Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    KWEEN! Her 22nd birthday. (((sigh)))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    KWEEN! Her 22nd birthday. (((sigh)))
    And then you joined FSU. It was a good day.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Barbara Underhill who was quite a bitch. It was at 1996 Canadians and a few people went up to her to ask her for an autograph and her reply was 'No. If I sign one for you I'll have to sign one for everyone," and she turned away.

About half an hour later I met Viktor Kraatz who was absolutely adorable (and made up for Barbara. To this day I still don't like her). And I was also in an elevator with Josee Chouinard shortly after she lost the title to Jennifer Robinson. She was very nice, but trying so hard to hold back the tears.
    Ugh, I can't stand it when skaters or former skaters are nasty to their fans. I guess they forget all the cheers once they retire. It almost makes me glad she never won an Olympic Pairs medal. I say almost only because Paul Martini didn't win one either.

I am so relieved to know that Viktor Kraatz was nice to you (and especially that he was adorable!) as he is one half of my all-time favorite, and imo the greatest, Canadian Ice Dance team ever!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Drobiaska and Vanagas because they participated in the SkateFAIR protest at Worlds in DC. They were both lovely and she was drop-dead gorgeous. I had a long political conversation with Peter Carruthers that day as well and was impressed with his insight into the scandal and aftermath. He is no dummy, whether you like him as a commentator or not.

Purely as a fan, my aughter and I met Shae-Lynn Bourne at the same Worlds. She was incredibly nice and also gorgeous. (So there you go, both halves of that dance team were nice.)

and that was also when I got to say four words to Yagudin who was there but not skating. I'm surprised I just didn't pass out being that close to my all-time-favorite.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Drobiaska and Vanagas because they participated in the SkateFAIR protest at Worlds in DC. They were both lovely and she was drop-dead gorgeous. I had a long political conversation with Peter Carruthers that day as well and was impressed with his insight into the scandal and aftermath. He is no dummy, whether you like him as a commentator or not.

Purely as a fan, my aughter and I met Shae-Lynn Bourne at the same Worlds. She was incredibly nice and also gorgeous. (So there you go, both halves of that dance team were nice.)

and that was also when I got to say four words to Yagudin who was there but not skating. I'm surprised I just didn't pass out being that close to my all-time-favorite.
    As I said to screech, in part, I am happy to know that Shae-Lynn Bourne was incredibly nice as she is one half of my all-time favorite and imo greatest Canadian Ice Dance team ever! Screech met Viktor, you met Shae-Lynn. Maybe one day I'll meet both at the same time!

vCash
    I chatted a lot with Dan Hollander back in the day when AOL was around. I knew I wasn't bothering him because he'd message me just as much as I'd message him. I'm always conscious of things like that.

I've had millions of chances to interact with skaters in and out of skating enviros but I choose not to. I know they don't usually mind but I genuinely hate bothering them. Plus I genuinely can't think of anything to say other than some form of "love your work". I'm just not chatty unless I know someone (I would ask my personal friends who know me and post here to NOT weigh in on that subject thankyouverymuch!).

So, I pretty much refuse to approach skaters, but if I'm in close quarters and it's almost awkward to not say something I usually give one line of niceties and then disengage. *shrug*

vCash
    Paul Wylie at a summer show following the 1992 season, and as I recall it he was nice to me and my friend. And we were teenagers, so we must have been quite annoying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    And then you joined FSU. It was a good day.
    The best! That day I met so many others...and the rest is history.

vCash
    Evgeni Plushenko. He was super nice and spent about twenty minutes with my friends and me once he found out we'd all flown from the US to see him skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    As I said to screech, in part, I am happy to know that Shae-Lynn Bourne was incredibly nice as she is one half of my all-time favorite and imo greatest Canadian Ice Dance team ever! Screech met Viktor, you met Shae-Lynn. Maybe one day I'll meet both at the same time!
    I've since met Shae - 2005 Canadians. IIRC she was recently engaged to Nikolai and I was disappointed she was wearing gloves, because I wanted to check out the rock.

Actually, thinking back, I met skaters before Bitchy Barbara. I met Kurt Browning at the 1990 Canadians and he was so charming. He joked around with me and my grandmother after he won the title (and was being called over to take pictures). He said he'd be right back, and came back as soon as he finished with the press. And he gave me a big kiss on the cheek.

Over the years I've met many skaters and have had mostly great encounters. Alexei was lovely. Marie France Dubreuil is absolutely stunning and lovely in person. Jeff Buttle - adorable! Jennifer Robinson, so sweet. Steven Cousins, very charming.

Elvis Stojko - my experience was not so lovely. I was skating in Barrie one summer (Mariposa) and aside from him extremely loudly cursing (in front of small fans) when he fell on jumps in practice, I walked past him once and smiled (as a nervous 12 year old fan). He glared at me then rolled his eyes as he walked past.

I'm not a fan of Jamie Sale at all, but the one time I met her, she was really sweet. I was working backstage at an ice show, and another girl and I walked past the change rooms - the doors were wide open. We did a double take at David Pelletier and then we heard behind us 'Not bad, right?' And it was Jamie. IIRC, also skating at the show were Josee Chouinard and I'm thinking Surya was there too. We all stood around backstage just laughing and joking until they were called out to skate.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Oksana Baiul

vCash
    In 1997 at my first worlds in Lausanne, Switzerland--
    Todd Eldridge
    Tara Lipinski
    Nicole Bobek--a day before Carlos died

vCash
    Gwendal Peizarat after the 1998 COI. Very nice and dreamy

vCash
    Philippe Candeloro, Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat at a summer camp in 1995.

Vacant
    vCash
    I met T&D and Robin Cousins very briefly in the 1980's but it was 1991 before I got the chance to meet a lot of skaters in one go. Bizarrely there seemed to have been a second tier post Worlds tour that, even more bizarrely came to a small rink with a capacity of about 73 in East Yorkshire where I grew up. To this day I have no idea how this event ever took place but along with Steven Cousins and Joanne Conway who were the top Brits at the time, topping the bill were Klimova & Ponomarenko, Bonaly, Daniel Weiss (who was a very popular skater at the time) and Usova & Zhulin!!. Surya didn't perform that night as she was sick but the rest did. Our seats were right by the gate to the ice and the brochures had a box by each biog to get an autograph so I met them all. I remember Marina looking at me mysteriously and nodding graciously as she signed my program. She seemed like royalty to me and it was that moment where I switched my allegiance to K&P from the Duchesnays.

Wierdly the thing I remember most is Conway finally squeaking out a double axel in her second number right by us (after numerous single axels in her previous number where she was obviously trying for a double) and my Mother, who is normally very laid back and patient, just rolling her eyes and exclaiming 'At last!' right in front of her! I'm sure she heard it

vCash
    I met a few of the Dodds boys today (and keep mixing them up). Very nice, polite young men. And characters. Matt's music played up so he hammed to the judges and tech panel. No fair! We're not supposed to express emotion!

vCash
    I've since met Shae - 2005 Canadians. IIRC she was recently engaged to Nikolai and I was disappointed she was wearing gloves, because I wanted to check out the rock.

Actually, thinking back, I met skaters before Bitchy Barbara. I met Kurt Browning at the 1990 Canadians and he was so charming. He joked around with me and my grandmother after he won the title (and was being called over to take pictures). He said he'd be right back, and came back as soon as he finished with the press. And he gave me a big kiss on the cheek.

Over the years I've met many skaters and have had mostly great encounters. Alexei was lovely. Marie France Dubreuil is absolutely stunning and lovely in person. Jeff Buttle - adorable! Jennifer Robinson, so sweet. Steven Cousins, very charming.

Elvis Stojko - my experience was not so lovely. I was skating in Barrie one summer (Mariposa) and aside from him extremely loudly cursing (in front of small fans) when he fell on jumps in practice, I walked past him once and smiled (as a nervous 12 year old fan). He glared at me then rolled his eyes as he walked past.

I'm not a fan of Jamie Sale at all, but the one time I met her, she was really sweet. I was working backstage at an ice show, and another girl and I walked past the change rooms - the doors were wide open. We did a double take at David Pelletier and then we heard behind us 'Not bad, right?' And it was Jamie. IIRC, also skating at the show were Josee Chouinard and I'm thinking Surya was there too. We all stood around backstage just laughing and joking until they were called out to skate.
    I'm relieved to know Kurt and Alexei were nice as I'm a big fan of theirs too!

I never liked Stojko and this confirms why. Sounds like he's an incredible jerk.

vCash
    The first skater I ever met was Kurt Browning, signing autographs at Eaton's after Lillehammer. Met him several times since then and he's always charming and always has time for the fans. Met him again last month in Vancouver for Stars on Ice, a brief conversation totally made my day.

Barbara Underhill who was quite a bitch. It was at 1996 Canadians and a few people went up to her to ask her for an autograph and her reply was 'No. If I sign one for you I'll have to sign one for everyone," and she turned away.

About half an hour later I met Viktor Kraatz who was absolutely adorable (and made up for Barbara. To this day I still don't like her). And I was also in an elevator with Josee Chouinard shortly after she lost the title to Jennifer Robinson. She was very nice, but trying so hard to hold back the tears.
    I totally agree with you about Barb Underhill, when I attended my first Skate Canada in Kamloops in 1998 she was commentating for CTV. She would blast through crowds of fans totally ignoring them. If she did get caught for an autograph she signed rather begrudgingly. Paul Martini, on the other hand, who was slightly more pleasant, would sign for fans if he had to. And if you asked he'd sign her name too!

Victor Kraatz is so nice! As is Josee Chouinard. I've never been a big fan of Jennifer Robinson's, but I've never seen her be anything less than super pleasant and accommodating to her fans either.

vCash
    Shae-Lynn Bourne & Viktor Kraatz
    Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat
    Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder
    Kati Winkler & René Lohse
    Stephane Lambiel

All of them were super nice especially Winkler, Lohse, Schoenfelder and Kraatz.

vCash
    I got a tweet from Ashley Wagner once but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count, haha. I live in the Detroit suburbs, so I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to meet Meryl and Charlie, the Shibutanis, Alissa Czisny, or Jeremy Abbott!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast