Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Not summer :(
    vCash

22 Maps That Show the Deepest Linguistic Conflicts in America

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-ma...merica-2013-6#

Looks like there might be some other cool maps at the end of this series -- off to check them out!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 06-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Mr. Fridge Break and I were going through these yesterday (Southern Illinois vs. Michigan) and there were several conflicts... crayfish/crawfish, slaw/coleslaw... he smashed his head into the pillows when I called it a "drinking fountain"

vCash
    Fascinating

vCash
    this is a topic of conversation in my family all the time.My Mom recently had been working with a lot of Northerners apparently,she called a soda a "pop". I stopped her and said "What did you just say??Mother!Did you just call a soda a pop?!"...an hour North of here it's called "soda",here every soft drink is called a "coke"whether it's actually a coke or not. There are a lot of other linguistic differences,sometimes geographically not that far apart.

vCash
    This is fascinating. Thank you!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    this is a topic of conversation in my family all the time.My Mom recently had been working with a lot of Northerners apparently,she called a soda a "pop". I stopped her and said "What did you just say??Mother!Did you just call a soda a pop?!"...an hour North of here it's called "soda",here every soft drink is called a "coke"whether it's actually a coke or not. There are a lot of other linguistic differences,sometimes geographically not that far apart.

It was always "pop" my whole life until we moved to Connecticut when I was in 11th grade. Then it was "soda". To me, a soda was a drink with ice cream and "pop" in it. What's funny is I only lived there 2 years and we moved back to the same city I lived in my whole life after I graduated high school, yet to this day I still call it soda instead of pop.

Another new one on me when moving to Connecticut was that thing that women carry is called a purse. In CT they called a purse a pocketbook. To me, a pocketbook was your wallet, not your purse.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 06-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    I live in SW Ontario. My family is in Michigan, Iowa, and California. Whenever we have a family reunion, (not often enough,), this is a topic of conversation that always comes up. My California family speaks closer to me; it's those Iowa and Michigan folks that say everything different!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I wonder if he did soda/pop/soft drink or submarine/hero/gyro/grinder/hoagie.

The only one that comes out different from the map for me is Caramel. I say Carmel even though I am an East Coaster. I got it from my mother, who is Scottish.
    I am from Maryland so we definitely say Boo-wie knife because of Bowie, Md. In fact, most of my friends called David Bowie "David Boo-wie" in the early 70s until we learned that is was Bow-ie.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I so disappointed I don't have access to a brew-thru.

that is all.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    No brew thrus here either. I am just happy that the county I live in on the weekend has Sunday liquor sales. The county I live in during the week does not.

vCash
    I'm more than a little surprised at this map -- I didn't realize that it was only in such a small region of the U.S. that Mary, merry, and marry were pronounced differently. Completely flummoxed that some pronounce merry the same as Mary and/or marry!
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Beach Bum
    vCash
    For me, merry is different. Mary and Marry sound the same. But I know a lot of people from Long Island and New Jersey who say marry differently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I wonder if he did soda/pop/soft drink or submarine/hero/gyro/grinder/hoagie.

Those are both among the 22 maps, though the sandwich one was phrased slightly differently.

I question the validity of some of his findings. He puts me in "crawfish" country, for example, but I have never heard anyone around here call it anything other than a "crayfish."

vCash
    I just moved down to Miami full time.

Went to Subway for lunch today and no one seemed to understand me when I said "hoagie". Now I understand why.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I didn't see it, but when I clicked sometimes I jumped a few maps ahead so I must have missed them.

Just saw the sandwich one. I did think that Submarine was most common, but I thought Hoagie was not just SE Pennsylvania, but also central/south NJ. And I thought Hero was common in NYC and Western PA. And Grinder was common in Massachusetts, RI, and other parts of New England. And Poor Boy in Louisiana or at least New Orleans.
    Last edited by Rob; 06-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    For me, merry is different. Mary and Marry sound the same. But I know a lot of people from Long Island and New Jersey who say marry differently.
    I pronounce "marry" with a much flatter "a" than "Mary", which I pronounce pretty close to "Mare-ee".
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I am totally appalled that "youse" did not make the list for how to address multiple people

But I've been wondering for years why no one eats hoagies anymore (haven't lived in SE Pennsylvania for a very long time)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Ever since seeing this, I've been trying to figure out the difference between ahn and awn (both sound like on) Did them mean uhn? (Crayon)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I so disappointed I don't have access to a brew-thru.

that is all.
    We just called them drive through liquor stores. When passengers could no longer drink in the car, they had to make special sealed cups and straws for their smoothies.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast