179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Hughes

40 22.35%
  • Tara Lipinski

139 77.65%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Tara!

I would agree that Sarah had a lot to offer but needed more time and probably better choreography. She also didnt seem to have the best body awareness which is odd because Robin Wagner boasts ballet background.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    ...what impresses me about Lipinski and Hughes is their shared confidence and attack. You could relax knowing they were going to skate well.
    Exactly.

I chose Tara, but agree with siouxdonym about the comments made about Sarah.

vCash
    I found Tara to be so juniorish in terms of style and packaging, but I think she really had all over Sarah. Sarah had more choreography than Tara, and it felt as though her programs were better planned out, but she had such poor posture, and awkward overall body movement. I also never found her to be terribly musical as a skater.

vCash
    Neither were particularly great but Lipinski did improve as a skater, while Hughes just stagnated. Her win at the Olympics was also more flukish than Lipinskis, who many have said, was at least expected to always be top 2 that season.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Tara, without question. I found her programs age and size appropriate and her musical choices as an eligible complimented her style.

Sarah, OTOH, was unwatchable, her choreography was pretentious, think Fosse, her layback notwithstanding, there was nothing about her skating that drew me in.

vCash
    I've never loved Sarah, but I've never hated her either.

Aside from Ave Maria, I actually liked all her short programs: Serenade fur Klara, Vocalise, Piano Concerto -- all lovely.

I didn't care for her long programs aside from Turandot (I actually associate her as much as Shizuka Arakawa) and her exhibitions always felt like they were bordering on 6 minutes.

Nice flow, nice spins, nice 2A, horrible 3Lz and 3F.

What impresses me both about Sarah and Tara was the tremendous improvement in their skating over the course of ~3 seasons. And, of course, their steely competitive nerves.

What bothered me the most was actually off-ice. I found Sarah's accent and general demeanor not particularly pleasing to hear or watch. But those are things she can't really change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Hughes had "more" choreography than Kwan by the time 2002 rolled around. However, I always found that Wagner's choreography was very derivative from other skaters. Like the re-choreographed parts of her Olympic LP seemed inspired from Kwan's surprise Scheherezade ending at 2002 Nationals.
    That's putting it charitably. I always thought it was a blatant rip-off.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    at the idiots in this thread. On what planet was Sarah Hughes "mediocre"? And if she was, then what does that make 98% of the ladies during that time?
    Well, considering she only won one other event besides the Olympics, it would mean that everyone skated pretty below standards at the two events she won.

I realize she is the Olympic Champion and ho hum skaters don't make it to the Olympics (exept for possibly her sister and Rachel Flatt) but her 4th place in the short program was a joke. Her long program was the best of the night but the whole win was a fluke IMO.

Anyway I really liked Sarah's spins and I thought her spiral (aside from the little bend at her knee) was good.
    Last edited by UGG; 06-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Well, considering she only won one other event besides the Olympics, it would mean that everyone skated pretty below standards at the two events she won.
    She won 3 seniors events, but yeah she was mediocre compared to the top skaters. Maybe she wasn't mediocre compared to the entire pool of eligible skaters but she couldn't hold a candle to the top echelon. I will never understand why the USFSA pimped her so hard. I guess they saw something many others did not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    She won 3 seniors events, but yeah she was mediocre compared to the top skaters. Maybe she wasn't mediocre compared to the entire pool of eligible skaters but she couldn't hold a candle to the top echelon. I will never understand why the USFSA pimped her so hard. I guess they saw something many others did not.
    What was the third? I can only think of Skate Canada 2001 and the Olympics.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    1999 Karl Schaefer Memorial ("Vienna Cup"), IIRC.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    99 Vienna Cup.

vCash
    Not even close, Tara by a mile plus.
    Sarah had horrible posture.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Sarah because she was a less annoying skater and a less annoying person in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I remember after winning Olympic gold one reporter mentioned Sarah's 'coltish' look on the ice. I think it was a nice way of saying that she looked gangly or awkward.
    Tara looked pretty darn awkward to me. She may not have been gangly but she was a midget. Not visually appealing. And the screaming/squealing - ugh. Sarah held herself with much more composure even though being only one year older.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 06-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    Giggly vs gangly. I choose neither.

vCash
    Tara Lipisnki all the way.

I don't hate Sarah, but she was frustrating for me to watch because she would create something elegant and ten seconds later start some awkward pose jutting out her chin, or scratching at her neck trying to mime string vibrato...or was she fanning herself? No clue.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTErIOgs_-I#t=3m25s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Tara Lipisnki all the way.

I don't hate Sarah, but she was frustrating for me to watch because she would create something elegant and ten seconds later start some awkward pose jutting out her chin, or scratching at her neck trying to mime string vibrato...or was she fanning herself? No clue.
    Her Fosse program was especially full of awkward poses and it lasted 18 hours. Actually I think she's still performing her SLC exhibition right now.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I liked Tara. I didn't dislike Sarah, but I did dislike how she would take off in her jumps. It looked like to me that she was hiking or raising her leg very high before she jumped. If I remember correctly, I think she did improve on that problem later on.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I'm actually quite impressed with her performance, more so considering she's only 15.

The performance reminds me that being in the 5'5" - 5'6" range, she is very tall for a skater. Michelle and Sasha are 5'2". Maria appeared tall on the ice, but (like Irina) is 5'3". I wonder if that's why Sarah appeared gangly to some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Sarah because she was a less annoying skater and a less annoying person in general.

Tara looked pretty darn awkward to me. She may not have been gangly but she was a midget. Not visually appealing. And the screaming/squealing - ugh. Sarah held herself with much more composure even though being only one year older.
    Well, we can agree to disagree. Tara looked like a pixie to me because of her size but not awkward. And she certainly didn't look like a midget. I think that's kind of offensive for little people. Tara was tiny but proportioned. She was still physically a child. Sarah's posture on the ice, on the other hand, was always a problem for me. And as for the screaming/squealing, Sarah's scream when SHE won Olympic gold in 2002 equals Tara's at her Olympics in 1998. That one's a tie in my book. But hey, they were teenagers excited at winning the biggest competition of their lives. How could anyone blame them for choosing to express their excitement that way?

eta: Looks like Tara's running away with this poll.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 06-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast