Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yu-Na Kim on Boxing day in 2007!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    I got a tweet from Ashley Wagner once but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count, haha. I live in the Detroit suburbs, so I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to meet Meryl and Charlie, the Shibutanis, Alissa Czisny, or Jeremy Abbott!
    Well, in that case, some of my tweets have been "favorited" by Max Aaron...and he and a few other skaters have "liked" comments I made on Facebook.

I'd LOVE to get a direct tweet or message!

P.S. Good luck meeting your Detroit-based skaters! And welcome to FSU!!

EDIT: Actually Maddie Aaron has sent me a few short thank you messages on Facebook. All the Aaron kids seem very polite, sweet and kind.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.

vCash
    I had to kick Adam Rippon out of my seat in 2005 at Nationals in Portland and have maintained contact ever since, met Johnny just prior to Festa in April, 2009 and went as his guest to all performances just outside Seoul. I met Yuna Kim at the elevator at the skaters' hotel during the same time period as well as Brian Orser and David Wilson. For some reason, Brian Boitano now speaks to me every year at Nationals, and had an extended conversation with Frank Carroll this year at Nationals.

The most humorous introduction that I had was to Delilah Sappenfield, who a lot of people think I look like. The fact that I'm probably about 15 years olders, a foot taller and can't skate is of no consequence, which both of us found amusing. The most unexpected incident was when Dick Button walked up to me and asked what the name and hometown of the skater on the ice was at 2008 Nationals.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Rudy Galindo, August 2003, with his first hip surgery Even in pain, he was extremely polite and utterly adorable.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Alissa Czisny, I took an adult skating clinic (spins and footwork) from her and Amber. She was very sweet, and taller than I expected. She was so quiet, her sister did most the talking. It was fun, because she kept asking me to demonstrate things, since I was the only CW spinner in the group, I think she was favoring me.

I also took a clinic the day before from Jonathan Cassar (jumps and "style on ice/transition moves"). I didn't know who he was at the time, but man, I couldn't have found a better person to learn transition moves from. He did show us the spread eagles!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Well, in that case, some of my tweets have been "favorited" by Max Aaron...and he and a few other skaters have "liked" comments I made on Facebook.

EDIT: Actually Maddie Aaron has sent me a few short thank you messages on Facebook. All the Aaron kids seem very polite, sweet and kind.
    Thank you so much! I've been lurking FSU for quite some while Ashley tweeted me because ESPNW was doing a Q and A thing and they picked my question. It's not much, but she's my favorite skater and I was so excited to have her tweet me!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Thank you so much! I've been lurking FSU for quite some while Ashley tweeted me because ESPNW was doing a Q and A thing and they picked my question. It's not much, but she's my favorite skater and I was so excited to have her tweet me!
    I know what you mean...every time a skater acknowledges my existence in any way it feels like I've won some kind of prize!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I met T&D and Robin Cousins very briefly in the 1980's but it was 1991 before I got the chance to meet a lot of skaters in one go. Bizarrely there seemed to have been a second tier post Worlds tour that, even more bizarrely came to a small rink with a capacity of about 73 in East Yorkshire where I grew up. To this day I have no idea how this event ever took place but along with Steven Cousins and Joanne Conway who were the top Brits at the time, topping the bill were Klimova & Ponomarenko, Bonaly, Daniel Weiss (who was a very popular skater at the time) and Usova & Zhulin!!.
    Was this Grimsby by any chance? Just asking because one of my first encounters was with Bestemianova and Bukin, Barber and Slater and Vladimir Kotin at a Grimsby show. I think the Cushleys, Joanne Conway and Gina Fulton were there as well but I went a few times so I may be mixing up shows. If it was, the reasoning behind it was that there was an ISU dance official ( I want to say Lawrence Demmy but not 100% certain) lived in the area and used to give feedback to the dancers on their programmes, the rink would then organise shows whilst they were there. I can remember it being very odd watching them perform on such a small rink. My then boyfriend used to be invited to skate in the shows too so we did get to spend a lot of time all the skaters together at the hotel etc

Around that time as well they did a few second tier type shows I remember meeting Kurt Browning and Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall at a show in Swindon and also an international Skate Electric event at Bracknell(?) which included a young Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo. You talk about Chery Peake and Andrew Naylor and I was in Canada with them when they trained with Mr Leitch and we hired a car together to go to see Niagara falls with a young american pair whose names escape me. When we first arrived in Canada there was no house for us so we first shared with Doug Ladret and then moved in with Cynthia Coull for the rest of our stay. Seems very weird looking back on it now, lots of great memories but seems like a different world!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post

Alex Shibutani has direct messaged me twice.

In real life I met Kimmie Meissner in 2007 shortly after her world champion win. She was an absolute angel, still one of my biggest highlights from my skating years.

I handed a can of Coca-Cola over to Dean Copely once, but our fingers didn't even touch

I met Kristi Yamaguchi at an event in DC last year where she was promoting her new book at the MLK library. It was a very poorly advertised event and most people happened to be there by chance, randomly milling around with their kids. I got there late so I wasn't sure if she'd already left, and had to run around like an idiot trying to inconspicuously peer at every Asian female in the room to see if it was her in the end it turned out that she hadn't even arrived yet and she was waaaaaaay tinier than anyone else in the room. She was kind enough to sign my skate and asked me where I skated and told me that she'd been there many times I was too shell shocked to say anything coherent!

vCash
    Sarah Abitbol & Stephane Bernadis at Golden Spin 2001 where they qualified for the 2002 Olympics.
    They were my first famous skaters to meet and I was petrified.
    Sarah didnt talk to me.
    Stephane was nice and spelled my name correctly writing "Big kiss KOSJENKA".

I was so pissed off when they left before the gala. I still have a penguin toy I intended to give to them.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I think the statute of limitations on keeping this quiet has passed (14 years.) When I was working on gun control, Christy Ness got in touch with me to see if there was something she and Kristi Y could do for the cause. I was so excited and pleased. As it turned out, nothing really worked out but my colleagues were teasing me for weeks that this was the only celebrity that I had gotten excited about -- there were Hollywood people we worked with, but that didn't do much for me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    First of all, I am aging myself as I saw all of the 1961 team because they were at our rink to practice for North Americans in Philly, ugh, very sad memories, one of my high school friends lost her dad and stepmom. And my list is of Americans except isn't Lori Nichols Canadian now, but I believe she skated at our rink as a child, she remembered me. Scott Hamilton was there as a residential teenager perhaps through '83, I think he was gone by the Os he won in 84, with coach Don Laws who was making a return (I think I took from him as a wee one when he was first there), Kitty and Peter Carruthers came from Wilmington to see Scott and do exhibitions lots, they were teenagers together, Todd Eldredge lived there at age 10-15 and I believe he had the triple axel at 10, he was a jumping bean, Susie Wynne and Joe Druar went to high school and skated out of our rink and had to get weighed in each day, Craig Maurizzi about the same, all (including others I can't remember) with Richard Callaghan as coach, and it was Brent Bommentre's home rink and he had various partners especially Kim Navarro. Oh, Paul Wylie came once to our rink and I tried to get him to sign a picture of my oldest with her dance partner at age 10 in Intermediate, and he was not pleased and thought it was some girl someone forced him to take through dances. Nicole Bobek came at about age 13, she looked 23, maybe 33, clearly no mother in sight, and, sigh, I think she kind of wanted a bigger fuss made over her than we did (we were all busy with a competition, I think she was in it). Ashley Wagner was there for a competition with her coach before Priscilla Hill, can't remember her name but coach was intense and grouchy and Ashley had gorgeous posture, even then. Oops, this is supposed to be the first, and as usual I went overboard. But the fact that all of these people were in little old Ardmore blows my mind sometimes. Of course, when Richard was there, High Test meant 4-5th figure test and above, so they took our ice, and in the end, it sort of all fell apart and most of the crowd left, and then we could get our own Medium and Low skaters and even our little kids back to full ice time.

vCash
    damn... Do i have to be honest? Fine... It was Jeni Meno... total repulsive B%$#H... Todd Sand was Super. If i were a liar i would say Shizuka... She was glorious. I remember shaking her hand and thinking it belonged to a toddler. Watching her in practice in 2005 summer was breathtaking. My favorite was Patrick Chan at the DSC. That dude is beyond incredible to watch practice but as normal in person as a landscaper. Met my share of coaches ( Tarasova was my fav) and skaters but i gotta say that Patrick was surreal and awe-inspiring.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Alexander Abt in November 1999. There as a show all the clubs from our "state" participated in and Sasha Abt was one of the guests. Totally fell in love with him and his skating back then and all the mothers were

vCash
    Barb Underhill. Unfortunately she was a miserable "B"

vCash
    Johnny Weir after the 2005 US Nationals medal ceremony. He was very nice and signed for every last fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    damn... Do i have to be honest? Fine... It was Jeni Meno... total repulsive B%$#H
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    Was this Grimsby by any chance? Just asking because one of my first encounters was with Bestemianova and Bukin, Barber and Slater and Vladimir Kotin at a Grimsby show. I think the Cushleys, Joanne Conway and Gina Fulton were there as well but I went a few times so I may be mixing up shows. If it was, the reasoning behind it was that there was an ISU dance official ( I want to say Lawrence Demmy but not 100% certain) lived in the area and used to give feedback to the dancers on their programmes, the rink would then organise shows whilst they were there. I can remember it being very odd watching them perform on such a small rink. My then boyfriend used to be invited to skate in the shows too so we did get to spend a lot of time all the skaters together at the hotel etc

Around that time as well they did a few second tier type shows I remember meeting Kurt Browning and Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall at a show in Swindon and also an international Skate Electric event at Bracknell(?) which included a young Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo. You talk about Chery Peake and Andrew Naylor and I was in Canada with them when they trained with Mr Leitch and we hired a car together to go to see Niagara falls with a young american pair whose names escape me. When we first arrived in Canada there was no house for us so we first shared with Doug Ladret and then moved in with Cynthia Coull for the rest of our stay. Seems very weird looking back on it now, lots of great memories but seems like a different world!
    No it was Hull Ice Arena actually. I have heard about those Grimsby shows although I never saw them. I remember the Skate Electric event at Bracknell - I want to say it was a team event from memory but I coudn't be sure. It was televised in the fall of 1988 but I've long since recorded over my tapes Still I do remember Yamaguchi & Galindo with their amazing sbs triples very vividly. Weren't Shishkova/Naumov also there?

vCash
    Johnny Weir after the holiday show at the Ice Vault in 2007, I was so nervous meeting him even though others who had met him kept telling me how nice he was to his fans. Anyway, I got his autograph and Johnny told me to be careful that sharpies smudge on magazine covers so I shouldn't let anything touch the cover until it dried. Then we posed for a photo but when I checked the photo (thank goodness for digital cameras), I noticed that my son had cut my and Johnny's heads off in the picture. I was standing to the side in the lobby and I guess Johnny must had seen my facial expression because he called over to me "it didn't come out?" I said no and he immediately came over so we could have the photo retaken. I was so impressed by that. I was lucky enough to meet Johnny several times after that at other Ice Vault and Floyd Hall shows and he always remembered me which I thought was amazing considering the number of fans he meets at each show.

vCash
    I met Peter Tchernyshev at the supermarket. He was with his mother who was visiting from Russia. Very friendly, extremely beautiful (like artwork), and I think happy to be recognized in front of his mother.

I had the opportunity to meet Sasha Cohen when she was training in Hackensack, NJ. She was so sweet. My daughter who loves her was not with me so Sasha ran into the skating office and found a picture to autograph for her.

I also rode a shuttle bus from airport to hotel with Johnny Weir for 2011 Nationals. Very well dressed, nice luggage, and talkative. He and my friend's teenage daughter got into a nice discussion about his campaign with MAC cosmetics.

vCash
    I also met Cheltzie Lee tonight. Very quiet, but polite.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast