Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Plastic bottles only end up in landfill or the stomachs of wildlife if the people who drank the Coke don't put them in the recycling bin. It's not Coke's responsibility that some of the people who drink their product are too stupid to do that.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Plastic bottles only end up in landfill or the stomachs of wildlife if the people who drank the Coke don't put them in the recycling bin. It's not Coke's responsibility that some of the people who drink their product are too stupid to do that.

People are lazy and stupid generally when it comes to trash I find, but give them $ incentive and they're more likely to do the right thing. Also a bottles for $ recycling system gives a huge boost to homeless and very poor people. In cities ranging from Delhi to Vancouver the hard up make extra $ by collecting all the empties and taking them to recycling depots.
    And whether it's Coke's responsibility or not why would they spend millions (or whatever) in legal costs to prevent the establishment of a recycling program that has proven to be of benefit at many levels in many countries.
    A $ for recycling program will help address the problem, as has been proven in other countries. Do you think that things should just go on as they are with nothing being done to try to improve the situation?
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    You totally missed my point. I never said "active" = "healthy." I said that many active people I know drink a Coke from time to time to get through their extremely busy and active lives. Others drink coffee, which I find equally unhealthy and don't drink either, but everyone has to do what they have to do to make it through.

You are talking about "healthy" not "active." There is nothing about Coke that suggests it can't be a part of an active lifestyle. I am not equating healthy with active, but it seems you are.

O-
    I didn't miss the point, and I am most certainly not equating healthy with active. Coca cola is. They're marketing ""Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles." And sadly, the people they're choosing are respected, successful athletes...and those athletes have agreed to promote Coke as exactly that, which IMO is encouraging people to drink Coke and make them believe that it is needed to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles. I think it's appalling, dishonest marketing, it's been around forever and I hate it. I hate it even more when it's athletes. I think it's terrible that athletes would agree to it. Coke is saying athletes = active = healthy = Coke. It's BS. And these respected athletes (or former athletes) are agreeing to market it that way, when there is nothing healthy about Coke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    People are lazy and stupid generally when it comes to trash I find, but give them $ incentive and they're more likely to do the right thing. Also a bottles for $ recycling system gives a huge boost to homeless and very poor people. In cities ranging from Delhi to Vancouver the hard up make extra $ by collecting all the empties and taking them to recycling depots.
    And whether it's Coke's responsibility or not why would they spend millions (or whatever) in legal costs to prevent the establishment of a recycling program that has proven to be of benefit at many levels in many countries.
    A $ for recycling program will help address the problem, as has been proven in other countries. Do you think that things should just go on as they are with nothing being done to try to improve the situation?
    You forgot Scouts and Brownies - they actually rely on the money for recycling for a some of their funding! (Or at least the did when I did it, and my nephew still collects now for Scouts).

vCash
    Kwan lost the OGM twice yet still earned more money than the two girls who beat her. What did that say about the value of the OGM?

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Any carbonated drink, including carbonated water like Perrier, is believed to lower calcium levels in the body and weaken bones.

O-
    Absolutely. The acidity of the carbonated drinks causes calcium to be drained from the bones into the blood to even the pH level in the blood.

And then also, the sugar (or the aspartame) is even more :eville:

vCash
    I wish that Nestle, Coca-Cola and other junk would not be endorsed in such hackneyed, contrived campaigns. How about endorsing them for tasting good instead? These products have nothing to do with health or active living. That is an outright lie, and Kwan and Lysacek deserve to be mocked for participating.

vCash
    The general public will think Kwan is still competing.

vCash
    I stopped drinking carbonated drinks and lost 10 pounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kwan lost the OGM twice yet still earned more money than the two girls who beat her. What did that say about the value of the OGM?
    Just goes to show how extraordinary MK was. There is no other non-OGM who has been graced with the kind of love and wealth that Michelle has. It was her, only Michelle Kwan, that made OGM look like nothing but another medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I stopped drinking carbonated drinks and lost 10 pounds.
    I stopped drinking them and didn't lose an ounce. I drink water, on occasion milk. That's it. But I never drank sodas excessively, so cutting them did nothing.

vCash
    Maybe Kwan thinks being on the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition cancels out the coke deal.
    Cheering for the headcases

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Might as well have McDonalds.
    McDonalds has been a worldwide and national Olympic sponsor for many years and sponsors a number of athletes including Patrick Chan.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    McDonalds has been a worldwide and national Olympic sponsor for many years and sponsors a number of athletes including Patrick Chan.
    Hate it.

vCash
    Somehow, I have grave doubts that people who normally don't drink sodas will start because of athlete participation in an ad campaign. What this ad campaign may do is encourage those people who do drink soda to choose Coke over another brand -- which raises money for Olys. Certainly, if athletes did not participate in marketing, Coke (or any other company) wouldn't sponsor Olys ... and I don't think any of the athletes want to face what would happen if no sponsors.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    1) The roster of "official" Olympic sponsors is limited
    2) You could find just about anyone with an objection to any one particular sponsor
    3) I think it's awesome that major US sponsors are still willing to put skaters, especially Evan and Michelle, front and center in their marketing campaigns during the Olympics
    4) Without skating and skaters in people's minds during the Olympics, and without marketable, recognizable names like Evan and Michelle, you might as well bang the final nail into the coffin for skating's popularity in the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    2) You could find just about anyone with an objection to any one particular sponsor
    3) I think it's awesome that major US sponsors are still willing to put skaters, especially Evan and Michelle, front and center in their marketing campaigns during the Olympics
    4) Without skating and skaters in people's minds during the Olympics, and without marketable, recognizable names like Evan and Michelle, you might as well bang the final nail into the coffin for skating's popularity in the US.
    THIS.

Yeah, Coke is evil. Just like every other business that is focused on making a profit (which is the point of business after all). At least Coke contributes to the economy, and makes a positive difference in some important areas. The Coca Cola company has other beverages besides Coke. And I doubt anyone believes Coke the soda, or any soda for that matter, is healthy.

About The Coca-Cola Company

The Coca-Cola Company /quotes/zigman/222647/quotes/nls/ko KO -0.99% is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world's most valuable brand, our Company's portfolio features 16 billion-dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy our beverages at a rate of more than 1.8 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world's top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system associates. For more information, visit Coca-Cola Journey at www.coca-colacompany.com, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo or check out our blog, Coca-Cola Unbottled, at www.coca-colablog.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Yeah well I don't like Coke because in Australia they're fighting a national 10 cent per bottle recycling program - fighting it in the courts with $billions behind them. Meanwhile all their plastic bottles end up in landfills or the stomachs of wild life and seabirds killing them.

Coke =
    Don't blame you at all! I never drink the stuff myself. But I am a realist that understands big business and that it is here to stay. Since that is the case, I try to console myself with some of the good things that some big businesses do, e.g., McDonalds = Ronald McDonald Houses.

O-

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Had it not been for the Virginia Slims tennis circuit in the 70's with the support of Philip Morris, equality for professional tennis players may not have occurred when it did. It didn't mean that we ever saw Billie Jean King puffing on a ciggie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Seconding this!
    No one forces you; or anyone, to drink their products.

vCash
    Honestly, how many of the celebrity spokespeople actually use the products they appear in ads for? At least beyond the time frame when they're getting paid to?
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast