Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    I think my first was Jennifer Robinson - and she was lovely. My DH ran into her at a competition where she was watching her husband coach. He asked her if she would wait so he could bring our daughters to meet her and get an autograph (very brazen I thought) but she agreed and actually stayed right where she was and not only gave the girls autographs but also posed for pictures with them.

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to meet Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Kurt Browning, Shae Lynn Bourne, Jeff Buttle, Chris Mabee, Liz Manley (the woman who really caused me to follow skating), Barb Underhill, Anabelle Langlois, Cody Hay, Scott Moir, Andrew Poje, Kaitlyn Weaver, Maxim Trankov, Lloyd Eisler, Isabelle Brasseur and probably a few others whom I've forgotten. As I constructed this list I realized that with the exception of only one, every single one of these encounters were very pleasant. Jennifer Robinson and Kurt Browning absolutely were the standouts though. Both went over and above the standard autograph and photo op and engaged the fans around them in conversation, asked questions and appeared to be genuinely happy to interact with their fans. I was very impressed by them both.

vCash
    The first for my son who skates was Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto at a skating clinic at a Michigan rink in 2006. My daughter had made a charcoal drawing of Tanith and Ben based on one of their event photos, which they autographed. They were both extremely gracious, so it does not surprise me at all to see that Tanith has now gotten a Sonjia Henie award for positively promoting the sport as a professional now. The ironic thing is, my son was only doing singles skating then, but seven years later and now into ice dance, he started getting instruction from Tanith as a coach this spring when he changed rinks. I've thought I might bring the old picture out sometime when I visit this summer for a good laugh!

vCash
    This is by far the most interesting thread I've ever read on FSU. Thanks, N_Halifax, for starting it; and thanks to everyone for sharing the stories of your encounters.

vCash
    I met Emanuel Sandhu when he was 17 and did an extensive interview about him, then published two articles on him.

Two weeks ago I was at the liquor store in my neighbourhood and ran into Jeremy Ten!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

Two weeks ago I was at the liquor store in my neighbourhood and ran into Jeremy Ten!!
    So what kind of booze does Jeremy slug down?

Terry Kubicka was our family veterinarian for years. Such a nice guy, great skater and terrific vet! He was very humble and shy about his skating accomplishments.

I sat right next to Katarina Witt at Skate America 2005. Very sweet and looks even better in person.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post

Oh dear. That's three strikes against Underhill so far!
    YMMV. I've met Barb Underhill twice and she was extremely gracious both times. I also gave her flowers at a Stars on Ice show once, and she sent me a signed photo and a lovely letter a week later.

The first skater I ever met was Kurt Browning. There aren't enough positive words in the world to describe him.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I met a lot of skaters at 98 Nats, autographs, etc.

The first conversations that I ever had with skaters were at A Skater's Tribute to Broadway in Phila in 98. Klimova and Pomerenko and Todd Eldredge and all three of them were as lovely as they could be.

vCash
    Peggy Flemming, at the airport in Gotheborg in 2008 for the world championships, she was very kind and pleasant to have a few words with, though I have to say that the first skater I met was Susie Wynne and then she introduced me with Miss Flemming, both were very polite and showed some surprise when I told them I was from Mexico, they said it was very good to have some fan from a non traditional skating country all the way in Sweden.

Then I met of course a lot of skaters, all but one were kind and polite
    Last edited by Braulio; 06-13-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Agreeing with everyone who has said that skaters are generally very polite to fans. With only one notable (and repeated) exception, every skater I have had an opportunity to meet has been very polite, friendly (even the ones you can tell are shy) and appreciative of fans. I think skaters as a group in general are really a nice bunch of folks.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Elaine Zayak, 1984. She sat down next to us at Worlds while she was waiting to be interviewed by John Tesh & John Mischa Petkevich after her bronze medal winning skate.

vCash
    It took me a while but I figured out who the first one was. I met Tracy Wilson at Sectionals in Powell River BC in the early 80s. She was unbelievably nice and admired my Vancouver Canuck shoelaces and told me she had some exactly like it at home. It absolutely made my day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Agreeing with everyone who has said that skaters are generally very polite to fans. With only one notable (and repeated) exception, every skater I have had an opportunity to meet has been very polite, friendly (even the ones you can tell are shy) and appreciative of fans. I think skaters as a group in general are really a nice bunch of folks.
    I totally agree.It is easy to understand that the young and shy are so, the publicity can sometimes be very scary, but I have also only met one not-so-nice skater, and I have met lots of them.

Back to the topic, my first was Kristina Wegelius, in the end of the 80´s in the party of our common hometown that time. I was surprised how tiny she was.

vCash
    I met Scott, Tessa, and Kurt last year at the Lindt opening. All were sooo sweet. Unbelievably kind and chatty.. I didn't have to worry about being shy at all!

vCash
    Barbara Ann Scott and Donald Jackson at Oshawa Figure Skating Club when I was a child.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    So what kind of booze does Jeremy slug down?

It looked a bottle of wine but could have been a spirit or liqueur , I suppose.

vCash
    I have already posted my first encounter but just remembered my daughters. Despite my efforts she only started to really appreciate skating in her mid to late teens. I had told her many stories of my time in skating and skaters I had met etc before we went to watch an international. As there had been a gap of about 20 years between my visits to internationals I wasn't sure whether security would be tighter etc. and didn't want her to be disappointed if sh eonly got to see the skaters when they were on the ice.

We went to Oberstdorf in 2009, Olympic qualification year and she was really excited to see Stephane Lambiel skate so you can imagine how she felt when as we were watching he walked along and literally sat in the seat right next to her. He was very sweet and had photographs and signed her ticket. That same competition we sat and chatted for ages with Meryl Davis and Charlie White's mums and subsequently met the skaters themselves, and she also met Tatiana Volosozhar, Aliona Savchenko, Alissa Czisny, Kiira Korpi, Ryan Bradley and many others and every one was delightful. Her love of skating was cemented by those meetings and she still loves to do a bit of "skater stalking".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emadden View Post
    Barbara Ann Scott and Donald Jackson at Oshawa Figure Skating Club when I was a child.
    WOW!

vCash
    Well, as I am new fan, my first well-known skater I met, is still is the only one what I've met, and she is...
    Zijun Li!

She was at the Volvo Cup this January (which btw was the first skating competition I watched live), and she was SO flawless, that after the free skating, as there weren't many people, I just started stalking her She was watching pics from free skating in computer, and I just went to see her closer, and then I couraged myself and said "Hello"! Well, we talked about 5 minutes, that was really cool. She's really cute in person, and after that I became BIG her fan.

vCash
    Emmanuel Sandu used to come with Joanne McLeod when he was about 12 or 13 and demonstrated for her during her seminars. He was absolutely amazing at that time. A number of skaters came and practiced at our rink that were there on a tour. I remember Michelle Kwan as being super nice and so tiny. Victor and Shae-lynn were very friendly. Victor came into the skating office and politely asked if they could borrow a pylon which they used to practice their hydro-blading. For some reason the person he asked really hesitated so I stepped up and said of course they would use the pylons - they could have them as far as I was concerned.
    pug lover

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner back in the '70s.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast