Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    The ISU Website shows A&E as 4th ranked United States Team in "World Ranking" and in "Seasons Best Ranking".

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Reeds bumped Tobias/Stagniunas (Skate America) from the Top 24 SB list with their WTT score. T/S were ahead of K/G-S after the World Championships, with the Reeds down the list.

The Announcement is contradictory, in that it says one the one hand that all of the Top 24 SB without two get a second in ranking order (assuming there aren't three from their country already, they aren't already assigned, etc.), but on the other hand, allows the host to choose from among the top five, regardless of ranking, and the hosts generally choose what is most expedient, i.e., lower-ranked skaters who aren't competition for their skaters and who are cheap to transport. Not only that, they don't have to offer a spot to everyone in the original top five before going to the next five: they replace the chosen skater with the newest, lowest-ranked skater to join the group of five.

However, this season, 11 of the Top 24 don't have a second spot, with only four host spots left to assign, and with no guarantee that USFS will give its host spot to Hubbell/Donohue, and even if the hosts wanted to go below Top 24 SB and China decides to toss back its third spot, it will take three picks before the Top five isn't made entirely of teams in the top 24 SB, and more if USFS, the French Fed, and the Russian Fed don't assign their TBA's to skaters in this group. (The French Fed, i.e., DG, has its own criteria du jour for whether they'll even fill their TBA or toss it back into the pool, but Russia would be digging deep -- Pushkash/Guerriero are SB 39 -- to find a senior team outside Stepanova/Bukin, Monko/Khaliavin, or Sinitsina/Zhiganshin to which to assign the host pick.)

Before any host TBAs are assigned, the first group of five is:

Coomes/Buckland (SB 13, TEB)
    Stepanova/Bukin (SB 14, SC)
    Monko/Khaliavin (SB 15, TEB)
    Hubbell/Donohue (SB 17, SC)
    Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (SB 18, TEB)

Next two, in case USFS and the Russian Fed assign TBA's from that group, are:

Zlobina/Sitnikov (SB 19, SA)
    Papadakis/Cizeron (SB 20, RC)

Of course, the French Fed might choose P/C for TEB, in which case

Kolbe/Caruso (SB 21, JPN) could round out the first five.

Then there's still

Guignard/Fabbri (SB 22, CAN) and Heekin-Canedy/Dun (SB 23, RUS).

To put it in perspective, last season there were two substitutions after the host TBAs were assigned (Orford/Williams for Nazarova/Nikitin and Zlovina/Sitnikov for Zahorski/Miart), because Tobias/Stagniunas were not replaced at Skate America. It wasn't even an Olympic season last year, and this year I'd expect skaters to hold onto their spots for dear life if for no other reason than to be well-placed for the next Olympic cycle. China is the only country with GP spots (only to CoC) that has to qualify at Nebelhorn; it could decide to toss even two spots back in if no one qualifies for the Olympics at Nebelhorn, which could be a nail-biter. (Does Neil Brown have CZE citizenship?)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The Reeds bumped Tobias/Stagniunas (Skate America) from the Top 24 SB list with their WTT score. T/S were ahead of K/G-S after the World Championships, with the Reeds down the list.
    T/S were in 23rd and K/G-S were 24th before WTT, with both the Reeds and M/K achieving higher scores at WTT.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh, I had forgotten that Monko/Khaliavin weren't already Top 24 before WTT and that the Reeds weren't the only one with the big score at WTT.

Interesting that WTT TES don't count towards the new GP technical minimums.

In any case, the chances of K/G-S getting into a group with a chance to be chosen are not great, given the number of Top 24 SB teams with one, since there were no splits or retirements and all 24 are senior teams this year. Pairs on the alternates lists, are "lucky" in that three of the Top 24 teams and SB 26 remain junior, while SB 25 split. (They have two split couples at the top of the list, though.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Thanks for the complete breakdown, kwanfan1818! I didn't understand the complexity of the remaining selection process. USFS still has an open option for the third slot/host pick, though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Interesting that WTT TES don't count towards the new GP technical minimums.
    That is quite interesting and IMO makes it a bit contradictory to have counted the scores in the rankings. (If they hadn't, then K/G-S would have had an initial GP assignment, C/M could be given the SA host pick and I would be a happy camper) I miss the "old days" with more slots for all the talent!

vCash
    ITa about more spots per event being better!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    USFS has one open TBA spot. They can assign it to any age-eligible US team that doesn't already have two. Minimum scores (total or technical) aren't required for host picks.

WTT is 50/50:

It can be used as a top 24 SB score or for the GP total minimum score.
    It can't be used for the GP technical minimums and doesn't earn WS points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post
    The ISU Website shows A&E as 4th ranked United States Team in "World Ranking" and in "Seasons Best Ranking".
    Wow! Impressive! I guess only behind D/W, C/B, Shibs? They're ranked ahead of H/D? I thought their ISU SB score was behind H/D, K/G-S,not in top 24 ?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    A/E have ISU Championship ranking points from 2013 Junior Worlds while H/D's season ended at Nationals.

ISU Season's World Ranking for Ice Dance (2012-13 season): http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrdance.htm
    1 Davis/White 2400
    10 Chock/Bates 1404
    14 Shibutanis 1228
    21 Aldridge/Eaton 939
    28 Hubbell/Donohue 757
    29-tie Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt 745
    37 Hawayek/Baker 655 (JGP this season)
    43 McNamara/Carpenter 545 (JGP)
    57 Parsons/Parsons 351 (JGP)
    70 Cannuscio/McManus 213
    80-tie Pogrebinsky/Gudis 148 (JGP)
    84-tie Heritage/Fast 133
    88-tie Moore/Klaber 120 (JGP)
    98 W. Miller/K. MacMillan 97 (split - she has teamed up with Shane Firus CAN)

ISU World Standings for Ice Dance (before the start of the 2013-14 season): http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm
    2 D/W 3996
    9 S/S 2462
    13 C/B 1933
    18 A/E 1559
    20 H/D 1483
    32 K/G-S 1085

ISU Judging System - Season Bests Total Scores 2012/2013
    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtsdto.htm
    1 189.56 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA World Championships 2013 16.03.2013
    8 164.91 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU World Team Trophy 2013 12.04.2013
    9 159.97 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2013 10.02.2013
    17 145.23 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Trophee Bompard 2012 17.11.2012
    26 141.41 Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT / Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2012 21.10.2012
    27 139.33 Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON USA World Junior Championships 2013 01.03.2013
    29 138.61 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU JGP Pokal d. Blauen Schwerter 2012 13.10.2012
    35 134.09 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA ISU JGP Croatia Cup 2012 06.10.2012
    40 128.16 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU JGP Bosphorus 2012 22.09.2012
    49 122.37 Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2012 21.10.2012
    67 109.73 Elliana POGREBINSKY / Ross GUDIS USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2012 01.09.2012
    80 103.04 Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER USA ISU JGP Courchevel 2012 25.08.2012
    81 102.81 Madeline HERITAGE / Nathaniel FAST USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2012 01.09.2012
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Pretty sure China isn't going to give up the third dance slot. Yiyi Zhang/Nan Wu who was at JW for the past seasons have aged out of junior. They are likely to get that third spot. Even if China doesn't get an Olympics dance spot, one team is still going to be doing Olympics Team Event if I'm correct. France is definitely going to pick P/C for the TBA.

I think the SA TBA will go to Lynn and Logan. I don't know why they had picked the Shibs for a SA spot when they are most certainly guaranteed two elsewhere. A/E should have gotten that spot and Lynn/Logan the third. All that aside, I fully believe A/E is the fourth best U.S. team at the moment.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One result of spreading the GP wealth and limiting Senior B participation is that only the very top teams end up with high SB's and WS and the second GP chance.

In 2011-12, USFS assigned D/W and had two TBD's to SA in the initial selection. The Shibs were assigned to back-to-back CoC and NHK. USFS later assigned H/D and Cannuscio/Lorello to SA. Returning split couples Chock/Bates (SC, TEB) and Samuelson/Gilles (CoC) were assigned from the top of the alternates list. That season, only groups of three (now five) were created after the Top 24 got a second, and the only non-host/non-returning split couple substitution was Tobias/Stagniunas for SA; they were SB 24.

In 2012-13, USFS assigned D/W and K/G-S and had one TBA to SA in the initial selection. The Shibs and H/D (Top 12 at 2013 Worlds) were assigned to two (RC, NHK and SC, TEB), and Chock/Bates got CoC (20 SB). USFS later assigned Cannuscio/McManus to the TBA spot. Host picks no longer had to earn the GP (total) minimum score. No US teams were chosen from the alternates list, although C/B were in the Top Five and Top 24 SB. The next US couple down the SB list was K/G-S, and they were seven slots away from making the Top Five group.

I'm assuming the Shibs were invited to SA this year because they train in the Detroit area, and they could draw a local crowd especially from their college classmates, as well as giving TV and marketing the "former Worlds bronze medalists" angle. It also get them early feedback in the Olympic season, lets them stay home with minimum interruption to their training schedule, and gives them a break to absorb the feedback and make any tweaks before Japan, where they're also popular and are competing with Davis/White. By definition, Zoueva has to be at four of six GP events, which is better than five or six of six; she may have had some influence there as well. It's interesting the C/B got the worst travel schedule of the US teams, going first to China, then to Russia, but at least they're three weeks apart, too.

I don't see USFS pushing anyone new into the next Olympic cycle: they've already got the Shibs, C/B, and H/D (SC) in line with A/E on the way up and proven internationally, and while teams certainly improve, none of the other US teams have made much of a splash internationally or are highly competitive for an Olympic spot the way the field stands now. There's a boatload of points between K/L-S (5th US Nats) and the podium and another big gap between them and C/M (6th US Nats). Coming off a Jr. National championship and a Jr. World bronze, USFS might want to invest in A/E this year to introduce them to a wider TV audience and get them as much attention from senior international judging panels as possible, since there would have to be a rash of withdrawals for them to even make the Top Five alternates. A/E are also local, and it would be a good thing to support another area coaching team, especially one as accomplished as Krylova and Camerlengo. With no returning split couples in Dance, H/D have a reasonable shot to get an alternates spot if USFS is willing to use its influence, assuming there are at least a couple of withdrawals over the course of the GP season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post
    My observation is not exactly applicable to this thread...but staying Junior Internationally sets you up extremely well for the following season, despite the temptation to test the Senior waters.
    Placements in JGP will be higher than if you moved to the Senior GP (if still age eligible for JGP)..and builds both JGP and JGPF ( more entries that Sr GP) points.
    It is the reasoning behind some well placed National skaters staying Junior this season.
    It is a huge benefit in the post Olympic season.

vCash
    Tweet from the show at Novi today:

lynn and logan fell on a lift and had to stop the program, she was helped off the ice.
    I hope she's ok!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ @blockedplant is the Twitter account. ETA: My unofficial hearsay info is that Lynn is okay.

"We had some setbacks this month with injuries, but we are recovering well." - from Lynn & Logan's Lake Placid IDC blog last week: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-09-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Ice-dancing sibling duo Alex and Maia Shibutani open up about their viral YouTube videos, how they survived ballroom dancing bootcamp and their secret to staying relaxed." Video (1 min. 40 secs): http://nbcolympics.com/video/shibuta...tcamp-and-more

ETA the JGP dance assignments so far:

Riga, Latvia:
    Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER
    Elliana POGREBINSKY / Ross GUDIS

Mexico City:
    Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER
    Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE

Kosice, Slovakia:
    Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER
    Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS

Listed alternates:
    Tory PATSIS / Joseph JOHNSON
    Sammi WREN / Alexey SHCHEPETOV
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-13-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To add JGP assignments so far

vCash
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.com.au/2...airut-and.html

Interwie with Lynn Kriengkrairut And Logan Giulietti-Schmitt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.com.au/2...airut-and.html

Interwie with Lynn Kriengkrairut And Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
    Thanks for the link, pani. Still would have liked for them to have gotten the SA spot. They must be pretty bummed about it.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Thanks for the link, pani. Still would have liked for them to have gotten the SA spot. They must be pretty bummed about it.
    It hasn't been assigned yet. They'd better get it.....
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Champs Camp thread - tweeted by @Lynn Rutherford on Wednesday 8/21:
    Champs Camp: Aldridge & Eaton will not perform their programs here, due to Eaton's ankle injury, said coach Pasquale Camerlengo.
    Champs Camp, cont.: "It happened in Lake Placid, torn ligaments; it's getting much better but not ready yet," Camerlengo said of Eaton.
    Tweeted by Charlie White on Tuesday 8/20:
    Reppin those school colors at the Olympic Training center #goblue #goteamusa http://instagram.com/p/dQX5KxMT6S/
    ETA link to Madison Hubbell's blog thread - she wrote a new entry on 8/16 before Champs Camp: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3974990

Photo tweeted by USFS today (Friday 8/23) from Champs Camp: "@MadiHubbell and @ZachTDonohue doing a great job in the video studio!" http://instagram.com/p/dXUr9Jm33d/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-23-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: To add links

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    It hasn't been assigned yet. They'd better get it.....
    I'm confused with you, TanithandBenFan, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. If K/G-S were going to get the SA spot, I think it would have been assigned with all the other TBAs so that they could have benefited from attending Champs Camp.

IIRC (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) before they changed the camp to be for Grand Prix skaters only, it included ALL Team A and B senior level athletes. It probably was a budget issue, but it's only a handful of additional skaters and it really is too bad that decision was made. IMO, all of the international competitors could benefit from what is understood to be comprehensive evaluations and feedback plus there has to be an associated psychological boost as well.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast