Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Hughes

40 22.35%
  • Tara Lipinski

139 77.65%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hughes probably had the better olympics performance. But in terms of who's skating i like better, i give it to Lipinski

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I realize she is the Olympic Champion and ho hum skaters don't make it to the Olympics (exept for possibly her sister and Rachel Flatt)
    This observation is sort of classic in more ways than one. It tells the truth about these skaters, while showing how valuable will, determination, and possessing some old fashioned grade-a bitch competitiveness is for a ladies star.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    And she certainly didn't look like a midget. I think that's kind of offensive for little people.
    Oh please. Are the people calling Sarah "coltish" etc. offending skinny people? Neither one can help their body types, but Sarah's was more womanly and visually appealing, rather than looking like a little girl. It's a matter of preference but it is called ladies skating. Tara's squeal-heard-round-the-world was much more screechy than Sarah's golly-gee-me? peep. Tara's reaction seemed all about "me" whereas Sarah's was more respectful of those around her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Oh please. Are the people calling Sarah "coltish" etc. offending skinny people? Neither one can help their body types, but Sarah's was more womanly and visually appealing, rather than looking like a little girl. It's a matter of preference but it is called ladies skating. Tara's squeal-heard-round-the-world was much more screechy than Sarah's golly-gee-me? peep. Tara's reaction seemed all about "me" whereas Sarah's was more respectful of those around her.
    Really??? Tara just won the Olympic gold medal she was 15 years old she just beat a skater that practically everyone thought would win. She was really excited and now you are trying to to make her happiness in that moment seem like it was "all about me"? It sounds more like sour grapes. There was nothing wrong with her body either it matched her age!!!

vCash
    Oh please. Are the people calling Sarah "coltish" etc. offending skinny people?
    Boy are you ever missing the point. Midget is an out-of-date term that many, many people now find offensive.

Sarah's was more womanly and visually appealing, rather than looking like a little girl.
    In YOUR opinion.

Tara's reaction seemed all about "me" whereas Sarah's was more respectful of those around her.
    Ridiculous. Now you're grading the squeals based on how they affected those around them? This must be the off season.

vCash
    Tara was an overall better skater, IMO, but each lady had elements to her skating that were better than the other. For example, Sarah's layback spin was better than Tara's. Both ladies had good speed in their spins. Sarah had a better double axel than Tara. The list goes on.

I thought Tara deserved her Olympic Gold Medal based on her SP and her LP. I didn't think Sarah deserved hers because I felt she should have been lower in the short program by a lot more than she was. Sarah's LP was great, but she wouldn't have won, IMO, if her SP was judged properly.

I preferred watching Tara skate to Sarah. Sarah looked downright uncomfortable a good portion of the time, and sometimes labored. Tara always looked light and in control.

O-
    ETA: Both ladies screamed equally well!

vCash
    ^^^ITA. Whole post, especially the fact that Sarah DID do some elements better than Tara such as the layback spin.

vCash
    'Coltish' is not a term meant for skinny people per se. It's more about people who perhaps look or move a bit awkwardly - like a newborn colt. Heck, it could be a new born hippo too, they're not particularly graceful either. Sarah also had a problem with posture on the ice. She often looked hunched over.

'Midget' is an offensive, out of date term, for little people. Coming from a family of short people (I'm 4'10, taller than my mom) I know what I'm talking about.

And I'm sorry, but your issue with Tara's 'squal-heard-round-the-world' versus Sarah's is just plain silly. I mean, what, am I to understand that there is some kind of a squal-a-meter out there, that I should know about, which makes Sarah's scream or squeal somehow more acceptable than Tara's?

Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Boy are you ever missing the point. Midget is an out-of-date term that many, many people now find offensive.

In YOUR opinion.

Ridiculous. Now you're grading the squeals based on how they affected those around them? This must be the off season.
    Well put.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 06-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    Tara since she had such superior jumps. I dont consider Tara's jumps as great as say Irina Slutskaya's due to that they werent powerful or high enough. However they were still excellent with the rotation, control, air position, and flow out to virtual perfection. She had a very minor flutz and very occasional underrotation on the back end of her triple loop-triple loop combo but those were only technical issues. Sarah has terrible quality jumps, a huge flutz with a gigantic mule kick, a gigantic mule kick on her triple flip and even triple toe, and nothing quality about their delivery. Tara was also much more consistent doing 7 triples, 2 triple lutzes, and hard triple-triples, while Sarah probably only produced that once ever, in her Olympic LP.

The rest of their skating? Meh, not much difference either way. Spirals Sarah was better. Spins I would have thought Sarah but not sure come to think of it. Her camel spins were so slow, and her sit spin wasnt as good as Tara's, and neither had a good scratch spin. However Sarah had a much better layback and could do the catch foot/Half Biellmann type spins fairly well so probably her. Footwork Tara was definitely better, and Tara skated with much more speed, attack, command, and confidence. Sarah had more choreography and transitions, but Tara's delivered her choreography better. Sarah's choreography was quite bad in some ways often too, despite that it was fairly stockd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    Tara since she had such superior jumps. I dont consider Tara's jumps as great as say Irina Slutskaya's due to that they werent powerful or high enough. However they were still excellent with the rotation, control, air position, and flow out to virtual perfection. She had a very minor flutz and very occasional underrotation on the back end of her triple loop-triple loop combo but those were only technical issues. Sarah has terrible quality jumps, a huge flutz with a gigantic mule kick, a gigantic mule kick on her triple flip and even triple toe, and nothing quality about their delivery. Tara was also much more consistent doing 7 triples, 2 triple lutzes, and hard triple-triples, while Sarah probably only produced that once ever, in her Olympic LP.

The rest of their skating? Meh, not much difference either way. Spirals Sarah was better. Spins I would have thought Sarah but not sure come to think of it. Her camel spins were so slow, and her sit spin wasnt as good as Tara's, and neither had a good scratch spin. However Sarah had a much better layback and could do the catch foot/Half Biellmann type spins fairly well so probably her. Footwork Tara was definitely better, and Tara skated with much more speed, attack, command, and confidence. Sarah had more choreography and transitions, but Tara's delivered her choreography better. Sarah's choreography was quite bad in some ways often too, despite that it was fairly stockd.
    What?!? I would say Tara had a major flutz issue. Almost as bad as Sarah's with the high kick and deep inside edge.

vCash
    ^^not to talk about her axel technique

vCash
    Tara's squeal-heard-round-the-world was much more screechy than Sarah's golly-gee-me? peep. Tara's reaction seemed all about "me" whereas Sarah's was more respectful of those around her.
    LOL, back in 1998, Tara's screamed pierced my MK-lovin heart (as well as my ears, ouch!). But Sarah falling off the bench and rolling on the floor with her coach was not exactly a "golly-gee-me peep" either. Anyway, they didn't owe it to their competitors to be "respectful" (whatever that means), they owed it to themselves to enjoy the moment to the fullest.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    LOL, back in 1998, Tara's screamed pierced my MK-lovin heart (as well as my ears, ouch!). But Sarah falling off the bench and rolling on the floor with her coach was not exactly a "golly-gee-me peep" either. Anyway, they didn't owe it to their competitors to be "respectful" (whatever that means), they owed it to themselves to enjoy the moment to the fullest.
    I think Robin owed it to us to act less creepy and ham-fisted during that kiss-n-cry moment. Has any Olympic winning coach ever acted so undignified?

vCash
    I remember she tried to pull that crap with Sylvia Fontana in Torino. But Sylvia was certainly not a 16-year-old girl and didn't have time for that.

As to whether a coach of an Olympic gold medalist had ever looked so undignified, just look at John Geddert, who coached Olympic gymnast Jordyn Wieber (and was on the floor during the competition). He was incredibly embarrassing, shameless, chauvinistic, and dim-witted. At least Wagner wasn't arrogant.
    Of course, there were always the U.S. coaches at the 1996 Atlanta games. Steve Nunno and Bela Karyoli were quite...obnoxious to put it kindly.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-12-2013 at 06:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

As to whether a coach of an Olympic gold medalist had ever looked so undignified, just look at John Geddert, who coached Olympic gymnast Jordyn Wieber (and was on the floor during the competition). He was incredibly embarrassing, shameless, chauvinistic, and dim-witted.
    Should we YouTube any particular event in particular? I've heard nightmare stories about Geddert and have always been curious to see his behavior myself. Sounds like a creep, from the stories I've heard.

I don't think Sarah fell off the couch. I thought Robin pulled her off the couch. But I could be wrong. I'm not going to watch it again. I don't have the stomach to experience that moment again.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Should we YouTube any particular event in particular? I've heard nightmare stories about Geddert and have always been curious to see his behavior myself. Sounds like a creep, from the stories I've heard.

I don't think Sarah fell off the couch. I thought Robin pulled her off the couch. But I could be wrong. I'm not going to watch it again. I don't have the stomach to experience that moment again.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...ews?id=1338353

Scroll down, it was Robin who pulled Sarah off of the couch.

I thought that Sarah's reaction was perfectly fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...ews?id=1338353

Scroll down, it was Robin who pulled Sarah off of the couch.

I thought that Sarah's reaction was perfectly fine.
    Thanks, Kwanette. That's how I remember it.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    'Coltish' is not a term meant for skinny people per se. It's more about people who perhaps look or move a bit awkwardly - like a newborn colt. Heck, it could be a new born hippo too, they're not particularly graceful either. Sarah also had a problem with posture on the ice. She often looked hunched over.
    Tara's posture was also horrendous such as in her layback. Let's say that Tara resembled a baby hippo in her posture. Is that less offensive?

''Midget' is an offensive, out of date term, for little people. Coming from a family of short people (I'm 4'10, taller than my mom) I know what I'm talking about.

And I'm sorry, but your issue with Tara's 'squal-heard-round-the-world' versus Sarah's is just plain silly. I mean, what, am I to understand that there is some kind of a squal-a-meter out there, that I should know about, which makes Sarah's scream or squeal somehow more acceptable than Tara's?
    It's not the first or the last time anyone has or will call Tara a midget. This is the first time, however, I've heard of anyone being offended about discussions of Tara's height. The word "dwarf" is actually used in medical terminology. Would it make you feel better to call Tara a dwarf? If you are insecure about your height then that's sad but no reason to tell others what vocabulary to use.

Tara's squeal was childish, which goes along with her childish body type, which is fine for a child, because that's what she was, but it is ladies skating, not children's skating. That is why Tara's whole aura rubbed many the wrong way. It was extremely garish and out of place. If childishness wasn't a problem then the age rule would not have been implemented while Tara was competing.

Some people may be offended at the terms skinny, lanky, gangly. Doesn't stop anyone from using those terms to describe Sarah because it describes what she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    There was nothing wrong with her body either it matched her age!!!
    Are there athletic body types that don't match people's ages?

vCash
    Robin's reaction was ridiculous and obnoxious. SHE did not just win the Olympics.

I thought Sarah reacted fine and actually I wish Robin did not grab her and pull her on the floor because I would have liked to see her natural reaction. I don't think she would have rolled around with Robin on the floor.

vCash
    This whole thread made me lol. I never got the immense dislike for Sarah Hughes. I don't know much abouth her off-ice behavior so I can't comment on that. Regarding her skating, there were many qualities about her that I liked. I actually agree with Peggy Fleming that Sarah has a natural elegance. I found her style and presentation to be incredibly mature for her age. IMO, other skaters at that age (Mao, Yu-na, Irina, almost all the current top American ladies, as well as similar-aged skaters during her time such as Jenny Kirk or Naomi Nari Nam) seemed relatively juniorish, as great as they were. Even Cohen, who was younger than Hughes, I found to not be as mature in her presentation, though I still liked her a lot in 2002. There aren't many skaters I would say that, at 16, had a more mature style - Kwan is one of them. I do agree though that Sarah's basic skating and jump technique was quite poor though.

However, Lipinski is a stronger skater than Hughes, I don't disagree with that. I also don't think that HUghes' winning performance was better than Lipinski. There's a reason why she didn't get a single 5.9.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast