Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

2013 Evening with Champions, Oct 5th & 6th in Boston

Preliminary cast list is now available. Hopefully all our posters who live close to Boston can make it this year. Proceeds go to a great cause (cancer research via the Jimmy Fund) and it's always a fun show to attend.

http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html
    And main event website http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/index.html

Men:
    Alexander Johnson, 2013 Challenge Cup Silver Medalist, 2013 U.S. National Championships 7th Place
    Harrison Choate, 2012 U.S. National Championships Junior Pewter Medalist, Harvard University Class of 2017

Ladies:
    Emily Hughes, 2007 U.S. National Silver Medalist, 2006 Olympian
    Kimmie Meissner, 2006 World Champion, 2007 U.S. National Champion, 2006 Olympian
    Rachael Flatt, 2010 U.S. National Champion, 2010 Olympian
    Blake Rosenthal, U.S. National Championships Competitor, Harvard University Class of 2014

Ice Dancing:
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place
    The Next Ice Age, The American Dance Festival and The Kennedy Center Presenters

Pairs:
    Oleg Protopopov and Ludmila Belousova, Two-time Olympic Champions, Four-time World Champions

Synchronized Skating Teams:
    The Haydenettes, 22-time U.S. National Synchronized Skating Champions and Four-time World Championships Bronze Medalists
    Team Excel Collegiate, 2012 U.S. National Synchronized Skating Championships 5th Place

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Guess I started my thread too early! : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...)-Oct-5-6-2013
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Guess I started my thread too early! : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...)-Oct-5-6-2013
    Oops, totally missed your thread . I guess the mods can feel free to merge/lock this one. Or, we could have two threads since it will be *that* awesome?

vCash
    There are several additions to the cast since earlier this week. Sadly, I have a schedule conflict and cannot attend the show this year. Hopefully someone will be able to make videos. I've been waiting for a chance to see Nathan Chen in person for the first time, but God willing I will see him at Nationals this winter.

Hosts:
    Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympic Silver Medalist
    Emily Hughes, 2006 Olympian

Men:
    Shawn Sawyer, Canadian National Championships Silver Medalist, 2010 Skate America Silver Medalist
    Nathan Chen, 2-time U.S. National Championships Novice Gold Medalist, 2013 JGP Croatia Gold Medalist
    Stephen Carriere, 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy Pewter Medalist, 2012 Ice Challenge Gold Medalist, 2007 Junior World Medalist
    Alexander Johnson, 2013 Challenge Cup Silver Medalist, 2013 U.S. National Championships 7th Place
    Braden Overett, 2007 USFS/PSA Choreographer of the Year, Holiday On Ice Performer
    Harrison Choate, 2012 U.S. National Championships Junior Pewter Medalist, Harvard University Class of 2017
    Bennett Gottlieb, 2012 New England Regionals Intermediate Mens Champion, 2012 U.S. Junior National Championships 5th Place

Ladies:
    Emily Hughes, 2007 U.S. National Silver Medalist, 2006 Olympian
    Kimmie Meissner, 2006 World Champion, 2007 U.S. National Champion, 2006 Olympian
    Rachael Flatt, 2010 U.S. National Champion, 2010 Olympian
    Blake Rosenthal, U.S. National Championships Competitor, Harvard University Class of 2014

Ice Dancing:
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place
    Emily Samuelson, 2010 U.S. National Championships Bronze Medalist, 2010 Olympian
    The Next Ice Age, The American Dance Festival and The Kennedy Center Presenters

Pairs:
    Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov, Two-time Olympic Champions, Four-time World Champions

Synchronized Skating Teams:
    The Haydenettes, 21-time U.S. National Synchronized Skating Champions and Four-time World Championships Bronze Medalists
    Team Excel Collegiate, 2012 U.S. National Synchronized Skating Championships 5th Place

vCash
    Nice to see Nathan making the trip from California. Didn't realize Emily is performing as a soloist these days.

Looks unsurprisingly like it is tough getting the top Grand Prix level skaters to commit to an event on the eve of the season unfortunately. A wonderful event and important cause.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Nice to see Nathan making the trip from California. Didn't realize Emily is performing as a soloist these days.

Looks unsurprisingly like it is tough getting the top Grand Prix level skaters to commit to an event on the eve of the season unfortunately. A wonderful event and important cause.
    Emily would likely skate here, if she is able, in this show because she's a Harvard alum. The Protopopovs skated at this show annually even after they'd ceased performing elsewhere.

Before there was a Grand Prix, there were more then-current US medalists coming to this benefit each year. There were few professional (or retired amateur) guest skaters featured until the mid-90's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Emily would likely skate here, if she is able, in this show because she's a Harvard alum. The Protopopovs skated at this show annually even after they'd ceased performing elsewhere..
    I think leapfrogonice means Emily Samuelson not Emily Hughes. Emily Samuelson is, in fact, a Michigan alumn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I think leapfrogonice means Emily Samuelson not Emily Hughes. Emily Samuelson is, in fact, a Michigan alumn.
    Oh, you're right! Thanks! It will be interesting to find out what Emily S. skates. I thought maybe she's lining up a partner, TBA, for this show, but she's probably "Shae-Lynning" it.

vCash
    ^I'll try get some videos from the Saturday show if I can make it. Looking forward to Emily's solo number, as well. Always thought she was under-rated when she skated with Bates.

vCash
    Bumping this up for two new additions to the cast, both of whom deserve some for making time for the show in a busy Olympic year.

Men
    Joshua Farris, 2013 Junior World Champion, 2013 U.S. National Championships Pewter Medalist

Ladies
    Yasmin Siraj, 2013 U.S. National 6th Place, 2013 World Jr. Championships 11th Place, Two-time Junior Grand Prix Silver Medalist

vCash
    I love this event, and am impressed to see whom will be skating at it this year, especially the additions!

I'm particularly interested in seeing Rachael Flatt (love love her self-choreographed version of "Somewhere In Time"), Emily Hughes (of course), Kimmie Meissner (ditto), Protopopovs (legends), Stephen Carriere (especially after his exquisite performances this past weekend), Emily Samuelson (wondering what she's been up to!), and Joshua Farris (YESSSSSSSSSSSS)!!!!!

Of those listed, I'm most curious about Emily Samuelson. What a heartbreaker. Sad to see she never got another partner and came back to competitive skating. She honestly had IT all (flexibility, innate musicality, loveliness, shades of Marina Anissina but without her fierceness, in contrast Emily was like a doe). BUT at least she's still skating in shows!

vCash
    EWC is on my schedule

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Newly added! "Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, 2012 U.S. National Pewter Medalists, 2012 Skate America Pewter Medalists" ()
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    EWC is on my schedule
    Yays! Let me know if you're going Sun or Saturday night. I think I'll go Sat night as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Newly added! "Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, 2012 U.S. National Pewter Medalists, 2012 Skate America Pewter Medalists" ()
    Pewter medals ftw! And apparently, we hand them out at internationals held in the US now as well .

vCash
    I wish PBS would still broadcast this event. I really miss it. Have years of recordings of it.

So amazing that the Protopopovs are still performing. They must be in their late 70's now...or older??

I didn't know Braden Overett was going to Harvard now! I remember skating with him at DU when he was competing. His father was a doctor I believe. I'm hoping he starts doing choreography for skaters...he was such an artist.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Harrison Choate (his name is not bolded in post #4) is the Harvard freshman, not Braden Overett!

Oleg Protopopov is 81 and Ludmila Belousova will be 77 in November.

ETA link to a GSD thread from a few months ago: Braden Overett stars in an official music video!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-24-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: To add link to Overett thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I wish PBS would still broadcast this event. I really miss it. Have years of recordings of it.

So amazing that the Protopopovs are still performing. They must be in their late 70's now...or older??
    Oleg is 81; Luidmila is 77!

eta: Sylvia is faster than I!

vCash
    This lineup has turned into something great.

mtnskater, Braden Overett is indeed doing some choreography for skaters these days. Hopefully someone else can chime in to tell us for whom in the current season.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    At the Skate for Hope show the last few years, Emily Samuleson has skated in a group number with the ladies skaters and done some moves with one of the male skaters. I'm glad she's able to find a way to use her talents to support causes that are important to her.

Also nice that Emily Hughes can still appear despite her new job with the IOC.

It's great to see so many skaters dedicate their time and talent to this long standing fundraiser for an important cause.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Yays! Let me know if you're going Sun or Saturday night. I think I'll go Sat night as well.
    I am leaning towards Sunday. Can you get tickets in advance?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast