Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 130
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    motown
    Posts
    59
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Adam Rippon on The Skating Lesson

    Every time I watch the Skating Lesson with Jenny and Dave I am more surprised on how informational it is and what a quality interview they do.
    The most recent interview was with Adam Rippon and I loved it.
    It is a long one, over an hour and change but it was a delight to watch especially hearing all the nice things about Detroit

    Here it is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAflwj7BAQ

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44
    This was such a great interview. He has such a stronger personality than I'd thought! It was invigorating to hear his determination to succeed this season. I hope he can accomplish his goals; if not this season, then the next.

  3. #3
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Loved the interview. Jenny and Dave do a terrific job..and, of course, I love Adam.

  4. #4
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,036
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    43699
    He is absolutely delightful and quite well-spoken. Best of luck to him this season.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    I think i might love Adam a little bit after that interview!

    "you know what, this is gross, but it works" about Evgeni Pluschenko standing at centre ice and skaking his hips

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    For the most part, a really good interview piece. I love that Adam answered everything. Jenny and Dave are doing a good job putting these interviews together. I'm impressed at how eloquent these skaters are in theset interviews.


    A few gripes about TSL (hopefully they're constructive ):

    1. Dave, and sometimes Jenny, needs to refrain from making catty criticisms directed at another skater in these interviews. The shot Dave took at Sarah Hughes was unnecessary and put him AND TSL in a bad light; Do that in your own time with your friends but not during these interviews when he's representing TSL. TSL looks like it's a forum that is becoming popular and is watched by not just skating fans but also by people in the skating circles, ie skaters, coaches ...Do they reallly want to possibly alienate some people in the industry and hurt their chances for nabbing future interviews? I for one would love them to interview SH but after this I'm not sure she would if they ask.

    2. Does TSL seem 'obsess" with Yuna Kim? I though TSL wasted a large a chunk of NNN's interview asking about Yuna Kim, and I felt they almost did the same during Adam's interview. Enough already.

    ...

    On a superificial note: I find Dave's necklace very distracting. I kept staring at it during the NNN's interview, and I did the same during Adam's. LOL.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I think i might love Adam a little bit after that interview!

    "you know what, this is gross, but it works" about Evgeni Pluschenko standing at centre ice and skaking his hips
    exactly: "Evgeni is the only one who can shake his hips in the middle of the ice and you say "This is gross but it works"" he loves Plushy's skating

    and:

    "When I started training the 3axel when I was 17 everybody was "Plushenko was landing them at 15" Oh great start, I'm already 2 years late"


    But he was wrong, Plushy landed 3A at 13, he was landed 4t-3t at 15

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    I don't get the whole thinking that hip movements can't be a part of a program and/ or is gross? Every program needs to be the same Lori nichol stuff?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I don't get the whole thinking that hip movements can't be a part of a program and/ or is gross? Every program needs to be the same Lori nichol stuff?
    You don't understand what is gross about a man standing at centre ice and doing the pelvic thrust? This goes for Plush, Joubert and anyone else i'm thankfully blanking on that does/has done this in the past.

    And since when does not air humping = only Lori Nichol choreography? Most choreographers (dear I say nearly all?)tend to steer clear of dry humping as a choreographic move, thank god.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    You don't understand what is gross about a man standing at centre ice and doing the pelvic thrust?
    It's depend on who does it, how it's done, and in what context is it being done. I thought Viktor Petrenko was always very embarrassing when he did it in his exhibition programs. On the other hand, if one skates to Tom Jones' "What's New Pussycat" then some pelvic thrusts are definitely called for.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    You don't understand what is gross about a man standing at centre ice and doing the pelvic thrust? This goes for Plush, Joubert and anyone else i'm thankfully blanking on that does/has done this in the past.

    And since when does not air humping = only Lori Nichol choreography? Most choreographers (dear I say nearly all?)tend to steer clear of dry humping as a choreographic move, thank god.
    No I don't! If it fits a program and works than so what? What's the problem? Calling it air humping is just wrong and meant to just bash Without going into real detail and being prejudicial. It is hip movement and can work really well!

    There's also lots of good stuff in this interview like talk about doing the rippon lutz! why didn't he get unique bonus? How does one ever get that if he can't?

  12. #12
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,036
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    43699
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    There's also lots of good stuff in this interview like talk about doing the rippon lutz! why didn't he get unique bonus? How does one ever get that if he can't?
    That's an interesting question. Has anyone ever gotten a bonus for originality?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    That's an interesting question. Has anyone ever gotten a bonus for originality?
    Good question. As far as I remember, one is lucky not to get penalized for originality, let alone reward, because the rules have not been written to explicitly reward an innovation the first time around (otherwise it's not an innovation), and judges often don't seem to know what to do with something they have never seen before. At the very least, an odd judge here and there giving originality a bonus will not make up for the "unfamiliarity deductions" or plain indifference from most others.

    I wonder if this is similar to the phenomenon that originality in arts takes time to be tolerated and morph from "grotesque" to "beautiful" in people's mind. Rite of Spring caused a riot at its debut but is now a beloved piece of music. Same for Picasso, modern dance, and nearly all movements in modern art. Most originals must suffer indifference, bewilderment, and hostility from others, before time can sort out the good ones from the bad and ease people's fear and discomfort with the new and unknown.

    OTOH, the Rippon Lutz has been around for quite a while. The rules are rewritten fast enough when people complain about quads not getting enough reward, but tend to draft their feet about rewarding something clearly more difficult than a flat choctaw before jump entry or a loop after landing.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 07-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    In ISU competition, I don't think anyone has received a bonus for original element, and I don't think it even exists anymore. I couldn't find reference to it here in a very quick search:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf
    http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14...2007-01-13.pdf

    Can anyone confirm if/when it was taken out and if there was any notification of that fact?

    Some countries have in the past had bonuses for completing certain difficult jumps. Russia did and Canada did at one point at the Novice level at least I think.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I myself enjoy the "catty comments" on TSL, even if I don't agree many of them. It's a podcast, not official press releases of USFSA or broadcast TV commentary.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    335
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    For the most part, a really good interview piece. I love that Adam answered everything. Jenny and Dave are doing a good job putting these interviews together. I'm impressed at how eloquent these skaters are in theset interviews.


    A few gripes about TSL (hopefully they're constructive ):

    1. Dave, and sometimes Jenny, needs to refrain from making catty criticisms directed at another skater in these interviews. The shot Dave took at Sarah Hughes was unnecessary and put him AND TSL in a bad light; Do that in your own time with your friends but not during these interviews when he's representing TSL. TSL looks like it's a forum that is becoming popular and is watched by not just skating fans but also by people in the skating circles, ie skaters, coaches ...Do they reallly want to possibly alienate some people in the industry and hurt their chances for nabbing future interviews? I for one would love them to interview SH but after this I'm not sure she would if they ask.

    2. Does TSL seem 'obsess" with Yuna Kim? I though TSL wasted a large a chunk of NNN's interview asking about Yuna Kim, and I felt they almost did the same during Adam's interview. Enough already.

    ...

    On a superificial note: I find Dave's necklace very distracting. I kept staring at it during the NNN's interview, and I did the same during Adam's. LOL.
    It's not like they are asking every single person they interview about her. Rippon trained with Kim for a while and was Kim's only peer/training partner in Toronto that was at an elite level. It's relevant with NNN because she was around Kim the one year she trained at EWIP. And it's also interesting because NNN was basically Kim's predecessor in a way with all the endorsements and ice shows in Korea. Of course NNN was nowhere near Kim's status now, but I wonder if she would have been a mega-superstar like her in Korea if she became a World/Olympic champion.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,449
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    For the most part, a really good interview piece. I love that Adam answered everything. Jenny and Dave are doing a good job putting these interviews together. I'm impressed at how eloquent these skaters are in theset interviews.


    A few gripes about TSL (hopefully they're constructive ):

    1. Dave, and sometimes Jenny, needs to refrain from making catty criticisms directed at another skater in these interviews. The shot Dave took at Sarah Hughes was unnecessary and put him AND TSL in a bad light; Do that in your own time with your friends but not during these interviews when he's representing TSL.
    I wonder though if they are going for a specific dynamic though. Jenny comes off as very professional and serious about the show, while Dave may work very very hard but he comes off as first and foremost an excited, wide-eyed Kwan fan who still can't believe he is interviewing some of these skaters. Sometimes shows play up certain aspects of one's personality for entertainment purposes and I wonder if that's what they're going for. He's playing the part of obsessed Kwan fan who makes catty comments, while Jenny is the serious partner. Just a theory.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Great interview with Adam. I really love his skating. Hoping that he has a great Olympic season.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Team Mao!
    Posts
    680
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I myself enjoy the "catty comments" on TSL, even if I don't agree many of them. It's a podcast, not official press releases of USFSA or broadcast TV commentary.
    I completely agree. Dave's snark is legendary and that's one of the things I love most about him.

    I am over them asking everyone about Yu Na Kim. That is my bias though because I think she's overrated.

    And poor Adam. He is a long shot at best to make the Olympic team.
    Last edited by Sasha is DIVINE; 07-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Here's the clip of the debut of the Rippon 3Lutz at TEB in October 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyhUMUEcaU
    You'd never know it was the first time from his detailed protocol : http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SP_Scores.pdf

    From Rippon's official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/news.html
    "Adam wrote an article for the Athlete Advisory Committee's 'Athlete Corner' about his 2013 Gardena Spring Trophy experience with Team USA that was published in the May issue of SKATING magazine (p. 43). A scan of the article can be viewed here courtesy of U.S. Figure Skating." Link: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/a.../13Gardena.pdf
    IMO, it's a very well-written, thoughtful piece.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •