Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

First Well Known Skater You Met In Person

Who was the first well known skater you met in person? Mine would have to be Jamie Sale. It would have been the fall after Salt Lake City. I was working as a cosmetician and she came in looking for something (I think she said gifts for the other skaters on tour) and I said to my co-workers "do you realize who that is?" I walked right up to her, introduced myself, gave her a hand and told her how much a fan I was. She was very sweet actually. Ironically, that seems to be how I meet most people. I'm far from shy.

vCash
    I dont remember the first. I know too many.

vCash
    Brian Boitano, April 1988, Rockefeller Center Skating Rink, NYC (indoor area)-He'd skated a brief exhibition earlier that day. A couple of young ladies and I had met while waiting outside in the cold and misty rain for the exhibition to start (we were there for hours to get a good spot on the railing). After he'd finished skating and changed, there was a reception for him. We waited outside the reception area and were able to briefly meet him and get autographs; met Linda Leaver too.

In later years (early 90s, in San Francisco) I briefly met Brian Orser, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo.

Although once I did see Paul Wylie rollerblading through Harvard Square!

EDIT: Have been remembering more about Brian Boitano Day...I found out about his appearance on local TV that morning. I called in "sick" at work, and caught the train into the city from Queens. It was chilly, overcast and misting rain all day; we were afraid they might cancel his appearance...which, after waiting for HOURS by the rink, we did NOT want to contemplate! From time to time we went into Rock Center to warm up a little and use the bathroom, but we didn't want to lose our places on the rail, so the building visits were brief.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-08-2013 at 06:17 AM.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Evegeny Plushenko. He didn't say much but it was the way he said it that continues to amuse me :-)

vCash
    Anton Sikharulidze. He accepted the roses from me after a show and was very nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Anton Sikharulidze. He accepted the roses from me after a show and was very nice.
    And he was so good-looking!

vCash
    Liz Manley. Can remember it because my 'autofocus' camera misfocused

vCash
    I haven't actually met any but I shook Shae-Lynn Bourne's hand when I was in the front row of a Stars On Ice show a few years ago. I also stood a few feet from Elizabeth Manley for a good while at last year's Ottawa Stars on Ice show, but I was too shy to go up and say hello. Same with when I was standing a few feet away from Bryce Davison at Skate Canada 2008.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Charlie Tickner at Adult Nationals in Kansas City. OK, he wasn't the first well known skater I met, but the others were current skaters at local rinks and weren't really any big deal to me because I was way older then them . Not as big of a deal as meeting a childhood favorite. I heard through the grapevine that he really appreciated my freestyle at the last AN I attended. Oh, and at a different AN I found out that Richard Dalley was a judge for one of my events and met him too. That was a great experience - another skater I looked up to way back then.

vCash
    Matt Savoie

vCash
    Is it possible to meet Yuna Kim?

Oh yes, I met her once before, about 5 years ago at her fansign event You know, in real life, she really has a baby angel face, overly good looking. When she smiled in front of me, my heart stopped for a while, I almost fainted She just said "hello" and "thank you" to me (repeat with all fans ) but that absolutely wonderful moment
    Last edited by HVS; 06-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan on the boardwalk in Atlantic City - July 1997, following the "Skating Romance 2" show. I wished her well for the upcoming Olympic season. I thought I recognized Yuka Sato rolling her suitcase on the boardwalk, but was too shy to go up to her & ask if it was her (many years later, I got to ask her about it - it probably was her). About an hour after meeting Michelle, we met Brian Boitano! We just missed the chance to talk to Brian Orser as he had left a few minutes earlier.

In March 2002 - Kristi & Todd did a promotional visit for SOI @ Skatezone Rink in Voorhees, NJ (where the Flyers train), a few days before the Philly show. I took the day off from school as a "sick" day. Wasn't going to miss that opportunity!

vCash
    Igor Spilband.
    This autumn we were living at the same hotel and met at the reception. Me and my friend were in a hurry and at first didn't recognize the back of a man who was standing ahead of us. We only knew that because of him we could be late. When he turned the first time and said: "Sorry" we were in shock.)) When he said "sorry" the second time I recovered and started telling how much I admire him as a coach and as a person, etc.etc. He looked pleasantly surprised, it was really funny - when I mentioned Chock-Bates and their dances his eyes were something like .

vCash
    David Wilson. I ran into him when I was staying at my friend's in Toronto. He was just as delightfully funky as ever and so nice!

vCash
    I met Randy Gardner and Scott Hamilton backstage at their "Broadway On Ice" show in Miami (or was it Miami Beach?). It was years ago. I was visiting my relatives in Miami and happened to see the advertisement for the show in the papers so I thought I'd go-especially because Randy Gardner was going to skate too. My uncle dropped me off and I remember there was some kind of picket line in front of the hotel. I really was only interested in meeting Randy but the father of one of the other fans, a girl I had been chatting with, pointed towards me and said to Scott 'she's been waiting all night for this' implying I was waiting on Scott-which I wasn't. I was waiting for Randy. I was polite about it though and didn't correct him. Scott was (is!) very tiny! I was particularly struck with how narrow his shoulders are. Still, it was cool to meet an Olympic Champion. Along with the other fans I asked him for his autograph (I felt I had to after the comment made by that girl's father). Finally, Randy stepped out of his dressing room-I thought he was so handsome with his white costume, dark hair and pale skin! And he was very sweet to me when I asked him (most sincerely this time) for his autograph.

vCash
    Zhenya Plushenko.

vCash
    Barbara Underhill who was quite a bitch. It was at 1996 Canadians and a few people went up to her to ask her for an autograph and her reply was 'No. If I sign one for you I'll have to sign one for everyone," and she turned away.

About half an hour later I met Viktor Kraatz who was absolutely adorable (and made up for Barbara. To this day I still don't like her). And I was also in an elevator with Josee Chouinard shortly after she lost the title to Jennifer Robinson. She was very nice, but trying so hard to hold back the tears.

vCash
    Brian Boitano, ca. 1998. My husband and I met him at Julie Ring's Heart & Soul in SF, where Anita O'Day was doing a show. He was nice but didn't make much of an impression, I'm afraid - I was much more excited about Anita autographing her autobio for me.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I got to meet a bunch of skaters at TEB but the first was Elizaveta Tuktamisheva. Also met Brian Joubert there.

vCash
    Miki Ando. Except I didn't go up to her or said anything lol. Everyone else was just staring too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast