Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Here is Chock/Bates FD from Finlandia Trophy. They were second with a score of 89.72. Overall score of 143.06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXQHFDTk_Y
    For me, the problem of this free dance is that the choreography acknowledges the music in an extremely general way. This is especially apparent in the second half. Amidst the bombastic music, the straight line sequence, breathless transitional moves, and final lift have no concern for timing, rhythm, or matching the music details (and this music has no details). If they missed timing by a few beats who could tell?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Here are the performances from Aldridge/Eaton at the ON Trophy. They placed 6th with a score of 130.49 (78.99 FD and 51.50 SD):

SD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9OFw7F0DE
    FD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3BOgnOC3T4

On the FD link their dance starts about 3:10
    I appreciate that they are taking on a Bollywood theme and using difficult music, but I don't think it works. At best, they have a ton of work to do to make this a mature FD. I expcted them to be in the running for top 5 at Nationals this year, but now I think that's unlikely based on these performances and the choreography/programs they have chosen. I hope they don't become one of those dance teams who are successful juniors, but never make it as seniors and just kind of fizzle out for a season or two before breaking up.

vCash
    Hmm. Chock/Bates--Yes, the vocals are kind of screechy and the music is bombastic. Lifts definitely need work--they all appeared awkward. It's kind of funny--intellectual disconnect--hearing the singers go on about the Revolution and there's Madison in her pretty pink dress and girly hair bow, and while I generally LOVE color on men in general, the bright blue pants feel more "Willy Wonka" to me than French Revolution (forgive me if they're authentic; never seen the play or movie).

Nats will be veeeeerrry interesting. C/B scored 89 here, H/D score 90 at Nebelhorn. . . could be a 3-way fight for those 2 other Sochi spots between these two and the Shibutanis.

Anyone else get Skating magazine? Cover story is about Chock/Bates.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    In the past, a Skating mag cover story has often been a 'kiss of death' for pairs and dance pairs. I remember Samuelson and Bates , Yankowskis (sp?) and Coughlin, Zoueva and Shpilband (Feb 2012-just before their split). Other skaters have been featured shortly before a big competition only to have epic failures in said competition (Abbott) or injury (Alissa). I'm pretty sure there have been others. It's creepy to read about how devoted skaters are, how in sync, etc. and then read about a split/accident later that season.

vCash
    That is an interesting observation Casey2. I wonder what Emily is up to these days.
    Hopefully everyone ends up healthy and happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I appreciate that they are taking on a Bollywood theme and using difficult music, but I don't think it works. At best, they have a ton of work to do to make this a mature FD. I expcted them to be in the running for top 5 at Nationals this year, but now I think that's unlikely based on these performances and the choreography/programs they have chosen. I hope they don't become one of those dance teams who are successful juniors, but never make it as seniors and just kind of fizzle out for a season or two before breaking up.
    I wasn't that impressed at the debut, but hoped it would improve. I think the program needs some tweaking. Something doesn't work for me.

vCash
    So as we wait for the GP to start here is a compilation of the Senior performances (I included video links when I could find them):

Davis/White: 183.69
    SD: 73.67 (35.66 + 38.01, 1Finn-3, 2Finn-3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TJAky40ooU
    FD: 110.02 (53.17 + 57.85, 1pt lift ded.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCYIl...ure=youtu.be&t

Hubbell/Donohue 147.11
    SD: 56.53 (28.07 + 28.46, 1Finn2, 2Finn3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1pcnD3x5s
    FD: 90.58 (45.60 + 44.98) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4-33m-hzk

Chock/Bates 143.06
    SD 53.34 (23.51 + 30. 83, 1Finn2, 2Finn3, 1pt fall deduction) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQX0Jow4koI
    FD 89.72 (42.16 + 47.56) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EcCrHOOCw

Lynn/Logan 134.48
    SD 53.03 (26.50 + 26.53, 1Finn3, 2Finn2)
    FD 81.45 (42.83 + 40.62, 2 pt extended lift deductions)

Aldridge/Eaton 130.49
    SD 51.50 (23.68 + 27.82, 1Finn3, 2Finn1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhR-ABJcZE
    FD 78.99 (39.03 + 40.96, 1 pt extended lift deduction) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OgnOC3T4#t=181

Cannuscio/McManus 119.34
    SD 48.07 (23.84 +24.23, 1Finn1, 2Finn3)
    FD 71.27 (34.86 _37.41, 1 pt extended lift ded.)

Aronow/Brubaker 100.31
    SD 38.01 (16.84 +22.17, 1Finn1, 2Finn1, 1 pt extended lift deduction)
    FD 62.30 (28.57 + 33.73)

vCash
    ..and there has been one writer behind those articals. interesting!

vCash
    Agree with this. This program doesn't work for me. It was always a risk doing this so soon after Davis/White's epic Bollywood SD, and this unfortunately looks like a cheap copy, down to the costuming. It's not an easy genre to pull off especially for the length of an FD. I can't decide whether I like the choreography or not, but the program definitely doesn't look like it's been trained enough--it seemed rather sloppy and skated with leaden feet. I'll put that down to early season kinks being worked out. I might get smacked for saying this, but one thing that doesn't work for me about this program is Alexandra--I don't know whether it's her height, body shape, costume, or what, but she just doesn't look graceful doing this and the "Indian" moves aren't fluid. Haven't seen their SD but based on this, no way they get to top 5 at US Nationals.

Chock/Bates FD is IMO a poor vehicle, especially everything starting with the vocal music, it takes center stage instead of their skating. Hubbell/Donahue looked good and with good programs (beautiful FD). Haven't seen Shibs programs but they need to make their move with C/B vulnerable program-wise--I'm not sure about the cover story "kiss of death" theory but it is intriguing coincidence!

vCash
    So ... do we have 3 teams in JGP final? Are the Parsonses in?

It is a bit ironic that people immediately jump on Aldredge/Eaton's obviously undertrained Bollywood FD through a poor-quality video with hardly discernible music. An undertrained and ill-prepared program with familiar music and dance style would never gather so much immediate rejection, I have to suspect. It's a reminder how incredibly difficult and daring Davis/White's choice were in 2010 and how ill rewarded they were by the establishment. Why would anyone bother to take any risk in ice dance if it is more punished than rewarded? Why wouldn't most programs look the same under a system like this?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    So ... do we have 3 teams in JGP final? Are the Parsonses in?
    Yes, it's official - 3 USA dance teams have qualified for the JGP Final! First time ever, I assume?

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2013/jgpsdance.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, it's official - 3 USA dance teams have qualified for the JGP Final! First time ever, I assume?
    As far as I can remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post

It is a bit ironic that people immediately jump on Aldredge/Eaton's obviously undertrained Bollywood FD through a poor-quality video with hardly discernible music. An undertrained and ill-prepared program with familiar music and dance style would never gather so much immediate rejection, I have to suspect. It's a reminder how incredibly difficult and daring Davis/White's choice were in 2010 and how ill rewarded they were by the establishment. Why would anyone bother to take any risk in ice dance if it is more punished than rewarded? Why wouldn't most programs look the same under a system like this?
    Have they been injured this summer? Is there a reason this dance is more undertrained than the other teams this early in the year? (I'm genuinely asking.)

Davis/White had their breakout season in many ways in 2010, including winning the GPF. Unless I missed something, their Bollywood OD was almost universally adored...

Like I said, I like idea of a Bollywood FD. I don't hate the music choices. To me it looks sloppy and poorly choreographed. Just look at the attemps at authentic hand and arm movments, starting with the very opening position of the dance. There are also way too many of those hand flicks and gestures throughout; it felt very junior/novice to me. When Meryl put those moments in the OD, you could tell they were perfectly placed and studied; in this FD they all seem thrown away. Team Aldridge/Eaton needs to take a hatchet to this choregraphy and cut out about 70% of those movements (especially from Eaton). They also are out of sync a lot in their side-by-side choreography and that last few moments of side-by-side dancing before they hit the final position is cringe-worthy.

I hope they make some changes. I could see a situation where they struggle to place even 6th and get on the 4CC team with this.

vCash
    Have they been injured this summer? Is there a reason this dance is more undertrained than the other teams this early in the year? (I'm genuinely asking.)

Davis/White had their breakout season in many ways in 2010, including winning the GPF. Unless I missed something, their Bollywood OD was almost universally adored...

I hope they make some changes. I could see a situation where they struggle to place even 6th and get on the 4CC team with this.
    I genuinely do not know why they look undertrained in October. It just looks to me that they've not mastered the program or practiced enough to do it as planned. Whether the problem can be solved by more practice and work or chucking the choreography because it's bad ... I don't think I know enough to say.

It is a possibility (my guess only) that the unfamiliarity with the "foreign" positions and movements and gestures are a lot more difficult to master than conventional ballroom positions and handholds and movements that every ice dancers has been trained on for years and years. This is also why I personally think Davis/White were underappreciated for how difficult it was to do their Bollywood short dance with ease and precision, as if they had spent years practicing the dance genre.

We are 3 months away from Nationals. Whether Aldredge/Eaton will show up in Boston and skate this program with ease and precision I don't know, but I don't think it's likely that, after some hard work and diligence and practice, they will skate like they did at ONT.

Of course, they could abandon the program and skate to Tosca or a Waltz or a Tango with traditional ballroom positions and handholds and arm movements they are more familiar with and probably be amply rewarded.

Where they will place at Nationals ... who knows. It is largely not in their own control. As the freshmen in Seniors, I suspect their best hope is 5th anyway (D/W, Chock/Bates, Shibutanis, Hubbell/Donohue).
    Last edited by Jun Y; 10-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    The problem with Aldridge/Eaton is that she is outgrowing him. No program will hide that.

It happened to Lichtman/Copely, Hubbell/Hubbell, Chock/Zuerlin, etc...

BTW, what happened to Lichtman? She was good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2013/jgpsdance.htm
    Nope 2008-2009 (Granted it was in the days of 8 team JGPF's)

The following teams made the JGPF

Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL
    Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA
    Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA
    Piper GILLES / Zachary DONOHUE USA
    Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR
    Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN
    Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Dmitri KISELEV RUS

The top 4 qualifiers were from the US.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    And five seasons later, two teams, the Shibs and Ralph/Hill, are still together.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Sigh. Piper and Zach had some awesome programs back then choreographed by Tom Dickson. What a shame ...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    JGP Final Junior Dance results (December 2008):
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf0809/CAT004RS.HTM
    FPl. Name Nat. Points OD FD
    1 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA 131.15 1 1
    2 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA 124.68 6 2
    3 Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 124.30 2 4
    4 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 120.60 7 3
    5 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Dmitri KISELEV RUS 120.35 5 5
    6 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 120.09 4 6
    7 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR 119.38 3 7
    8 Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS 111.43 8 8 <-- 8th team
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    And five seasons later, two teams, the Shibs and Ralph/Hill, are still together.
    But nonetheless, it's a good omen for this year's crop. CHOCK (with Bates), HUBBELL/DONOHUE, and the Shib Sibs, 5 seasons later, are three of the top 4 US teams.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast