Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

2013 Hollins Trophy, WinterSun, other Australian & New Zealand competitions

2013 Hollins Trophy, June 7-10 (first of 2 Australian competitions for international ranking points) - results page: http://www.nswisa.com/results/2013/hollins/index.htm

2013 WinterSun, July 3-7 (2nd of 2 AUS comps for international ranking points) - info page: http://www.ifsc.org.au/WinterSun-2013.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oh my god the Junior and Senior comps this year were a mess. Splat, splat, splat, unders, downgrades everywhere. Skaters angry with the tech panel's rulings. A skater having money in her pocket when she went out for the warmup which promptly scattered everywhere. Spins not held. Timings all skew-iff. We didn't get done with the Senior Men's til nearly midnight.

vCash
    Skating that late? No wonder they weren't at their best. Skaters time their arrivals and warm ups. They can factor in running a bit late, but hours and hours late can really throw them off.

vCash
    Skaters who met the minimum TES here for the international pool. http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...0Benchmark.pdf They need to meet short and free skate, some only met one or the other and it's listed below. Some of them seem much harder than others like 20TES for free for Novice ladies. A lot of skaters have already met the criteria and didn't need to meet it again http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...0Benchmark.pdf

Senior Ladies
    Chantelle KERRY

Senior Men
    Andrew DODDS

Senior Pairs
    Paris STEPHENS / Matthew DODDS

Junior Ladies
    Kailani CRAINE
    Serena XU
    Renee HAMBLY
    Jenny LU
    Yancey CHAN
    Kirsten HARGREAVES
    Tahli GILL
    Haru NOMURA -Short only
    Sarah CULLEN -Free only
    Kristin SECOLA -Free only
    Rachel CAUGHLEY -Free only

Junior Men
    Charlton DOHERTY

Junior Pairs
    Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS -Short only

Junior Dance
    Matilda FRIEND / Patrick ADDERLEY -Skated short only
    Rhiarna LAGOUTARIS / Thomas MASTERS -Skated short only

Novice Ladies
    Amelia SADLER
    Marga MIDORIKAWA
    Amelia JACKSON -Short only
    Endillion KENYON -Short only
    Paris STEPHENS -Short only

Novice Men
    James THOMPSON
    James MIN -Short only

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Oh my god the Junior and Senior comps this year were a mess. Splat, splat, splat, unders, downgrades everywhere. Skaters angry with the tech panel's rulings. A skater having money in her pocket when she went out for the warmup which promptly scattered everywhere. Spins not held. Timings all skew-iff. We didn't get done with the Senior Men's til nearly midnight.
    I'm happy if I see a skater land some clean doubles, rather than going for harder jumps they're only iffy with.

vCash
    The 20 TES in the Novice Ladies seems a little...excessive? Or is that just me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I'm happy if I see a skater land some clean doubles, rather than going for harder jumps they're only iffy with.
    I disagree. Would much rather see a skater risk a high placement by going for triples than doing doubles. It makes it more exciting. Kailani is a good example, she could easily go win with clean doubles by goes for the triples even when the are cheated.

vCash
    Anyone have new favourite programs for this season ???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Anyone have new favourite programs for this season ???
    NOT anybody's Matrix. By the third one in two days I was thoroughly sick of the music.

Really liked Jordan and Eliza's SP in the pairs. Just gorgeous.

vCash
    Oh, now I remember which program was my absolute favourite!

It was a Junior lady (and I'll be jiggered if I can remember her name), but she had the biggest double Axel I've ever seen and her short program was a super excellent Lady Gaga mix. It was brilliant! I wish I could remember her name!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I disagree. Would much rather see a skater risk a high placement by going for triples than doing doubles. It makes it more exciting. Kailani is a good example, she could easily go win with clean doubles by goes for the triples even when the are cheated.
    Exactly, the girls not even trying the triples and double axels in Junior are only going to look like a joke. I guess it's fine if you have no intention of EVER competing internationally...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Oh, now I remember which program was my absolute favourite!

It was a Junior lady (and I'll be jiggered if I can remember her name), but she had the biggest double Axel I've ever seen and her short program was a super excellent Lady Gaga mix. It was brilliant! I wish I could remember her name!
    (Renee Hambly) The skater with the ridiculous hair do that made it look like she had an afro that continued onto her shoulders in both programs? It drew away from her skating, which in some part worked in her favour as she is not a very artistic skater in the first place. Her strong jumps will save her on this, but she needs to be having more goes at the triples, I have seen Renee Hambly land triples many years ago and I realize that she is probably going through body changes which can shake the consistency of your jumps but it just seems as though she is going backwards technically speaking..

Cant say I agree with you on the pair team either. They missed elements which is understandably a downer, but the entire program looked like they had given up and didn't want to be there from the get go. Lots of sour looks and no feeling. Both other teams, including the not as technically advanced novice team are much better to watch for this reason.

vCash
    Did everyone like the rink? Has been a long time since I have been to an event there. Not a bad facility although a little cold.
    Would not mind to have Hollins there more often, never was a big fan of canterbury. Although I can't imagine them wanting to give up their interstate event to another rink.

All in all the competition was well run, minus the schedule which had our senior divisions skating very late nights. Not exactly in the best interest of the skaters, then again, i can't think whose interest it would have been in at any rate.

vCash
    Sorry for the multiple posts, I haven't quite mastered the multi quote function yet

On a final note, has anyone made a thread for the Australian International later this year yet? "Skate Downunder" I would be happy to make it just not sure which section? Kiss&Cry?

vCash
    I liked Renee because she was a breath of fresh air and definitely showed some personality out there on the ice. And she was interesting and memorable in a very good way and I enjoyed her. However she is only 14 years old so I think to be negative about her is uncalled for.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I liked Renee because she was a breath of fresh air and definitely showed some personality out there on the ice. And she was interesting and memorable in a very good way and I enjoyed her. However she is only 14 years old so I think to be negative about her is uncalled for.
    She's only 14? Wow! I still can't get over the size of that double Axel - some of the men there would have been jealous.

vCash
    Trying to find Wintersun results is like pulling bloody teeth...

vCash
    Well they are volunteers and probably working their butts off. Maybe they haven't had time to do it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    If positions were advertised as internships, there would be a lot more free workers to help with speeding up these things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    If positions were advertised as internships, there would be a lot more free workers to help with speeding up these things.
    Someone has to find the time to do that as well.

If this was a professional sport, where those involved got paid you could have expectations of what needs to get done. However with a purely volunteer workforce it is basically people remembering to do things and having the ability to do things. Most people volunteering in skating are learning on the job. And then when someone moves on (usually parents whose kids have dropped out of the sport) there is not much of handover and people have to learn things from scratch.

You want to see it happen go and offer your services to make sure it is done.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 07-05-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast