Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Hughes

40 22.35%
  • Tara Lipinski

139 77.65%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hughes or Lipinski? Whose skating do you like more?

Which 15/16 year old American Olympic champion do you love the most?

vCash
    Lipinski because she had the verve in spades and more frequently

vCash
    Hughes looked very awkward to me, Lipinski had funky technique on her jumps but seemed to have better skating skills. Hughes spins were gorgeous, the best part of her skating and she had longer limbs but didn't know how to use them
    I'll pick Sarah Hughes Dorothy Hamill's haircut, too

vCash
    Lipinski by a lot. In spite of her flutz she had real star quality to me. Hughes on the other hand-no love lost there. I never cared for Sarah or her skating at all.

vCash
    Sarah..

vCash
    Tara by a mile, she had much better posture and no eyesores in her skating. Sarah had a nice layback but her flutz and flip entries were cringeworthy.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Tara - notably superior skating skills and dynamism

vCash
    Lipinski

vCash
    Tara...and by a mile.

vCash
    I think Lipinski is perceived as better or more likable for several reasons. She was small and cute rather than tall with a big nose. Also she tried to be so different from Kwan. Lastly she had first rate Bezic choreography and packaging rather than a disastrous hack like Robin Wagner.

I blame Robin Wagner for most of Hughes' ugly programs. Sarah was better than she gets credit for, because she did not have a naturally advantageous body type like Cohen or Lipinski. She did well in spite of this. Next to Michelle Kwan, whose skating is a delicate and intricate masterpiece (even her 2002 Scheherazade is 100 levels beyond everyone but Sasha artistically), Hughes often looked like a three dollar imitation-- with awful jumping technique to boot. The choreographic choices and the bad jumps, of course, can be traced back to the delusional Wagner.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    I have to go with Tara. Her skating developed as a professional into something quite outstanding.

vCash
    I did not care for Sarah's skating at all. I saw her as someone that could develop into something good in the future. That future never happened. She could not build a professional career after her OGM, and her year after that OGM was very disappointing.

Tara was exciting to watch, despite her small jumps, and she did develop artistically as a professional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think Lipinski is perceived as better or more likable for several reasons. She was small and cute rather than tall with a big nose.
    I couldn't stand Sarah's skating and I never thought she was, er, very attractive but I truly never noticed her having a big nose. Besides nose sizes have anything to do with popularity or skating quality. If big noses mattered to skating fans or judges, Michelle Kwan wouldn't be one of the most beloved skaters of all time.

Oh and I voted for Tara by a wide margin. I couldn't stand Sarah's skating. Her artisty was forced, her jumps stunk and her choreography was a greatest hits of other skater's programs. I even hated the exaggerated bows she took after every program. Plus she was rude to more than one person I know and her podium behavior at 2000 Skate America was ridiculous, especially since she had no business feeling robbed. Now having heard Jenny Kirk talk about Sarah and Robin Wagner staring down other skaters in locker rooms, I think my hunch that she was a snot might be true.
    Last edited by fenway2; 06-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    If big noses mattered to skating fans or judges, Michelle Kwan wouldn't be one of the most beloved skaters of all time.
    Interestingly, it was the "Nose Factor" that caused Jimmy Durante to abandon his Olympic skating aspirations back in the 1920s, and opt for Vaudeville instead. That, and his "Schnozzolle" adversely affected his center of gravity in the more advanced skating maneuvers.

vCash
    The only thing I liked about Sarah was her spins and spiral. Aside from that I found her skating to be very awkward looking...even when she got older there was a juniorish quality about the way she presented her programs that irked me. Her technique was not good (mule-kicky, often cheated jumps) and her artistry was rather weak IMO.

Tara was tiny and she had technique issues too but she had good skating skills and, most importantly, she had spark and fire when she skated. I think Tara's programs weren't all that wonderful from an artistry standpoint but they fit her style very well.

I definitely have a zillion times more respect for Tara and I prefer her skating over Sarah's.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    what a sophie's choice
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    what a sophie's choice
    No it's not. Tara's winning this one by a landslide.

I didn't even consider Sarah's looks. I don't think she's any prettier or less attractive than Tara. I just didn't care for her skating and her personality was just..not there or something. Looks or lack there of certainly didn't get in the way of say Scott Hamilton's success. His personality, his smile and his story pretty much made him a star in his sport as well as winning Olympic gold. Alexei Urmanov , on the other hand, and who imo is far better looking than Hamilton never really became much of a star in spite of good looks. I'm sure there are other examples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    Interestingly, it was the "Nose Factor" that caused Jimmy Durante to abandon his Olympic skating aspirations back in the 1920s, and opt for Vaudeville instead. That, and his "Schnozzolle" adversely affected his center of gravity in the more advanced skating maneuvers.
    If only Plushenko had followed his example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    No it's not. Tara's winning this one by a landslide.

I didn't even consider Sarah's looks. I don't think she's any prettier or less attractive than Tara. I just didn't care for her skating and her personality was just..not there or something. Looks or lack there of certainly didn't get in the way of say Scott Hamilton's success. His personality, his smile and his story pretty much made him a star in his sport as well as winning Olympic gold. Alexei Urmanov , on the other hand, and who imo is far better looking than Hamilton never really became much of a star in spite of good looks. I'm sure there are other examples.
    You make a point with Scott Hamilton, and personality and skating showmanship go a long way. Hamilton also was around for a while and not just one Olympics. Urmanov basically was a one hit wonder like Sarah. That said, Sarah Hughes is well known with the public (she's arguably more famous than Sasha Cohen) and in her day made lots of money. I think Sarah's height and looks are what some fans are thinking of-- along with Wagner's stupid and bad choreography--when they call her skating awkward.

vCash
    I remember after winning Olympic gold one reporter mentioned Sarah's 'coltish' look on the ice. I think it was a nice way of saying that she looked gangly or awkward. I guess she doesn't appeal to a lot of 'real' skating fans but the Olympic audience probably didn't care one way or the other. I don't see her as more famous than Cohen. I just don't see the press making the same fuss about her had she returned to the 2010 Nationals as much as they did for Sasha as the returning Olympic silver medalist. Jmo.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast