Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Why? Because skating fans like them? That's not the criteria.
    I stated the reason - because they've been one of the top five teams in the country the past three years. I think that more than merits a GP assignment.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I stated the reason - because they've been one of the top five teams in the country the past three years. I think that more than merits a GP assignment.

No. It doesn't. There is criteria for guaranteed spots, criteria for selection of spots beyond those guaranteed, and the six federations who host events are at their own discretion to select who they want to attend their own event. No rules were broken, the criteria was followed, and nobody was cheated. You are simply stating your preference of invitee. That's not part of the criteria-- neither is 'Top 5 at national championships'. No disrespect for Lynn and Logan, but they have been assigned to the US Classic, which is more than most 5th place finishers from other countries can hope for.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I agree, especially considering that they were .34 out of a guaranteed spot from the SB list, and USFS gave a spot to Tobias/Stagniunas, who were unlucky enough to be bumped by the Reeds' inflated WTT scores. (K/G-S were 1 point out of 23rd SB and 2 points out of 20th SB.).

Hubbell/Donohue were unlikely to get a second from the alternates list unless a spot for FRA opened up, since of the top five on the alternates list, Coomes/Buckland and Monko/Khaliavin are already assigned to TEB, and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin have NHK the week before, and only C/B don't come from a host with bargaining power. The SA assignment was the only way to guarantee them a second spot, although it will mean three competitions within a month.

Maybe USFS will swap H/D out of Nebelhorn now? K/G-S and Aranow/Brubaker are listed as subs. K/G-S were about 300 WS points from making top 24 WS this year, and if they could earn points at two senior B's and 4C's, that would move them up the list. The senior B in SLC is not a lot of travel from Detroit a few weeks before Nebelhorn.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    ITA. Their SB also was higher than A/E who got one GP and one senior B. There was an inconsistency in the criteria in picking SA. In previous years, they would look at LP result, along with result from Nationals, and also "spreading the wealth". It seemed to be some politiks behind, maybe because of Detroit hosing SA?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A/E weren't guaranteed one, but Jr. Worlds medalists and JGPF winners are a listed category above Top 75 SB to be given consideration, and the other medalists on the junior podium also got spots from other hosts. Their SB score was 2.08 lower than K/G-S's, but that was with a junior program. Even if USFS needed to push for A/E to get a spot, it was CHN that offered the invite.

A/E and the top five senior teams all train with Zoueva, Shpilband, or Krylova/Camerlengo now, and K/G-S's former coaches are also in the area, so I don't think Detroit was a deciding factor when choosing a team. It might have been to throw a crumb to K/C, who could be a bigger factor in US skating after the current top teams retire (and maybe the Shibs get a clue.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I meant the chair of the event.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    No. It doesn't. There is criteria for guaranteed spots, criteria for selection of spots beyond those guaranteed, and the six federations who host events are at their own discretion to select who they want to attend their own event. No rules were broken, the criteria was followed, and nobody was cheated. You are simply stating your preference of invitee. That's not part of the criteria-- neither is 'Top 5 at national championships'. No disrespect for Lynn and Logan, but they have been assigned to the US Classic, which is more than most 5th place finishers from other countries can hope for.
    I never said rules were broken. It's just disappointing that there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind their selections. If Caroline Zhang can get a spot at SA, you'd think Lynn and Logan surely could.

vCash
    I never said rules were broken. It's just disappointing that there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind their selections. If Caroline Zhang can get a spot at SA, you'd think Lynn and Logan surely could.
    The only one that they could have picked before Caroline is Courtney Hicks, and I suspect that there is a plan in place for her to get assignments.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Didn't they have some injuries around the time of Lake Placid? Maybe that's still an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Tweeted by USFS just now: "@MadiHubbell & @ZachTDonohue have been added to the U.S. roster to compete at @HiltonHHonors Skate America."
    Count me in the yay for H/D and : for LincolnLogs crew. Wishing K/G-S could have gotten the spot but will be very excited to see H/D in person.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    Didn't they have some injuries around the time of Lake Placid? Maybe that's still an issue.
    They're still on the roster for SLC, so they appear to be fit to compete.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The only one that they could have picked before Caroline is Courtney Hicks, and I suspect that there is a plan in place for her to get assignments.
    The US pewter medalist was passed over for the US senior 11th place finisher in the initial selection on the chance that China, Russia, or Canada would toss back in its TBA? Hicks wouldn't be eligible to be selected as an alternate in the Group of Five until three other skaters are selected. Unless there are a rash of withdrawals in the Olympic season, the least likely season for this to happen, I'm not sure what the plan could be.

In the 2011-12 season, the top 2011 Nationals skaters got:
    • Davis/White: SA and RC in the initial selection
    • Shibutani/Shibutani: CoC and NHK in the initial selection
    • Chock/Zuerlein: split, Chock/Bates replaced Mysliveckova/Novak at SC and Zahorski/Miart at TEB, as a high-priority returning split couple
    • Hubbell/Hubbell: split, Hubbell/Donohue got first TBA spot at SA
    • Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt: NHK in the initial selection
    • Cannuscio/Lorello: second TBA at SA(#49 on the SB list, 14+ points behind #25 K/G-S on the SB list, 11 places and 6+ points behind Cannuscio/McManus on the SB list)

US Junior Champions Lichtman/Copely, who were Top 24 SB,were assigned to CoC, and Samuelson/Gilles replaced Monko/Khaliavin at CoC under the returning split couple rule in place.

In the 2012-13 season, the top 2012 Nationals skaters got:
    • Davis/White: SA and NHK in the initial selection
    • Shibutani/Shibutani: RC and NHK in the initial selection
    • Hubbell/Donohue: SC and TEB in the initial selection
    • Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt: SA in the initial selection. (#34 on the SB list and wouldn't have moved into Top five without five other replacements, two of which happened)
    • Chock/Bates: CoC in the initial selection
    • Cannuscio/McManus: sole TBA spot at SA (not on the SB list)

In the 2013-14, the top 2013 Nationals skaters got:
    • Davis/White: SA and NHK in the initial selection
    • Shibutani/Shibutani: SA and NHK in the initial selection
    • Chock/Bates: CoC and RC in the initial selection
    • Hubbell/Donohue: SC in the initial selection and the sole TBA spot (#17 on the SB list and in the first Group of Five as alternates)
    • Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt: none (#26 on the SB list and would need seven replacements before moving into the group)
    • Cannuscio/McManus: none (#49 on the SB list)

For the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, the top three placed in the Top 12 at Worlds and were guaranteed their two spots. In 2011-12, the bronze-medalist team (Chock/Zuerlein) split, and the new team Chock/Bates were at the top of the subs list. They got their first (SA) days before Cannusicio/Lorello were assigned to the spot, and the second later after Zahorski/Miart withdrew. Effectively, there were just as many guaranteed spots for at least one partner in the top three at nationals all three seasons, with a fourth, Chock/Bates, getting one last season as #20 on the SB list.

Looking at the last three years' history,
    • Last season and two seasons ago, everyone in the Top Six at US Nats got a GP spot.
    • USFS used its TBD's in 2012 for the sixth-place team at US Nats that had no chance at a subs spot and a new team, Hubbell/Donohue, who had not qualified as a (returning) split couple with their former partners.
    • USFS used its TBA last season for the sixth place team which didn't have a SB from the year before.
    • USFS used its TBA this season to give a second to its fourth place team (that is in the Top Five on the subs list) a second, leaving the fifth and sixth place teams with none

So, no, it is not a bunch of K/G-S fans whining about how a likeable team didn't get a pity spot, but a reaction to a change in USFS selection behavior from "spread the wealth" to whatever they're doing this season, whether it be putting their eggs in the H/D basket or throwing a bone to Detroit FSC for hosting the event and the Krylova.*

Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    I meant the chair of the event.
    * you meant the club, not the city
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    I feel incredibly bad for K/G-S because they took the initiative to move to Shpilband during the off season. They were with a pretty unknown coach with very good nationals success and strong fan base. Think how much better they'd be with a great ice dance coach like Igor?

vCash
    Thanks kwanfan1818. It's sad for the athletes when USFS holds no rule/ regulation, changing year by year,.. played by....politiks....mood...favor...or money...or...whatever....

vCash
    They're still on the roster for SLC, so they appear to be fit to compete.
    Forgot about that.

So, no, it is not a bunch of K/G-S fans whining about how a likeable team didn't get a pity spot, but a reaction to a change in USFS selection behavior from "spread the wealth" to whatever they're doing this season, whether it be putting their eggs in the H/D basket or throwing a bone to Detroit FSC for hosting the event and the Krylova.*
    Honestly, I think H/D getting a second assignment is merited. The poor choice, I think, was assigning the Shibutanis to SA when they could've gotten two GPs on their own. Theirs is the spot that could have gone to another non-podium team.
    Last edited by blancanieves; 08-31-2013 at 12:34 AM.

vCash
    Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter have won their first JGP medal (silver) in Latvia! Their teammates in Wheaton, MD (WISA), Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis, finished 4th with much improved ISU PB scores.
    ETA videos:
    McNamara/Carpenter (2nd in both SD & FD): Short Dance / Free Dance
    Pogrebinsky/Gudis (4th in both SD & FD): Short Dance / Free Dance

On a related note, here's an article on another WISA team - 2013 U.S. Juvenile Dance champs Caroline & Gordon Green: http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...e-gordon-green
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-31-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    ...So, no, it is not a bunch of K/G-S fans whining about how a likeable team didn't get a pity spot, but a reaction to a change in USFS selection behavior from "spread the wealth" to whatever they're doing this season, whether it be putting their eggs in the H/D basket or throwing a bone to Detroit FSC for hosting the event and the Krylova.
    After your in-depth analyses, kwanfan1818, it is even more disappointing about K/G-S. I like H/D and did expect their SA assignment, but I can't help thinking now that K/G-S must have felt they were slapped in the face when they weren't given the slot. I am not so naive to believe that any federation really "cares" about their athletes as people, but do hope that K/G-S aren't so discouraged that they give up now. I was looking forward to seeing a great competition at US Nationals that included them battling it out with the other top teams.

vCash
    The Shibutanis have a fragile hold on that final Olympic spot. As it stands right now with only the SLC comp, K/G-S really have no shot at it. They need at least one GP to put up a score for USFS to compare against H/D and S/S's GP scores before Nationals. Otherwise how will the Nationals judges know how to score PCS?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Unless there is a written policy that is flaunted -- and I think it has been with the farce of international criteria listed for the World team selection policy -- USFS is entitled to change its selection process and strategy, and, so far, there's no indication that there is one for GP selection, public or private (and if private, only those inside know if its been changed and/or followed.) When they set a precedent or pattern, though, I think it's reasonable to expect they will follow it, and people who do expect this are not irrational fans with blinders on. "Spreading the wealth," the recent pattern, is a legitimate way of using resources for the teams/skaters that are unlikely to place high in Sochi, if they make the team. So is getting as much international attention as possible for a team that is, based on past performance, is, all things being equal, likely to be fourth, which could be a consideration in an Olympic year.

So is rewarding a club for hosting the event and making it exceedingly convenient for the strongest-performing discipline for the US in terms of lack of travel, less lost training time and interruptions, and not having to pay the coaches for lost lesson time, and it's a win/win for the host for travel costs. (And all of the skaters will have their skates and costumes, assuming Zhulin brings Z/S early to acclimate ) Just like the third team from any country hangs in the political winds, Shpilband coaches (T/S) and co-coaches (C/L, C/J, R/R), half the field at SA, including the strong favorite for silver, Zoueva has the other two likely medalists, and Zhulin had the last non-TBA spot. Recognizing the exceptionally strong coaches at the host club who otherwise would have no entries in their own discipline is good bidness, especially when their team has been to Worlds and placed Top 10 their first full season together. These aren't stupid considerations, and it's not as if USFS has bypassed a team with far stellar international results to do so, but it's a break with recent precedent.

Had K/G-S moved to Shpilband at the beginning of last season instead of this one, it might have been a different story, since the upside -- politically and technically, as they already have a beautiful, defined style -- would have great for them. (I understand the turmoil going on at the time and why they wouldn't have.) To my eyes, H/D were stagnant last year, and I'm not sure they have as much of an upside, but it could have been sophomore slump. W/P took a couple of years to gel, and H/D could make the leap.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-31-2013 at 06:46 PM.

vCash
    Re-posting this classy statement/FB reply by Logan that was posted in the GP Assignments thread:
    Here's a snippet of something Logan posted on my Facebook yesterday in response to my disappointment that they didn't receive the spot (my FB is public so hope he doesn't mind me sharing here):
    As much as we wanted the SA spot and have worked hard to prove that we deserve it, so have Madi and Zach. That should definitely not be taken away from them. If anything, this will motivate us to work even harder towards US Championships where we hope to see all of you!!! You never know what's in store for the rest of the season.
    Looking forward to seeing them in SLC!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast