Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 241 to 258 of 258
  1. #241
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    My top 3 FDs so far: 1. Davis/White 2. Lynn/Logan 3. Parsons
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  2. #242
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    My top 3 FDs so far: 1. Davis/White 2. Lynn/Logan 3. Parsons
    The Parsonses' Twilight free dance is lovely. I also LOOOOVE the Gamelins' free dance. Not to be missed.

  3. #243

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    3,991
    vCash
    18666
    Rep Power
    1487
    One of my new favourite teams this season so far are H/D .I 've only seen them once before doing their Titanic programme.I love their SD and FD .They are gorgeous together lovely edges and flow and great chemistry Are they a couple off ice as Madison said I love you before the SD ?Have they a good shot for a place against S/S and C/B ? I hope so.

  4. #244

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1671
    Yes Maddie and Zach are a couple on and off the ice.

  5. #245
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    211
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I think they have a shot for an Olympic berth against S/S and C/B. I haven't seen Shibs' programs yet, but much prefer Hubbell/Donahue's to Chock/Bates'. I heartily dislike the C/B FD. And it appears that H/D have improved a lot.

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    782
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3147
    It's going to be heartbreaking no matter who gets left out. I wish we had 5 spots.

  7. #247
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am really looking forward to Skate America. We will get to see the improvements that have been made to D/W and H/D's programs and the debut of the Shibs. I think we will have a better handle on the "pecking order" of the US teams after this weekend. I love H/D's programs this season and I am really hoping they perform well this weekend and that the judges agree with me!!!

  8. #248

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,558
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    One of my new favourite teams this season so far are H/D.
    FYI, there's a thread in the Trash Can with links to Madison Hubbell's blog for IN if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...14-Season-Blog

    Any objections if a new thread is started in GSD for U.S. ice dance news & discussion since summer is over?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  9. #249
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hubbell and Donohue have had problems with levels last season. I hope their coaching team is able to fix it.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 10-16-2013 at 06:45 PM.

  10. #250

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    254
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    One of my new favourite teams this season so far are H/D .I 've only seen them once before doing their Titanic programme.I love their SD and FD .They are gorgeous together lovely edges and flow and great chemistry Are they a couple off ice as Madison said I love you before the SD ?Have they a good shot for a place against S/S and C/B ? I hope so.
    If they skate well enough, they should have a shot. They've proven to be pretty great competitors. But, I am still nervous at the role politics could play at Nationals. Regardless, I hope they do their best so no matter what happens they can walk away proud of themselves.

  11. #251
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

    Any objections if a new thread is started in GSD for U.S. ice dance news & discussion since summer is over?
    Or could we get the moderators to just change the title and delete the summer reference? This thread has some good video links I would hate to lose.

  12. #252
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    If they skate well enough, they should have a shot. They've proven to be pretty great competitors. But, I am still nervous at the role politics could play at Nationals. Regardless, I hope they do their best so no matter what happens they can walk away proud of themselves.
    I agree about the politics. If the Shibs get ouskated by H/D at SA then they should beat them but i'm afraid the US judges will hold up the Shibs just because they won a medal at Worlds and were thought to be the successors to D/W. But the last couple years showed they are not unless they start improving.
    Last edited by Jammers; 10-16-2013 at 11:16 PM.

  13. #253
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wondered what would have happened to the Shibs if they followed Shpillband to Novi rather than staying with Zueva. It appears that the Shibs stagnated while Chock/Bates, who followed Shpillband, blossomed. As the #1 team, no doubt that the Shibs will get more attention/devotion from Zueva once D/W and V/M retire after this season.

    However, I am not convinced that the Shibs' will improve once they become the #1 team @ Canton. The Shibs' strength always have been their technical superiority with their incredibly quite blade, good speed (not as fast as D/W - no other team does), and ability to gain good levels. The Canton teams all seemed to struggle with levels after Shpillband's departure. In addition, I am just not certain if Zueva can create cutting edge/innovative programs to overcome the inherent disadvantage a sibling team presents.

    I just worry, since I am a big fan of the Shibs - I want them to do well.

  14. #254
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,174
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    I don't think the Shibs will be the No. 1 team in Canton, even if Davis/White leave after this season. I think Zoueva is maneuvering to fill her stable, if not immediately after this season, after other teams become disillusioned with their results and/or their Federations start interfering at the beginning of the next Olympic cycle.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  15. #255
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    I wondered what would have happened to the Shibs if they followed Shpillband to Novi rather than staying with Zueva. It appears that the Shibs stagnated while Chock/Bates, who followed Shpillband, blossomed. As the #1 team, no doubt that the Shibs will get more attention/devotion from Zueva once D/W and V/M retire after this season.

    However, I am not convinced that the Shibs' will improve once they become the #1 team @ Canton. The Shibs' strength always have been their technical superiority with their incredibly quite blade, good speed (not as fast as D/W - no other team does), and ability to gain good levels. The Canton teams all seemed to struggle with levels after Shpillband's departure. In addition, I am just not certain if Zueva can create cutting edge/innovative programs to overcome the inherent disadvantage a sibling team presents.

    I just worry, since I am a big fan of the Shibs - I want them to do well.
    There are other factors, IMO, in the Shibs' recent decline that for whatever reason haven't been talked about very much.

    1.) Alex's injuries in the 2012 season to the early part of 2013. They have been pretty quiet about this, but there's been mention of it in passing.

    2.) Maia's growth spurt. She's still pretty tiny now, but she's a lot taller (and filled out) than she was when she won World bronze a few back.

    I remember when Alex went through that growth spurt a few years back, it was a real struggle for them. I remember a lot of people worried that Maia wouldn't grow and be too short for him!

    While they haven't been super vocal about it, I'm sure it was frustrating to maneuver dances/lifts/etc when your sister isn't a tiny little thing any more.

    The levels are a big problem, but perhaps now that it appears both of them have stopped growing they can focus less on finding their center of gravity/training around injuries and focus more on getting the key points.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.

  16. #256
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I don't think the Shibs will be the No. 1 team in Canton, even if Davis/White leave after this season. I think Zoueva is maneuvering to fill her stable, if not immediately after this season, after other teams become disillusioned with their results and/or their Federations start interfering at the beginning of the next Olympic cycle.
    Kwanfan1818, the above thought occurred to me, too. Maybe it is just me, but I get the sense that Zueva does not know what to do with the Shibs, at least choreography-wise.

    As far as I am concerned, the Shibs had the best two programs for their senior debut season (2010-2011). Their "Carousel Waltz" SD was appropriate for their young age (16 & 19 at that time), and their “smile” and "Let's Face the Music and Dance" beautifully played up to their strengths: elegance, quiet blade-work, wholesomeness and natural exuberance. The relative simplicity of their FD choreography also highlighted their technical excellence, e.g., three sets of swizzles (not many teams did it at that time). The result showed at the 2011 worlds (bronze medal, though they got help from P/B’s disastrous falls).

    I was slightly disappointed with the following season’s FD, which seems like a mere continuation of the previous FD. Although it was more technically challenging, I saw no new innovations other than the extended lift. All other lifts, spins and swizzles were unchanged. To their credit, however, they kept working on their SD program. Although many considered saltry, and sexy Latin dances to be disadvantageous to the Shibs, they collaborated with the renowned ballroom dancing instructor Corky Ballas over 2/3 of the SD choreography. The program improved greatly by the Nationals.

    Many people posted their puzzlement and disappointment over the 2012-2013 “missing” SD. I, too, share the similar sentiments. Although “missing” is one of my all time favorite programs, I felt that it was really wrong for them. “Missing,’ as you know is danced by the legendary French-Canadian sibling team Duchsnays. They are known for innovative programs that are edgy and often in your face – qualities that are diametrically opposed to the Shibs, who are known for polite and wholesomeness. By giving “missing” to the Shibs, I just felt that Zueva was taking an easy way out. I imagined that it would have been paramount for Zueva to dispense her then limited resources to her #1 and 2 teams (D/W & V/M) in order to maintain her status in the ice dance world after the split up with Shpillband.
    The end result could have been short-changing her #3 team with less than original programs. “The Memoirs of a Geisha” FD, though it was beautiful, did not break technical ground, and ended up playing on the Asian stereo-type. As I mentioned previously, they appeared regressing on the technical ends, too, as they did not gain many level 3s and 4s.

    The Shibs are smart and hard working team. I have noticed that they have been increasingly more collaborating with outside experts. Starting with Corky Ballas in the 2011-2012 season, they hired a Japanese dance expert in 2012-2013 season. This season they have multiple expert on both their SD and FD programs. Perhaps this is their way of compensating whatever deficiencies they perceive in training in Canton. I truly wish them the best luck on this Olympic season.
    Last edited by mineko; 10-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.

  17. #257
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    There are other factors, IMO, in the Shibs' recent decline that for whatever reason haven't been talked about very much.

    1.) Alex's injuries in the 2012 season to the early part of 2013. They have been pretty quiet about this, but there's been mention of it in passing.

    2.) Maia's growth spurt. She's still pretty tiny now, but she's a lot taller (and filled out) than she was when she won World bronze a few back.

    I remember when Alex went through that growth spurt a few years back, it was a real struggle for them. I remember a lot of people worried that Maia wouldn't grow and be too short for him!

    While they haven't been super vocal about it, I'm sure it was frustrating to maneuver dances/lifts/etc when your sister isn't a tiny little thing any more.

    The levels are a big problem, but perhaps now that it appears both of them have stopped growing they can focus less on finding their center of gravity/training around injuries and focus more on getting the key points.
    Thanks, Mrs. P. - your explanations are very helpful. I'm glad to read from someone who seems to be sympathetic to the Shibs.

  18. #258
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Or could we get the moderators to just change the title and delete the summer reference? This thread has some good video links I would hate to lose.
    Sylvia tried and got no response, so on to a new thread. Any title suggestions. Do we go with a basic " US Ice Dance News and Notes: The olympic season" or does someone have a "cuter" suggestion?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •