Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagens

vCash

Volkswagens

I have a plethora of questions on Volkswagens.

Does anyone own one?
    The windows used to fall in, correct? Does this sill happen?
    How reliable are they in your experience?
    Are they expensive to fix?
    Would you buy again?
    What would Jenny do?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my new beetle convertible was the king of all the lemons. it had all kinds of electrical problems all the time. once, they had to get an engineer from germany to come and reboot it. i went to a few different dealers for service and i wasnt really happy with any of them. i wouldnt get another. but it was so cute, when i pass one i almost wished i had another.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Have a Passat and a Jetta. The Passat has over 100k miles, has been incredibly reliable, so issues other than wear and tear. The Jetta has been great so far as we'll. Love the way both drive and mileage is terrific too. Would definitely recommend.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I had a Jetta but only for a very short time. I totaled it before the first oil change. I liked it, though. The doors were so incredibly heavy on the car that I worried about losing a finger if I ever closed the door on them. Once I parked on the side of the road and was kind of going into the ditch so the car was leaning heavily. In all seriousness, I could barely get out of my car because the damn door was so heavy and I could not open it because my car was leaning the other way. Those heavy doors protected me in the wreck, though. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    PL should be weighing in in 5....4....3...
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I have a plethora of questions on Volkswagens.

Does anyone own one?
    The windows used to fall in, correct? Does this sill happen?
    How reliable are they in your experience?
    Are they expensive to fix?
    Would you buy again?
    I drove/owned a VW for 10 years until my wreck this year totaled it.I had a VW Jetta diesel.
    The windows go up and down like normal windows
    They are very,very reliable in my experience.
    They are expensive to fix if you go straight to the dealer...unless you can find a really good straight up mechanic that will do things like that without asking for thousands of dollars and your kidney.The parts cost a pretty penny.I had to replace my fuel injector pump last year and it cost me $1500 just for the part.
    If I could afford one,yeah maybe someday but the car I just bought has more leg room in the back and almost gets as good gas mileage as my diesel Jetta..(36 mph now....48 before)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    PL should be weighing in in 5....4....3...

I have a 2009 New Beetle, yellow, with homicidal tendencies. But don't let that deter you! It is an awesome car! And has only run over four people!

The ONLY stupid thing about it is that you will need a VW tech to change the headlights. The way they are installed is not a classic piece of German engineering, unless the engineers had just finished an all night bender at Oktoberfest. Other than that, I have had no issues with it.

Spinner was also flattened by the Death Banana. But for some reason, he's not on the list.
    The Banana List: Prancer, Really, numbers123, rfisher, dbell1, MINAM, shells, my little pony, jamesy, cholla, pollyanna, Living Saint, Reuven, PRLady, reckless, michaelfsfan, AYS, flyingsit, RFOS, milanessa, Southpaw, sk8er1964, bellebway, oleada, skatemomaz, taf2002, suep1963, badams

vCash
    I drive a 1998, standard transmission VW Bug. While I LOVE IT, and it is so fun to drive, I have had nothing but headaches with windows/door locks/alarm. The windows have never fallen in, but at times, they wouldn't go up or down. The doors lock themselves at totally random times (even when I am driving.) When the doors lock themselves, then the alarm goes off. I have had it repaired at least four times in the past ten years, but the problem with the doors/alarm have remained...

VW's are not cheap to have repaired, either.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    We have a 2008 VW Eos. Brought used in 2011. It burns through oil, but otherwise we are happy with it. Drives well, lots f power. No issues with windows or other parts.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    We have a 1979 Westfalia camper bus, and a 1978 convertible bug.

My husband has also owned several more modern VWs, I think mostly GTIs. He loves them. No, the windows do not fall out.

I test drove a Golf and a Jetta Diesel a couple of years ago. I love how they drove. They were simply above my price range, even used.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Yeah, I love how they drive. But the reports of funky issues and expensive repairs may keep me away.

Thanks everyone.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    We've had a 1997, 2003, 2007 and 2010 at different periods of time. The 2003 had some issues but the other three were all fantastic. Yes, a bit more to repair but totally worth it. Excellent, smooth ride and very peppy

4 More Years
    vCash
    My husband drives a 2004 diesel Passat, the driver and passenger side front windows have each fallen twice, and those suckers are crazy expensive to repair. The dealer wanted $800 each time. DH is now an expert on replacing the windows. Car gets great mileage but repairs and maintenance are expensive.

My daughter's 2006 diesel Beetle has been pretty good. When we first got the car the battery kept dying, I think we replaced the battery 4 times in the first year, turned out the radio was defective and was draining the battery. After a bit of arguing with the dealer, they replaced the radio and we haven't had a problem since.

INTJ
    vCash
    I had a '91 Jetta and I absolutely loved driving that car. Eventually it just got to the age that it was starting to need major repairs but it was an awesome car. I actually cried when I got rid of it.

It seems that all newer cars are designed so that simple things need super specialized tools so the dealers can get the work. It drives me crazy.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I'm on my 3rd VW in 18 years, the only kind of car I've ever had....only got rid of the older ones due to age (both were old enough to drive themselves when I sold them!). The only repair I've had to do that was not regular maintenance kinda stuff is on my current car (2002 Jetta) the alarm was going off all the time, all hours. After taking it to my dad's shop and them not being able to figure it out, I took it to a place in town that specializes in German cars. Great place, know their stuff, they figured it out & fixed it in no time.

vCash
    I have had a VW polo and VW golf diesel and both were brilliant cars. The golf did once have the front windows come down randomly in the night but they only did it the once. I really loved the golf and the only reason I got rid of it was because I upgraded to an Audi (essentially all the same parts just a different body).

vCash
    My husband has a GTI. He loves it, but it's been a series of (very expensive) problems. No window problems, but everything else. When he gets a new car, it definitely will not be a Volkswagen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Yeah, I love how they drive. But the reports of funky issues and expensive repairs may keep me away.

Thanks everyone.
    These are things that made me wary of the VWs (not the old ones, as those are easy to repair, but the modern ones) - they are expensive to repair here in the US, and although they are well built and reliable, relatively speaking, there are other cars (Honda, Toyota) which are WAY more reliable. So in the end, I bought a used Honda Civic, which is far less sexy than the Golf hot hatchback I test drove, but is cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair and more reliable.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    It seems that all newer cars are designed so that simple things need super specialized tools so the dealers can get the work. It drives me crazy.
    Part of it is how they seat the engines in the car, to gain space in the main compartment, to increase fuel economy, lower emissions, and etc. But how the engine is placed, how parts are placed on it, impacts whether or not a regular person can even get to them to repair them. Then the fact that things are now computerized, in part for the same reasons as mentioned... I mean, if you look at the engine on one of my old VWs, everything is all right there. But try to even find the spark plugs on my Honda's engine, and good luck to you.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    We have a 2006 Jetta Diesel with 350000 Km on it. The fuel economy is still fantastic. My husband does all the major repairs and we get minor things done at a non-dealer shop. All the repairs have been planned- it's never let us down on the road. We bought ours new, and it came with a single owner 12 year warranty on the body and paint, so we are about to get the whole car repainted at no charge. Our next car will probably be a Passat, but we'd like to get as close to 1000000 on the odometer before we replace this one.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast