Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Johnny Weir after the 2005 US Nationals medal ceremony. He was very nice and signed for every last fan.

She was mean and SO grouchy. Todd was discretely apologetic for her disposition. It was at Skate America in 1995 i believe at Joe Louis Arena

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I want to say in general that skaters are nicer than many other athletes. (I have worked with a few such on cause-related campaigns and let's just say I would not date a baseball player. Ever.) Part of it is that they are not immersed in the macho crap that goes with major male-dominated sports in the U.S. and part of it is that, now that skating is unfortunately a niche sport again, they are so happy and flattered to be recognized unless they are at the very top of the pyramid. And even then, some are just lovely.

I talked to little Tukh at Euros this past winter. I think her English is next to non-existent and she is so small I felt like I needed to crouch down to be eye-to-eye (I'm 5'6"!) but she was very sweet. And despite what most people think of him, Mr. Amodio was also quite polite and nice.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I met Brian Orser when he was signing autographs at a Winter Carnival - he was extremely nice. And around the same time (and ongoing for a few years after), I skated at Rohene Ward's rink. He's also very nice and great fun, but sharing training sessions that he was on was a bit frightening. He's very very fast, so there was a lot of plastering myself against the boards while the hurricane force wind went by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Evgeni Plushenko. He was super nice and spent about twenty minutes with my friends and me once he found out we'd all flown from the US to see him skate.
    That's terrific!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrak View Post
    The first skater I ever met was Kurt Browning, signing autographs at Eaton's after Lillehammer. Met him several times since then and he's always charming and always has time for the fans. Met him again last month in Vancouver for Stars on Ice, a brief conversation totally made my day.

I totally agree with you about Barb Underhill, when I attended my first Skate Canada in Kamloops in 1998 she was commentating for CTV. She would blast through crowds of fans totally ignoring them. If she did get caught for an autograph she signed rather begrudgingly. Paul Martini, on the other hand, who was slightly more pleasant, would sign for fans if he had to. And if you asked he'd sign her name too!

Victor Kraatz is so nice! As is Josee Chouinard. I've never been a big fan of Jennifer Robinson's, but I've never seen her be anything less than super pleasant and accommodating to her fans either.
    I was thinking that Underhill tragically lost her young daughter in 1993 and it was horrible and I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt but, in spite of her loss, she should maybe try to be nice to people when in public. She started a foundation in her daughter's name and brushing people off like that doesn't help with public relations/generating funds. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    Barb Underhill. Unfortunately she was a miserable "B"
    Oh dear. That's three strikes against Underhill so far!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 06-11-2013 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Poor Barb Underhill, can't catch a break! So she had some off days 15 or 20 years ago and she is permanently doomed as a nasty bit of goods! It must be really hard being a famous person, expected to be "on" all the time, gracious and cordial to everyone. That having been said, I really do get how painful it must feel when you really admire a skater, have got maybe 5 or 10 seconds to get their attention and then those 5 or 10 seconds happen to be not their best 5 or 10 of that day. I've got friends who had really positive exchanges with Barb, later on in her career. It's quite possible that when she was commentating, she was completely focused on her job to the exclusion of all else and early on, just plain green and didn't know how to handle such things with grace.

Anyway, my first real meet was with Toller Cranston and it was fabulous! I too was worried that I might catch him at the wrong time but I went to his studio with a good friend who is related to him. This was her birthday gift to me! Wow! It was wonderful! He was absolutely hilarious, very much melodramatic and generous with his time. I dined out on that story for quite a while I can tell you.

I was served by Brian Orser in his restaurant many years ago but was too tongue-tied to say much of anything. And I met Ellen Burka who showed me some of her Toller paintings; what a lovely lady!

These meetings really do mean a lot to us, don't they? I think Kurt really gets that, perhaps more than any skater around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post

These meetings really do mean a lot to us, don't they? I think Kurt really gets that, perhaps more than any skater around.
    For sure, I was lucky enough to go to a Stars on Ice reception a few years ago. There were a lot of people there, poor Kurt never made it in the door....all the fans wanted to talk to him, get autographs, pictures, etc. Someone brought him a plate of food so he could continue giving each fan his undivided attention. Total class act. My all time favourite skater, on and off the ice.

I also met Virtue & Moir at Stars on Ice this year, we were staying in the same hotel in Vancouver. Returning there after breakfast the morning after the show Scott was standing in front of the hotel. He was alone, so I kinda nodded to him & said great show last night, that turned into quite a conversation that lasted a few minutes until Tessa came out and joined in. Both totally charming.

vCash
    Poor Barb Underhill, can't catch a break! So she had some off days 15 or 20 years ago and she is permanently doomed as a nasty bit of goods! It must be really hard being a famous person, expected to be "on" all the time, gracious and cordial to everyone. That having been said, I really do get how painful it must feel when you really admire a skater, have got maybe 5 or 10 seconds to get their attention and then those 5 or 10 seconds happen to be not their best 5 or 10 of that day. I've got friends who had really positive exchanges with Barb, later on in her career. It's quite possible that when she was commentating, she was completely focused on her job to the exclusion of all else and early on, just plain green and didn't know how to handle such things with grace.
    I agree completely. And to call someone a "bitch" just because of that is a bit too much, in my opinion.

vCash
    My first famous skater on the scale of "OMG I've seen you on TV" was Peter Tchernyshev. He and Naomi taught a skating clinic at my rink. He held my hand while I worked on forward progressives.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Mine is Dorothy Hamill........she skated at a local rink with my son!

vCash
    I was on holiday in Russia in 2002 and came across a show which featured lots of skaters, so I went!

At the end of the show, I met Surya Bonaly and asked her politely in French whether I could take a picture with her. She was just extremely lovely, and asked me what I was doing in Russia / what I thought of Russia etc., We had a nice chat, and needless to say, I have liked her ever since.

vCash
    have been in the US for the last 5 years and still haven't met any skater i would love to meet. i would love to meet gordeeva, browning, chris dean, peizerat among the retired ranks, and virtue/moir, volosozhar/trankov, savchenko/szolkowy among the amateurs. johnny weir would be awesome to meet as well!

vCash
    I've got friends who had really positive exchanges with Barb, later on in her career.
    I can vouch for that. I met her after a taping of Battle of the Blades a few years ago, and I found her to be very friendly!

vCash
    Scrufflet, I envy your meeting Toller and Mrs. Burka!

vCash
    I get that, but she wasn't commentating at the time I saw her, she was walking towards the booth during a flood of the ice. I forget who her co-commentator was (probably Rod Black), but whoever it was, they were very kind and willing to sign autographs (I had no idea who it was at that age, though). People are entitled to their off days, however even if she didn't want to be bothered, she could have said something a bit nicer, or at least just been polite. To me, her being at a rink, publicly, for a major event, would be like Brad Pitt being at a movie premiere, refusing to sign autographs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I get that, but she wasn't commentating at the time I saw her, she was walking towards the booth during a flood of the ice. I forget who her co-commentator was (probably Rod Black), but whoever it was, they were very kind and willing to sign autographs (I had no idea who it was at that age, though). People are entitled to their off days, however even if she didn't want to be bothered, she could have said something a bit nicer, or at least just been polite. To me, her being at a rink, publicly, for a major event, would be like Brad Pitt being at a movie premiere, refusing to sign autographs.
    That's too bad (not being sarcastic). I hope your next meet is positive and memorable.

A humorous one for you all:
    Years ago we were at a Stars On Ice and I was hoping to get up close and personal with Kurt (didn't happen) and David Pelletier. We had on-ice tickets and he approached at the end of the show, closer, closer, stopped in front of me and shook my hand. Sigh... And he looked quite past me, locked eyes with a little girl of about 9, reached through the crowd and had a conversation with her. Agghhh! She was asked who her fave skater was and said "the funny one" , meaning Kurt in his clown routine! Now is that fair? All the way home we were laughing about it and plotting to borrow somebody's cute kid for next year, maybe put a fake bandage on her and plonk her in front for maximum skater attention! You've got to laugh!

vCash
    So near, and yet so far!
    What a great story.

vCash
    Seems funny that I have been watching skating since the late 50's and hadn't met anyone. Then this year I attended the meet and greet at CSOI in Vancouver and met Tessa and Scott and had pictures taken with them. They had been seated for everyone when pics being taken. When it was my turn, Tess asked where I was from and when I answered Wiiliams Lake she said they had no idea were that was. I told her 350 miles north of Vancouver. She laughed and said that if I could travel so far to see them the least they could do was stand up for the pics. They spent alittle time talking with my grandaughter and me. They were very kind and gracious. I know there has been a lot of talk on other threads about Scott, but he appeared kind, funny and very charmingly normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Scrufflet, I envy your meeting Toller and Mrs. Burka!
    Both were truly wonderful and I wish the same for you! For years, I wanted to meet Kurt and it never happened. Even a few of my non-skating friends had met him. Just did not seem fair! At SOI this year, I sat beside Teenes and told her this, laughing about it, and guess what! I actually got a hug from Kurt at the end of the show! What an absolute delight! I guess if you wait long enough.....

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

First Well Known Skater You Met In Person

Michelle Kwan

I was flying back from Worlds in Moscow and she was on my return flight up in Business class. Someone else from my tour talked to her before our Delta flight departed. I saw her in Customs in NY, gathering all her luggage.
    This space for rent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast