Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting this classy statement/FB reply by Logan that was posted in the GP Assignments thread:
    Good for him/them and happy to hear they are going for it! I guess this is another reason I could never have been an elite athlete. I don't think I could survive these emotional and psychological ups and downs and still stay motivated

vCash
    Logan's post makes me even more a fan of Lynn & Logan than I was before!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter have won their first JGP medal (silver) in Latvia! Their teammates in Wheaton, MD (WISA), Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis, finished 4th with much improved ISU PB scores.
    ETA videos:
    McNamara/Carpenter (2nd in both SD & FD): Short Dance / Free Dance
    Pogrebinsky/Gudis (4th in both SD & FD): Short Dance / Free Dance

On a related note, here's an article on another WISA team - 2013 U.S. Juvenile Dance champs Caroline & Gordon Green: http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...e-gordon-green
    Thank you, Sylvia. Congratulations to McNamara & Carpenter and the Wheaton team! WISA ice dancing is a very grassroot effort with almost no political clout or reputation on either the national or international level. The coaching team has achieved something amazing in the past decade for not only US skating but also the local community. I hope they continue the excellence and attract more children into skating, especially ice dancing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Unless there is a written policy that is flaunted -- and I think it has been with the farce of international criteria listed for the World team selection policy -- USFS is entitled to change its selection process and strategy, and, so far, there's no indication that there is one for GP selection, public or private (and if private, only those inside know if its been changed and/or followed.) When they set a precedent or pattern, though, I think it's reasonable to expect they will follow it, and people who do expect this are not irrational fans with blinders on. "Spreading the wealth," the recent pattern, is a legitimate way of using resources for the teams/skaters that are unlikely to place high in Sochi, if they make the team. So is getting as much international attention as possible for a team that is, based on past performance, is, all things being equal, likely to be fourth, which could be a consideration in an Olympic year.

So is rewarding a club for hosting the event and making it exceedingly convenient for the strongest-performing discipline for the US in terms of lack of travel, less lost training time and interruptions, and not having to pay the coaches for lost lesson time, and it's a win/win for the host for travel costs. (And all of the skaters will have their skates and costumes, assuming Zhulin brings Z/S early to acclimate ) Just like the third team from any country hangs in the political winds, Shpilband coaches (T/S) and co-coaches (C/L, C/J, R/R), half the field at SA, including the strong favorite for silver, Zoueva has the other two likely medalists, and Zhulin had the last non-TBA spot. Recognizing the exceptionally strong coaches at the host club who otherwise would have no entries in their own discipline is good bidness, especially when their team has been to Worlds and placed Top 10 their first full season together. These aren't stupid considerations, and it's not as if USFS has bypassed a team with far stellar international results to do so, but it's a break with recent precedent.

Had K/G-S moved to Shpilband at the beginning of last season instead of this one, it might have been a different story, since the upside -- politically and technically, as they already have a beautiful, defined style -- would have great for them. (I understand the turmoil going on at the time and why they wouldn't have.) To my eyes, H/D were stagnant last year, and I'm not sure they have as much of an upside, but it could have been sophomore slump. W/P took a couple of years to gel, and H/D could make the leap.
    I think this being an Olympic year is what is marking the difference in USFS's decisions.

Anyway, about H/D being stagnant last year. They might have had better scores had they chosen to stick close to what they'd done their first year, but I respected them greatly for challenging themselves with demanding programs, particularly the flamenco. I'm guessing the time they had to invest in mastering the specific character and movement for that dance style, ultimately cut into time needed to equally tend to the technical side of things. But despite missing Worlds, I don't think that last year was wasted time at all. By Nationals they displayed impressive growth and I think that foundation will serve them well this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Logan's post makes me even more a fan of Lynn & Logan than I was before!
    Wish all the best to Lynn and Logan! Could they represent another country?

vCash
    Maybe Thailand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Maybe Thailand!
    At keast they could compete at 4CC and WCh for Thailand

vCash
    They won't get released from USFS until sitting out a year or two. Remember Morgan Mathews??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    They won't get released from USFS until sitting out a year or two. Remember Morgan Mathews??
    Sad If USFS dont let them to compete internationally, why thry will not gove them chance to compete for another country?
    I like this team amd wish to see them not only at USA Nationals.
    And i like Madi and Zach too. What i need to do?

vCash
    Even if Lynn and Logan don't end up in the top 3 at 2014 Nationals, the 4th-6th place teams will get to go to Four Continents in Taipei - it would be K/G-S's first 4CC.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That was an entirely different case. Matthews/Zavozin were JGPF and World Junior Champions two years before they split, and had won 4 Continents silver as Seniors. USFS wouldn't release Morgan to skate for Canada because of M/Z's recent ISU Championship achievements. Morgan was quite young (20 in 2007) and with a new Canadian partner, could present a serious future challenge to US ice dance teams. (BTW, Canada wouldn't release Leif Gislason to skate for the US either, even though he hadn't achieved nearly as much success as Morgan. I guess they felt Morgan could achieve even more with Leif than she had with Max, which would challenge Canada in ice dance).

Lynn and Logan at 25 and 28 haven't achieved quite the same level of international success, with medals in 5 International B events (including two Ice Challege golds). I doubt USFS would hold them back nearly as long as Matthews.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It was an entirely different situation by the official release policy (written) at the time. Because of her results with Zavozin, USFS could hold her up to four seasons, and that's what they did. They did not, however, hold Zavozin for the same length of time.

K/G-S do not have the results to be held for more than two seasons, which USFS made into 2+ for Piper Gilles, by those rules. I've been asking for years if the rules have been changed or updated, but never got an answer.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    So there is no way that K/G-S could just jump ship and offer to represent Thailand at Nebelhorn to try to earn an Olympic spot?

Do I need to add that this was tongue in cheek?
    Last edited by Conga; 09-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.

vCash
    As I mentioned, at least one or two years.....USFS never set up any definite rule/regulation for whatever.... Weaver sat out one or two years, same as Piper. Max did not have to sit out at all when Morgan sounded like indefinite....ended up she quit skating...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There was a written rule/regulation when Matthew's asked for release, because it was posted here, quoted from some official documentation, with a description of how someone objected to such a long release time, IIRC during a general meeting, and it was swept into some committee that shut the door on the process. It said that two years was maximum time to be held without release, unless the skater(s) met certain competitive criteria, and the then the up-to-four-year hold could be applied from the time the skater(s) earned those medals/placements.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    As I mentioned, at least one or two years.....USFS never set up any definite rule/regulation for whatever.... Weaver sat out one or two years, same as Piper. Max did not have to sit out at all when Morgan sounded like indefinite....ended up she quit skating...
    Weaver-Poje teamed up in August 2006 and competed on the Junior Grand Prix in the fall of 2006. Her final U.S. competition was 2006 nationals. She didn't sit out one or two seasons, because she had not competed internationally for the U.S. at a Grand Prix, junior worlds, etc.

vCash
    Kaitlyn competed with her former U.S. partner at two junior Grand Prix events in the fall of 2005, one in Andorra and one in Croatia. She was allowed to compete for Canada internationally almost exactly one year after her last international competition for the U.S. It is my theory that releases from USFS became much more difficult after her success competing for Canada.
    waking up in the city that never sleeps

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I know this is all idle (and a little bit fun) speculation, but maybe K/G-S should actually quickly check things out for the possibility. I have no idea how one contacts another skating federation for this purpose, but I imagine Igor would

I've said it before, but I still wish that the GP spots hadn't been reduced. That's part of the problem for all these athletes.

vCash
    I believe Skate Canada released Leif the following season to skate with Morgan for the U.S. At least, they competed at U.S. Nats in 09, or were they not int'l-eligible then?

Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Weaver-Poje teamed up in August 2006 and competed on the Junior Grand Prix in the fall of 2006. Her final U.S. competition was 2006 nationals. She didn't sit out one or two seasons, because she had not competed internationally for the U.S. at a Grand Prix, junior worlds, etc.
    Did Weaver and U.S. partner medal on the JGP, though? I remember Augie Hill also had to sit out a year (or two?) at around the same time when he wanted to compete for Canada b/c he'd won a medal on the JGP. If Weaver and partner didn't medal, then that could explain her quick release.

vCash
    Morgan did compete with Leif Gislason at US Nationals- forget the year. She quit because of a severe back injury as well as an eating disorder. It had nothing to do with not being released, etc.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast