139 77.65%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    what a sophie's choice
    I choose death.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    You make a point with Scott Hamilton, and personality and skating showmanship go a long way. Hamilton also was around for a while and not just one Olympics. Urmanov basically was a one hit wonder like Sarah. That said, Sarah Hughes is well known with the public (she's arguably more famous than Sasha Cohen) and in her day made lots of money. I think Sarah's height and looks are what some fans are thinking of-- along with Wagner's stupid and bad choreography--when they call her skating awkward.
    Not really. Urmanov was around since the 1992 Olympics (as a 17 year old) and continued through worlds 1997 when an injury practically ended his career. Even though he competed after that, it was not the same. So he was around a long time, in a meaningful way. The reason we don't hear much about Urmanov is that the US media never embraced him. He was an elegant skater with perfect technique on jumps. He was also a good show skater, but again in N.America they preferred Stojko's (forward landed but consistent) jumps over Urmanov's elegance. Hamilton was so well known because he was American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    If only Plushenko had followed his example.
    That's mean. I hate it when people make fun of someone's looks. It's not something that one has control over. If you meant it to be a joke, I prefer healthier jokes.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Hughes had quite good choreography, even in 2003 when she was not in shape. Her Daphnis et Chloe program is class. I remember her programs being more interesting than Kwan's or Slutskaya's, and she had nice spirals and spins. Lipinski's eligible programs all run together for me.

Lipinski did get better as a pro, and was better than Hughes as a pro, of course, since Hughes hardly skated.

vCash
    Tara was both the better and more enjoyable to watch skater. Sarah was just so average. She wasnt a great jumper and Tara was a great jumper also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I don't see her as more famous than Cohen. I just don't see the press making the same fuss about her had she returned to the 2010 Nationals as much as they did for Sasha as the returning Olympic silver medalist. Jmo.
    Really? Most casual skating viewers I know remember Sarah and her win quite well. When I went to Stars on Ice last year, my coworker proudly informed me that she didn't watch skating much but saw Sarah Hughes headline the tour months after winning the Olympics. She was probably thinking of Champions on Ice but that's beside the point. I can't think of anyone who has brought up Sasha, maybe because she never had a truly memorable performance on the big, big, big stage. Her short program in 06 Torino was pretty good but her disaster in the long sadly overshadowed it for many people, even if it shouldn't have. And I think Sarah returning in 2010 would have been a disaster result BUT I think she would have received far more press for it than Sasha did. The media LOVES the Hughes girls, and with both of them "competing" for an Olympic spot? The coverage would have been over the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not really. Urmanov was around since the 1992 Olympics (as a 17 year old) and continued through worlds 1997 when an injury practically ended his career. Even though he competed after that, it was not the same. So he was around a long time, in a meaningful way. The reason we don't hear much about Urmanov is that the US media never embraced him. He was an elegant skater with perfect technique on jumps. He was also a good show skater, but again in N.America they preferred Stojko's (forward landed but consistent) jumps over Urmanov's elegance. Hamilton was so well known because he was American.
    Of course! But I suspect skating judges and fans liked that he was a consistent competitor over five world championships and two Olympics, and he won five of those titles. Urmanov has but one world bronze from 1993, and then he was outside the world medals. He was well known during the late 90s skating boom as the handsome reigning Olympic champion in weird gloves, but he didn't have the recurrent wins over time that Hamilton or a Kwan had. He was not going to attain a Plushenko status. He was more like Hughes-- if Hughes had not gotten fat after she won and had to retire. I know Urmanov got 5th in Albertville, but that was such a bad men's competition.

vCash
    I am surprised the media did not promote Emily Hughes even more than they did and play up her familial celebrity. Perhaps by 2006 budgets for fluff piece airtime had dried up. They had to show extra commercials for Smart One's Pizza and RepHresh feminine freshness kits instead of cozy Hughes family moments.

vCash
    Wow... So much Hughes family hate around here...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    I choose death.
    Seconded.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Having seen them both skate their best live, what impresses me about Lipinski and Hughes is their shared confidence and attack. You could relax knowing they were going to skate well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Having seen them both skate their best live, what impresses me about Lipinski and Hughes is their shared confidence and attack. You could relax knowing they were going to skate well.
    How true is that. That is something lacking with the top US Ladies for about the last 5-6 years. Just looking at their faces you know they are going to meltdown. With Tara and Sarah you knew they might not win but they wouldn't crash and burn on the ice.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Hughes had quite good choreography, even in 2003 when she was not in shape. Her Daphnis et Chloe program is class. I remember her programs being more interesting than Kwan's or Slutskaya's, and she had nice spirals and spins. Lipinski's eligible programs all run together for me.

Lipinski did get better as a pro, and was better than Hughes as a pro, of course, since Hughes hardly skated.
    I think Hughes had "more" choreography than Kwan by the time 2002 rolled around. However, I always found that Wagner's choreography was very derivative from other skaters. Like the re-choreographed parts of her Olympic LP seemed inspired from Kwan's surprise Scheherezade ending at 2002 Nationals.

vCash
    Tara Lipinski, by a mile.
    I can watch many Tara Lipinski performance, but I can't watch any Sarah Hughes performance.

vCash
    at the idiots in this thread. On what planet was Sarah Hughes "mediocre"? And if she was, then what does that make 98% of the ladies during that time?

Blergh
    vCash
    I think Hughes has the misfortune of getting the wrath of Kwan fans, Slutskaya fans, and Butyrskaya fans with a pinch of Sasha fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Really? Most casual skating viewers I know remember Sarah and her win quite well. When I went to Stars on Ice last year, my coworker proudly informed me that she didn't watch skating much but saw Sarah Hughes headline the tour months after winning the Olympics. She was probably thinking of Champions on Ice but that's beside the point. I can't think of anyone who has brought up Sasha, maybe because she never had a truly memorable performance on the big, big, big stage. Her short program in 06 Torino was pretty good but her disaster in the long sadly overshadowed it for many people, even if it shouldn't have. And I think Sarah returning in 2010 would have been a disaster result BUT I think she would have received far more press for it than Sasha did. The media LOVES the Hughes girls, and with both of them "competing" for an Olympic spot? The coverage would have been over the top.
    I can say the same about Cohen. Even my non-skating fans remember her. Ask them about Hughes (which I did just to be sure) and they draw a blank. Guess it's a matter of who you talk to.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think you guys should count yourself lucky that anyone of a certain demographic remembers any figure skater in the real world.

vCash
    I think your taking this too much to heart. It's just a poll and everyone has an opinion.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I think your taking this too much to heart. It's just a poll and everyone has an opinion.
    Not sure how that follows my post, but ok...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast