View Poll Results: Who will dominate Junior Ladies next season?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medvedeva

7 12.07%
  • Sakhanovich

33 56.90%
  • Sotskova

4 6.90%
  • Stavitskaia

1 1.72%
  • Gosviani

4 6.90%
  • Angela Wang

11 18.97%
  • Courtney Hicks

8 13.79%
  • Other US Lady

5 8.62%
  • Rika Hongo

1 1.72%
  • Hae jin Kim or So Young Park of South Korea

2 3.45%
  • Alaine Chartrand or Gabrielle Daleman

7 12.07%
  • Other?

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Radionova

Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Radionova - All 3 of these girls won both their JGPs and JGPF and Junior worlds during there first junior international season!

Which Russian girl is next to dominate Junior Ladies!?

Medvedeva
    Sakhanovich
    Sotskova
    Li
    Ogoreltseva
    Pervushkina
    Proklova

Or will a Russian JGP Veteran get there chance to dominate?

Gosviani (If she doesn't get the CoR GP spot, she may want JGP)
    Gerasimova
    Stavitskaia
    Titushkina
    Agafonova
    Shershak

Also who do you think can pose the biggest threat to the Russian ladies having another clean sweep? Japan, Canada, US or Other!?

Angela Wang
    Courtney Hicks
    Polina Edmunds
    Barbie Long
    Hannah Miller
    Rika Hongo
    Alaine Chartrand
    Gabriel Daleman

I am excited to see how Tursynbayeva goes competing for KAZ!

However I am for Medvedeva, Hongo, Hicks and Wang

vCash
    You mean Pogorilaya, not Sotnikova right?

vCash
    I have no idea who those first 5 names are...I'm guessing they are debuting as juniors? I'll learn who they are soon enough. I've been closely following the JGP for the last two years and I'm actually looking forward to seeing the new talent this year.

My two favorite ladies in that group are Angela Wang and So-Youn Park.

Wang just needs to have a break out season. Her technique is lovely, all 5 correct edge triples and difficult combos (3lz-3t), decent spins, great flow around the ice and I love the fluidity in her movements. She's a strong skater who suffers from SP nerves but if she can get that under control and start delivering some solid SPs in addition to her very strong FSs she could easily be a gold medal threat every time.

Park is a gorgeous skater. Expressive movements, graceful arms, lovely posture and carriage...I really think she's the future of skating for Korea.

Rika Hongo has the most potential for Japan IMO. Satoko Miyahara is good but if she can't increase the size of her jumps she will not make it far as a senior. Rika's jumps are solid enough but she needs to work on other areas of her skating. My hope is Haruka Imai will have a breakthrough soon and become Japan's #1 after Mao and Kanako leave...

I really like Gabrielle Daleman. Nice presentation, she's fast and she has big jumps...sometimes too big. She has trouble controlling them and often over-rotates. If her team can rein her in a bit she'd give Kaetlyn a run for her money. She's not as electric as Kaetlyn in terms of performance but she's not weak either. I'm really interested to see where she will be in the next few years.

vCash
    Since the Final is in Japan, the JSF's favorite will be given judges' favors (like Murakami and Hanyu of four years ago, Radionova of last season). I think it will be Riona Kato, not Hongo. Kato has better skating skills, spins, base values, more difficult 3-3 combos, and most importantly, consistent 3 loop and better rotation.

vCash
    What I saw on video of Sakhanovich last year was very impressive. I'm also excited to see how Edmunds does in her JGP debut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    You mean Pogorilaya, not Sotnikova right?
    No, definitely Sotnikova

Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Radionova - All 3 of these girls won both their JGPs and JGPF and Junior worlds during there first junior international season!

vCash
    Can the streak continue? I voted Sakhanovich.

vCash
    no Karen Chen and Miller ?
    and aren't Daleman and Gosviani Seniors

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I have no idea who those first 5 names are...I'm guessing they are debuting as juniors? I'll learn who they are soon enough. I've been closely following the JGP for the last two years and I'm actually looking forward to seeing the new talent this year.
    I've posted videos of the first 3 Russian ladies listed in the poll in this thread: Skaters & Teams that could debut on the JGP in 2013 (includes videos)

Maria Stavitskaia has already competed in 3 JGPs and won bronze in Chemnitz, Germany last fall.

Nikol Gosviani (6th in her 2013 Europeans debut) could end up with the TBA at Rostelecom Cup in Moscow; Courtney Hicks may be competing as senior internationally this fall (it's not yet known about Gabrielle Daleman and Alaine Chartrand).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope it stops here. I can't watch those little russian strechy girls with no good basics anymore. Figure Skating is not Gymnastic on Ice. hehe, I'm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I hope it stops here. I can't watch those little russian strechy girls with no good basics anymore. Figure Skating is not Gymnastic on Ice. hehe, I'm
    I agree it is not, but the Russian ladies are pretty good. Medvedeva and Sakhanovich are star competitors if they want it.

vCash
    Seems like the Russian girls are unbeatable until they hit puberty and they can't rotate their tiny jumps anymore. It takes more then being able to bend yourself like a pretzel to be a complete skater.

vCash
    Sakhanovich and Edmunds. Maybe Wang and Miller as well, or Barbie Long if she can improve her PCS (technical ability is wow) and Mariah Bell if she can become more consistent with her jumps (great presentation). I too love Park but she's very inconsistent and often seems unfocused in competition - if this can be fixed though, I agree she can do very well as she's a gorgeous, well-rounded skater. Chartrand from Canada is also very promising, but she seems to be a skater that peaks late in the season. Gerasimova and Sotskova are also impressive Russians with 3lz-3t. Gerasimova did well last season even when she frequently bombed her FS programs, so if she can be more consistent she should score very high. Sotskova is young and tiny but she does have a lot of talent too. I'd be surprised if Gosviani does JGP, I think she will get the COR spot, I don't know who else would be in consideration for it besides Biryukova (really poor last season and deals with frequent stress fractures), Korobeynikova (not great last season and already has 1 GP), and Agafonova (no international assignments and did not qualify for Nationals last season, but was 2nd ahead of Nikol at the Russian Cup Final). So considering the competition I think Nikol will get it.

vCash
    polina edmunds! I like her very much...
    Last edited by karlon; 06-09-2013 at 02:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Seems like the Russian girls are unbeatable until they hit puberty and they can't rotate their tiny jumps anymore. It takes more then being able to bend yourself like a pretzel to be a complete skater.
    None of the current Russian girls who are struggling are really struggling because of rotation issues. If you are thinking of chronic ur issues that is not the problem. The issues are they are rotating and usually fully rotating almost all their jumps. I can give a list of junior skaters who get severe << but their names are known to all. << and << fall and even lots of < are not common! Yet if at all.

vCash
    Edmunds was barely rotating the lutz and flip, let alone the toe, in her 3/3s. But I do like her as a skater, here's hoping she would grow in the Kostner fashion instead of losing her jumps when she grows further (and wider).

Hicks' lazy foot bugs me to no end - which is a shame because she has some lovely spins (sans the Biellmann) and some good qualities to her skating.

I am yet to see the next batch of Japanese girls besides Miyahara whom I like as a skater but despise as a jumper. Any video of Hongo for reference please?

It is impossible to keep up with all the Russian girls because there are so many talented ones and also because they are all quite similar. Out of those ones I watched, Sakhanovich really caught my eye. Medvedeva was good too. I hope they don't just focus on jumps, but focus more on learning how to skate. I am very tired of watching them doing difficult but mediocre jumps and getting into all sorts of painful looking positions all the whilst not displaying any flow or deep edges or interpreting the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Edmunds was barely rotating the lutz and flip, let alone the toe, in her 3/3s. But I do like her as a skater, here's hoping she would grow in the Kostner fashion instead of losing her jumps when she grows further (and wider).

Hicks' lazy foot bugs me to no end - which is a shame because she has some lovely spins (sans the Biellmann) and some good qualities to her skating.

I am yet to see the next batch of Japanese girls besides Miyahara whom I like as a skater but despise as a jumper. Any video of Hongo for reference please?

It is impossible to keep up with all the Russian girls because there are so many talented ones and also because they are all quite similar. Out of those ones I watched, Sakhanovich really caught my eye. Medvedeva was good too. I hope they don't just focus on jumps, but focus more on learning how to skate. I am very tired of watching them doing difficult but mediocre jumps and getting into all sorts of painful looking positions all the whilst not displaying any flow or deep edges or interpreting the music.
    ITA w/ all of this.

And here is Rika Hongo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNz-kyfVAg

She needs a lot of work (posture (yikes!), musical interpretation, spins, etc.) but from a jumping basics standpoint I feel better about her than I do Miyahara.

vCash
    Hicks is like watching paint dry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    And here is Rika Hongo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNz-kyfVAg

She needs a lot of work (posture (yikes!), musical interpretation, spins, etc.) but from a jumping basics standpoint I feel better about her than I do Miyahara.
    Just another Ando.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just another Ando.
    I'd say a mix between Ando and Murakami.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast