179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Hughes

40 22.35%
  • Tara Lipinski

139 77.65%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    What I'm saying is that some of her crazier fans were angry she wasn't chosen for the 98 issue and campaigned tirelessly for them to include her in their 99 issue. Their barrage of emails couldn't have gone unnoticed but they didn't have to choose her so that's something. I just disagreed with those fans' tactics. I have the issue somewhere and remember the flat butt comment and that she looked gorgeous in a candlelit profile shot. I'm sure People didn't regret their decision one bit.
    I only remember her being in the 2000 issue because it was after she had won Worlds in Nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think she got in legitimately. She also said something about having a flat butt I think in her profile.
    And it was a bubble butt.

http://www.people.com/people/archive...131165,00.html

vCash
    So basically, her fans instituted a letter-writing campaign to get her on a magazine. Unless one is a mega star like Brad Pitt or Matt Damon, that seems to be the best way to get a publication's attention. It's all about PR and who would help sell magazines anyway. Look at those New York Magazine's Best Doctor's of NYC. That's all the work of a publicist unless someone did something incredibly ground-breaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    So basically, her fans instituted a letter-writing campaign to get her on a magazine. Unless one is a mega star like Brad Pitt or Matt Damon, that seems to be the best way to get a publication's attention. It's all about PR and who would help sell magazines anyway. Look at those New York Magazine's Best Doctor's of NYC. That's all the work of a publicist unless someone did something incredibly ground-breaking.
    Exactly. Beautiful, in this context, is someone who has generated hype in some way during the time frame of the particular People publication -- via personal achievement and/or good old-fashioned PR. Exactly the same as what goes on with the Oscars. There are all out campaigns for the Oscar candidates. It's a matter of popularity to some extent. If some fan group managed to get their favorite skater in People magazine by way of a letter-writing campaign, I'd say the skater in question was extremely popular and beloved. Best picture and most beautiful will always be a matter of taste.

O-

vCash
    I work with celebrities and can tell you People's Most Beautiful (and Sexiest Man/Woman Alive) issues are completely agenda-driven. They are total PR campaigns.

People also has historically had a hard time featuring minorities in these issues (they ALWAYS go to their standbys Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez).

Rabid fan letter writing or not, Michelle had accomplishments, was the biggest name in the sport, was a minority, etc. She checked many boxes.

I don't know what the big deal is...it's not like she landed the cover or anything.

For what it's worth, I think Tara and Michelle grew into their looks and both are pretty.

vCash
    I also think Sarah Hughes grew into quite a lovely young lady (That makes me sound so old and she's only less than a year younger than me, haha). Her longer brown hair is so much better for her than her Robin Wagner look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I work with celebrities and can tell you People's Most Beautiful (and Sexiest Man/Woman Alive) issues are completely agenda-driven. They are total PR campaigns.

People also has historically had a hard time featuring minorities in these issues (they ALWAYS go to their standbys Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez).

Rabid fan letter writing or not, Michelle had accomplishments, was the biggest name in the sport, was a minority, etc. She checked many boxes.

I don't know what the big deal is...it's not like she landed the cover or anything.

For what it's worth, I think Tara and Michelle grew into their looks and both are pretty.
    Yep to all of the above.

O-

vCash
    I also think Sarah Hughes grew into quite a lovely young lady (That makes me sound so old and she's only less than a year younger than me, haha). Her longer brown hair is so much better for her than her Robin Wagner look.
    What was that "Robin Wagner" look? It seemed like an attempt at Dorothy Hamillishness, and given Wagner's age perhaps it was Wagner's idea.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    What was that "Robin Wagner" look? It seemed like an attempt at Dorothy Hamillishness, and given Wagner's age perhaps it was Wagner's idea.
    The 2002 look was Jef Billings from the top of her head to her toes.

vCash
    So basically, her fans instituted a letter-writing campaign to get her on a magazine.
    Not her fans. Maybe her agent or USFSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    The 2002 look was Jef Billings from the top of her head to her toes.
    I honestly was not a fan of that cut at all.

vCash
    I just called it the Robin Wagner look because her hair cut and color was getting closer to Robin's style than Hughes. I know Billing had total control over her Olympic look, but I remember reading that going to Billings was Wagner's idea.

Does he still design and style skaters?
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I honestly was not a fan of that cut at all.
    It was an improvement on the "Ramona Quimby" look she was sporting immediately prior to that.

Too bad that Sarah was pushed to try to look like Hamill and skate like Kwan. I probably would have liked her if she had developed her own style (and fixed her posture).
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Has Robin Wagner had any successful skaters besides Sarah? I am not counting her blip with Sasha in 2004, as she in no way either helped to make Sasha, nor visibly that I can see helped to improve her in their brief time together. I would have credited her if Sasha won the 04 Nationals and/or Worlds under Wagner, hadnt had a now stripped down/weaker Swan Lake under Wagner, or had she stayed with her more than a quarter of a season, but none of this occured.

Fontana made her comeback under Wagner and qualified for the Olympics beating out Marchei, so I guess that semi counts as something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Has Robin Wagner had any successful skaters besides Sarah? I am not counting her blip with Sasha in 2004, as she in no way either helped to make Sasha, nor visibly that I can see helped to improve her in their brief time together. I would have credited her if Sasha won the 04 Nationals and/or Worlds under Wagner, hadnt had a now stripped down/weaker Swan Lake under Wagner, or had she stayed with her more than a quarter of a season, but none of this occured.

Fontana made her comeback under Wagner and qualified for the Olympics beating out Marchei, so I guess that semi counts as something.
    I agree re Wagner and Cohen. Imo it was really under Tarasova that Cohen showed improvements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I agree re Wagner and Cohen. Imo it was really under Tarasova that Cohen showed improvements.
    Totally agree! Wagner did nothing for her. Certainly didnt help calm her competitive nerves since she fell and lost the Nationals and Worlds, and totally stripped down her Swan Lake. Had she done her original version of Swan Lake she might have won Worlds even with the mistakes, as it seems the judges were really wanting to give it to her there. However the mistakes, combined with the overall tenative performance, combined with Shizuka's triple-triples, combined with the bare bones choreography of Wagner's version, were too much together to overcome.

I saw some good things about her skating and even at times competitive progress in her second stint with Nicks too. Too bad she was injured most of the 04-05 and 05-06 seasons. Wagner was never more than a brief stopover until she decided on her next real coach after she decided to leave Tarasova.

vCash
    Wagner's biggest skill seems to be self-congratulation. She is smarter than many others, but her skill as a choreographer is zero, and I don't know if she has ever reconciled with the Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Totally agree! Wagner did nothing for her. Certainly didnt help calm her competitive nerves since she fell and lost the Nationals and Worlds, and totally stripped down her Swan Lake. Had she done her original version of Swan Lake she might have won Worlds even with the mistakes, as it seems the judges were really wanting to give it to her there. However the mistakes, combined with the overall tenative performance, combined with Shizuka's triple-triples, combined with the bare bones choreography of Wagner's version, were too much together to overcome.

I saw some good things about her skating and even at times competitive progress in her second stint with Nicks too. Too bad she was injured most of the 04-05 and 05-06 seasons. Wagner was never more than a brief stopover until she decided on her next real coach after she decided to leave Tarasova.
    I have wondered why Nicks was not given enough credit for improving Sasha. Tarasova pushed Sasha, but she was not improved as a competitor under her. She blew big chunks at '03 nationals and '03 worlds. She was worse there than at any competition while with Nicks. Okay there was '00 junior worlds and '06 senior worlds, but her Tarasova years were not a breakthrough.

vCash
    I have wondered why Nicks was not given enough credit for improving Sasha. Tarasova pushed Sasha, but she was not improved as a competitor under her. She blew big chunks at '03 nationals and '03 worlds. She was worse there than at any competition while with Nicks. Okay there was '00 junior worlds and '06 senior worlds, but her Tarasova years were not a breakthrough.
    Many think her choreography and actual skating skills (at least in the 2003-2004 season) improved. She also dominated the GP events until she lost the GPF to a deserving Fumie Suguri in the 2003-2004 season. I think what helped Tarasova's reputation was the Swan Lake LP and that she took on Shizuka Arakawa who won Worlds right after. I do think Tarasova was overrated in that respect because she only had Arakawa for a few weeks with Shizuka bombing her one full season with her. Arakawa did win the Olympics, but with Morosov.

I think the reason Nicks doesn't get as much credit is that in the beginning of Sasha's career, her choreography wasn't the best and her skating skills and ice coverage did leave a lot to be desired. Tarasova really helped in those respects and Sasha became the skater who was able to beat a totally on and technically outstanding Irina Slutskaya at the 2006 Olympics SP. Yes it was by hundredths of a point but the old Sasha may not have been able to do that. IMO, Sasha really improved in the period from 2003 to 2004. So her improvements as a skater was noted during the Tarasova period and already existed when she came back to him. As for her routines, she already had that Dark Eyes SP under Tarasova. People also knew her Romeo and Juliet was done by David Wilson. I think at the time, most people were happy to see her back in the West Coast where she said she was happiest and with Nicks because he knew how to deal with her.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Wagner's biggest skill seems to be self-congratulation. She is smarter than many others, but her skill as a choreographer is zero, and I don't know if she has ever reconciled with the Hughes.
    Sarah didn't mention her in her HOF acceptance speech.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast