Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by synchrogirl17 View Post
    Thankyou very much, synchrogirl17!

Dilli got the minimum TES in the long program! YAY!

KARUNA!!

vCash
    I've added the skaters who met the international score at wintersun to the hollins list.

Senior Ladies
    Chantelle KERRY

Senior Men
    Andrew DODDS
    Jordan DODDS -wintersun

Senior Pairs
    Paris STEPHENS / Matthew DODDS

Junior Ladies
    Kailani CRAINE
    Serena XU
    Renee HAMBLY
    Jenny LU
    Yancey CHAN
    Kirsten HARGREAVES
    Tahli GILL
    Taylor DEAN -wintersun
    Kristin SECOLA -hollins free, wintersun short
    Haru NOMURA -Short only
    Sarah CULLEN -Free only
    Rachel CAUGHLEY -Free only

Junior Men
    Charlton DOHERTY
    Ryan DODDS -Short only wintersun
    Darian KAPTICH -Free only wintersun (not age eligible for junior)

Junior Pairs
    Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS -wintersun

Junior Dance
    Matilda FRIEND / Patrick ADDERLEY -wintersun
    Rhiarna LAGOUTARIS / Thomas MASTERS -wintersun

Novice Ladies
    Amelia SADLER
    Marga MIDORIKAWA
    Endillion KENYON -Short hollins, free wintersun
    Amelia JACKSON -Short hollins, free wintersun
    Paris STEPHENS -Short only
    Emma CARR -short wintersun
    Alexandra SHEPHERD -short wintersun

Novice Men
    James THOMPSON
    James MIN -Short hollins, free wintersun
    Last edited by sammyf; 07-06-2013 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Someone has to find the time to do that as well.

If this was a professional sport, where those involved got paid you could have expectations of what needs to get done. However with a purely volunteer workforce it is basically people remembering to do things and having the ability to do things. Most people volunteering in skating are learning on the job. And then when someone moves on (usually parents whose kids have dropped out of the sport) there is not much of handover and people have to learn things from scratch.

You want to see it happen go and offer your services to make sure it is done.
    im more than happy to advertise and screen/interview interns for you. I used interns a lot in my business.. the fashion industry wouldn't survive without them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    im more than happy to advertise and screen/interview interns for you. I used interns a lot in my business.. the fashion industry wouldn't survive without them.
    Why would we go through a process of looking for interns when we really just need people to do stuff? Offering to spend time and effort on something like that could be better spent on actually working at a competition, including doing judging, learn to do the computers, playing music at events, doing announcing, being a competition convenor, running test sessions, etc etc.

Seriously if you want to help the sport maybe contact the local club or state association and offer your services to do something such as what I have listed above. Ask individuals involved what is needed. I can tell you now interviewing people for some ill-defined role is not what we need. We have other priorities that deal with the day running of the sport and we really just need volunteers who are willing to learn various roles and commit to being there.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Last edited by AndyWarhol; 07-06-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: eh.

vCash
    Why would we go through a process of looking for interns when we really just need people to do stuff? Offering to spend time and effort on something like that could be better spent on actually working at a competition, including doing judging, learn to do the computers, playing music at events, doing announcing, being a competition convenor, running test sessions, etc etc.

Seriously if you want to help the sport maybe contact the local club or state association and offer your services to do something such as what I have listed above. Ask individuals involved what is needed. I can tell you now interviewing people for some ill-defined role is not what we need. We have other priorities that deal with the day running of the sport and we really just need volunteers who are willing to learn various roles and commit to being there.
    Why wouldn't you consider taking the time to give someone the incentive by creating an internship? I'm not surprised you get no help. Other organizations find ways to encourage talented students by advertising work experiences they can put on their resumes-- and find ways to make the interns feel valued and important. You have got to start somewhere. Just expecting help on your own terms may not be enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Why wouldn't you consider taking the time to give someone the incentive by creating an internship? I'm not surprised you get no help. Other organizations find ways to encourage talented students by advertising work experiences they can put on their resumes-- and find ways to make the interns feel valued and important. You have got to start somewhere. Just expecting help on your own terms may not be enough.
    Please don't assume that is a reason why we have trouble getting volunteers. Maybe go and talk to a club and ask them what they need instead of assuming what the answer is.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    AW - what do you think the reason for not having enough volunteers is?

Plenty of places promote interns instead of volunteers because it sounds better on a resume. Essentially the same work, different title. I actually know a lot of skating clubs (and other sports clubs and organisations) doing this, and they have more dedicated, long-term volunteers/interns, better training (because it's not just for one thing/event) and are more organised because of it.

vCash
    Please don't assume that is a reason why we have trouble getting volunteers. Maybe go and talk to a club and ask them what they need instead of assuming what the answer is.
    I don't know the answer, but having volunteered and working in an organisation which takes in volunteers (particularly students), I do know that there are substantial paper work and obligation involved in relation to accepting 'volunteers' - eg. legal, insurance and OHS. If there are children involved, then all volunteers need to have a blue card. If any volunteers get hurt during their volunteering time, the organisation is liable. I can only guess that unless the organisation has a proper structure and manpower in place to take care of the volunteers, you may be creating future problems for yourself. That's my guess.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Here is the official international pool. http://www.hisc.com.au/wp-content/up...ional-Pool.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12