View Poll Results: Who will dominate Junior Ladies next season?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medvedeva

7 12.07%
  • Sakhanovich

33 56.90%
  • Sotskova

4 6.90%
  • Stavitskaia

1 1.72%
  • Gosviani

4 6.90%
  • Angela Wang

11 18.97%
  • Courtney Hicks

8 13.79%
  • Other US Lady

5 8.62%
  • Rika Hongo

1 1.72%
  • Hae jin Kim or So Young Park of South Korea

2 3.45%
  • Alaine Chartrand or Gabrielle Daleman

7 12.07%
  • Other?

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'd say a mix between Ando and Murakami.
    Not better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not better.
    Indeed !

vCash
    I'd say she's more Ando than Murakami. Kanako isn't the best skater out there but she's never bored me when she skated...I can't say the same thing about Miki. There's something about Kanako that I really love...there's a spark to her skating. I don't think Rika has that right now. Maybe she'll develop it in the future but for now she's very bland. Hopefully as she matures she'll gain a bit more personality and style to her skating.

Sadly it doesn't look like Japan has that many great up and comers right now. The majority of the strength seems to be coming from Russia and the US and a few from Canada. Japan's prospects aren't looking half as good as either of those countries right now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'd say she's more Ando than Murakami. Kanako isn't the best skater out there but she's never bored me when she skated...I can't say the same thing about Miki. There's something about Kanako that I really love...there's a spark to her skating. I don't think Rika has that right now. Maybe she'll develop it in the future but for now she's very bland. Hopefully as she matures she'll gain a bit more personality and style to her skating.

Sadly it doesn't look like Japan has that many great up and comers right now. The majority of the strength seems to be coming from Russia and the US and a few from Canada. Japan's prospects aren't looking half as good as either of those countries right now...
    I respect that Murakami puts an effort into presenting her programs. She isn't as naturally graceful as Asada or musical as Suzuki, but she is good to very good at about everything (sans lutz). And it seems like she is done growing so her jumps are unlikely to become worse. Would be a shame if she didn't continue - especially since she is on an upward trajectory with her Worlds placement and is pretty much going to be the undoubted top Japanese lady once Asada and Suzuki retire.

As much as I have enjoyed the skating of the podium skaters at the last Worlds, I am really looking forward to the next batch taking charge. Sotnikova, Gold, Li, Osmond are really to move up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I respect that Murakami puts an effort into presenting her programs. She isn't as naturally graceful as Asada or musical as Suzuki, but she is good to very good at about everything (sans lutz). And it seems like she is done growing so her jumps are unlikely to become worse. Would be a shame if she didn't continue - especially since she is on an upward trajectory with her Worlds placement and is pretty much going to be the undoubted top Japanese lady once Asada and Suzuki retire.

As much as I have enjoyed the skating of the podium skaters at the last Worlds, I am really looking forward to the next batch taking charge. Sotnikova, Gold, Li, Osmond are really to move up.
    ITA Marco.

Kanako is definitely a favorite of mine. I think people underestimate her a lot...like worlds this year. Who honestly thought Kanako could place well with Wagner, Gold, Osmond, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova in the line up? Some people thought she was a long shot for the top 10...and yet she places 4th with two very strong performances. I was so proud of her!

She's such a beautiful girl and I really love personality. I've enjoyed watching her since her days on the JGP and it's been so wonderful to watch her grow and mature over the years. I really hope she continues to compete at least for a year or two after Sochi. She'd definitely be the clear #1 for Japan.

ITA about this new wave of skaters too. It's been great to have these post Torino and post Vancouver holdovers but I am really ready to see the new wave of ladies take over. The 2014-2015 season is going to be really interesting! I'm excited to see which skaters are going to take advantage of the vacancies at the top. I'm ready for some new rivalries and new fan wars! It's going to be great

vCash
    As for the new wave in Japan, Marin Honda has a great potential. She is at the age of 12 now. Here is her FS at the challenge Cup 2012.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e4x7tcwP0s

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Marin Honda (Novice B champion this past season) is still too young for the JGP this fall, correct? Will she be old enough in 2014-15?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Marin Honda (Novice B champion this past season) is still too young for the JGP this fall, correct? Will she be old enough in 2014-15?
    No. She needs to wait two more years.

Reportedly she upped her jump contents again. At a local competiton in last month, she skated basically clean with -- 3Lz-3Lo 2A-3T-2Lo 3F-2T 3Lz 3Lo 3S -- scoring 97+ points.

Kanako Muarakami was underestimated by many, including me. In the world of figure skating, anyone recognized as Japanese #1 could expect some preferential treatments. Murakami will be in such position after Sochi, competing for world medals with Russians without much surprise. Her relatively low risk contents might give her some edge in consistency.
    Last edited by NMURA; 06-14-2013 at 08:00 AM.

vCash
    The interesting thing about Murakami is that many of us (and probably her too) just couldn't know "how" she had skated when she stepped off the ice. She was always sort of clean, but UR was always a big problem for her. And everyone would have to wait until her scores were announced to know if she skated well or not.

vCash
    The thing that really bothers me about Murakami's skating is how she bends forward really far on many of her takeoffs. Otherwise she's quite pleasant to watch, but I haven't been able to get past that yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    The thing that really bothers me about Murakami's skating is how she bends forward really far on many of her takeoffs. Otherwise she's quite pleasant to watch, but I haven't been able to get past that yet.
    Me neither. Her jumps are awful to watch and I prefer a good skater with no jump, instead of a skater with ugly jumps.

vCash
    ^^Kanako's jumps aren't textbook but I don't think they are ugly. The takeoff of her flip and lutz are a little mule-kicky but her landings are actually nice. I love that she often holds her edges which far too few skaters do nowadays. I can overlook odd technique if the jumps are landed (which hers are) and the rest of the rest of the skating is appealing.

Marin Honda...Awww! She's so cute!

I definitely see potential there, especially in her movement across the ice and the use of her arms throughout the program. That axel looks a little Lipnitskaya-ish (not good) but we'll have to see how she progresses. Hopefully as she grows she'll gain more power and a little more height to her jumps. I'll definitely keep an eye out for her in the next two years.

vCash
    Murakami is really a terrible jumper.

vCash
    Well, I know it is still very early in the JGP circuit but it is funny to read comments and see the poll prediction after some of the results already

vCash
    If Murakami could fix her jump technique she could be the one to beat after Sochi. That is a huge if though. If she doesnt she could find herself passed by by all of Gold, sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Osmond, and Li. Those people are only going to get better so she wont get away with dodgy jumps much longer. The rest of her skating is very strong, that is her only real weakness really, but there is nothing exceptional enough to compensate her jump issues either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12