am just glad there are doing it.

vCash
    I'm curious to know what skaters among the current US skaters who will not be training for & hoping for a spot on the Olympic team you would choose? This question is directed to those of you complaining that Kwan & Lysacek are old news.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast