Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Hughes

40 22.35%
  • Tara Lipinski

139 77.65%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Can someone refresh my memory about what happened between Hughes and Robin Wagner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Sarah didn't mention her in her HOF acceptance speech.
    What HOF did Sarah get into?

They waited so long to induct Kwan into the World Hall of Fame. Kwan has NINE USA titles and FIVE world titles and changed how ladies skating was done. Sarah has relatively little hardware. Her main accomplishment was inspiring skaters to not give up after one judge puts you in 10th in the SP. She did not influence the sport technically in the way Kwan did. She did not have an impact in style beyond the 2003 season when I saw a few skaters copy her hair style. I should hope Kwan was already in whatever HOF they admitted Sarah to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post

They waited so long to induct Kwan into the World Hall of Fame. Kwan has NINE USA titles and FIVE world titles and changed how ladies skating was done. Sarah has relatively little hardware. Her main accomplishment was inspiring skaters to not give up after one judge puts you in 10th in the SP. She did not influence the sport technically in the way Kwan did. She did not have an impact in style beyond the 2003 season when I saw a few skaters copy her hair style. I should hope Kwan was already in whatever HOF they admitted Sarah to.
    I think it was due to Hughes being eligible for the HOF before Kwan due to Hughes leaving competitive skating earlier than Kwan. I think Kwan was inducted the year she was first eligible.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

US Figure Skating Hall of Fame. She got in in 2010, but then, again, she was eligible before Michelle was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    US Figure Skating Hall of Fame. She got in in 2010, but then, again, she was eligible before Michelle was.
    Yes. Didn't Michelle get it as soon as she was eligible?

vCash
    I guess they don't want to put you in the Hall of Fame until your career is definitively finished for several years. You could come back and do something like Tonya Harding, and they would have to remove you!

vCash
    She [Sarah] did not influence the sport technically in the way Kwan did.
    I think Sarah's SLC performance really drove home the point of needing a 3-3 to win. Of course no one did a 3-3 to win in 2006, but people couldn't have predicted that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think Sarah's SLC performance really drove home the point of needing a 3-3 to win. Of course no one did a 3-3 to win in 2006, but people couldn't have predicted that.
    Already in 1992, commentators (Scott Hamilton for example) were talking about the need of a 3-3 (for Yamaguchi or Kerrigan, against Harding and Ito's 3 Axel). Then, it was talked about in 1996 1997 1998 2000 2001 with Kwan against Lu Chen, Lipinski or Slutskaya. JMO

vCash
    Possibly, but I think had Kwan or Slutskaya done their 2002 Worlds LP performance, they could have squeezed out a win anyway even if it ended up being like a 5-4 split (which it ended up being between Slutskaya and Hughes with a lesser performance than Slute's Worlds one). The judges just liked those two. I mean Kwan received a majority of second place votes with a skate that included no 3/3 (first triple double footed) and a fall. If you look at the marks, Kwan still received the highest presentation marks overall http://www.icecalc.com/events/owg200...lts/SEG004.HTM

vCash
    Except the irony is that MK didn't need the 3-3 to stay ahead of Sarah. She just needed to stay on her feet. Ironically, four years prior, everyone thought MK just needed to stay on her feet, but it turned out she really kind of needed the 3-3.

Actually, I think that is further proof that Tara > Sarah. Sarah at her best never beat MK at her best or near-best, but Tara actually did beat MK at her near-best (if only once).
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Sarah because she was a less annoying skater and a less annoying person in general.

Tara looked pretty darn awkward to me. She may not have been gangly but she was a midget. Not visually appealing. And the screaming/squealing - ugh. Sarah held herself with much more composure even though being only one year older.
    Being a non-skater and knowing much less than most of you about technique and not having any pet/disliked choreographers, I chose Sarah. Neither are my favorites at all, but given a choice, and again knowing little about skating technique, I'll still go with Sarah. Tara just annoyed the hell of out me. Maybe it was all the uber-perk, the immature presentation....Maybe it's just my taste. Nothing personal. And this does seems weird, but since we seem to be picking them both apart - her head was way too big for her body, and she was just aesthetically not pleasing to look at, for me. Cute as a lil' button and all, but....zzzzzzzzz. I was also a Kwan fan....

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Except the irony is that MK didn't need the 3-3 to stay ahead of Sarah. She just needed to stay on her feet. Ironically, four years prior, everyone thought MK just needed to stay on her feet, but it turned out she really kind of needed the 3-3.

Actually, I think that is further proof that Tara > Sarah. Sarah at her best never beat MK at her best or near-best, but Tara actually did beat MK at her near-best (if only once).
    What is bolded.

vCash
    I guess they don't want to put you in the Hall of Fame until your career is definitively finished for several years. You could come back and do something like Tonya Harding, and they would have to remove you!
    It doesn't work like that. A skater is eligible for induction after 6 years of official retirement from the competitive ranks. Those are just the rules.

vCash
    Tara needed a 3/3 to have a shot at beating Michelle.

Sarah needed two 3/3's, a two footed landing plus a fall from Michelle, and finally a choreography hijacking maneuver to beat her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Possibly, but I think had Kwan or Slutskaya done their 2002 Worlds LP performance, they could have squeezed out a win anyway even if it ended up being like a 5-4 split (which it ended up being between Slutskaya and Hughes with a lesser performance than Slute's Worlds one). The judges just liked those two. I mean Kwan received a majority of second place votes with a skate that included no 3/3 (first triple double footed) and a fall. If you look at the marks, Kwan still received the highest presentation marks overall http://www.icecalc.com/events/owg200...lts/SEG004.HTM
    Irina lost the gold by .1, a tiebreaker on the presentation mark. The Finland judge gave Sarah 5.7 tech, 5.8 pres and Irina 5.8 tech, 5.7 pres. Had that judge just given a 5.8 for presentation to Irina, which would have been easy to do, she would have won. Since her 2002 Worlds performance was much better, even with still only 6 triples and no triple-triple, with a clean 2nd triple lutz and triple flip neither of which she had at the Games, there is no doubt she would have won with that performance, even without a 3-3 or 7th triple. Irina still had slightly higher technical marks than Sarah even with her much easier jump content and mistakes, which shows the judges recognize the inferiority of Sarah's jump technique.

While there is less certain evidence by the scores, IMO Michelle also would have beaten Sarah with her 2002 Worlds or 2002 Nationals performance, even with only 6 triples and no 3-3. Plus in her case she didnt even have to do this to beat Sarah. She only had to beat Irina's LP, which with a very clean 6 triple performance would have been easy to do over Irina's very slow not clean 6 triple performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post

Tara also would have become a better skater had she continued past 98 IMO. Her pro performances showed her untapped artistic potential which would have been much greater than where she was in 97-98. Sarah IMO was already as good as she was ever going to get in 2001-2002, which is part of the reason she retired I believe.

vCash
    What I liked about Tara was that she allowed herself to be her natural age, and picked music that suited her. She was cute, effervescent, and her presentation had really improved by the 1998 Olympics. By contrast, Sarah seemed to force herself to be the adult she was not. She was a 16 year old and needed something that suited her. IMO presentation marks should be more than just a big smile. Of course that would apply to both Sarah and Tara, but Tara had real 3-3 combinations, which makes me vote for her (plus the other things I already mentioned).
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-24-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    I agree. Sarah's skating was probably more "mature" in a sense, but it was totally forced and amateurish in its delivery. I event felt that way somewhat about Kwan's Salome in the 95-96 season and thought her artistic scores that season were too generous, but in 96-97 was when she fully bought into her newfound look and it wasnt a facade but completely natural. Tara's skating was truly genuine and reflective of who she was as a person and skater, and the pure joy and honesty to it could be felt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree. Sarah's skating was probably more "mature" in a sense, but it was totally forced and amateurish in its delivery. I event felt that way somewhat about Kwan's Salome in the 95-96 season and thought her artistic scores that season were too generous, but in 96-97 was when she fully bought into her newfound look and it wasnt a facade but completely natural. Tara's skating was truly genuine and reflective of who she was as a person and skater, and the pure joy and honesty to it could be felt.
    ITA about Michelle's Salome. In an effort to make her look like a 'lady' at age 15, her coach and choreographer forced her to be what she was not. I did not agree with her artistic/presentation marks at all, IMO Chen Lu should have been a winner, based on her mature artistry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ITA about Michelle's Salome. In an effort to make her look like a 'lady' at age 15, her coach and choreographer forced her to be what she was not. I did not agree with her artistic/presentation marks at all, IMO Chen Lu should have been a winner, based on her mature artistry.
    I still think it was a hugely important stage for Kwan to go to, and still a big improvement from last season. IMO her 95-96 work was the bridge between where was before and what she would be from fall 96 onwards. Basically it was her transition year from ordinary artist to exceptional artist, and in that season itself she was in between those two. Still overrewarded on the 2nd mark throughout that season though, but alot of it was her super consistency and strong reputation she built, and the judges compensating for the wuzrobbed cries from the 95 Worlds.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789