Thread: Computer Help

vCash

Computer Help

Hi. Since Friday, my computer has turned itself off and back on each day except for Tuesday. Oh, Monday, it was just the monitor. Today it did it twice in 10 minutes.

Any ideas? I don't know anything about computer hardware and I don't know any teenagers. I can't afford to unhook and take the whole thing to a computer repair place either. What if it's not the computer?

I got ATT Uverse in December and, except for the t.v. turning itself off TOO MUCH, I haven't had any other problems. All of the stuff that goes with the whole bundling system is plugged in at the computer, so I don't know if it's just overloading it or what (after all this time?)

The monitor is from 1999!!!!! I didn't get a new one when I got the computer in 2008. The screen is kind of looking "fluttery" right now. Maybe it's my eyes from nerves. I'm trying to type this fast before I lose it. I'll check back later..............

Thanks.

vCash
    I can't offer much help as I'm not an expert. But, according to conventional wisdom, the first line of action when you have computer trouble is turn the computer off for a while, restart, and see what happens. As to the computer turning itself off, that happens to me sometimes when Windows does updates.

If the problems persist, you'll have to get someone to diagnose it or take it in to a shop for diagnosis. I have a husband who can do that - without him, I'd have to someone I paid on an ongoing basis to do computer maintenance.

However, I think you find that help fairly cheaply - or could put your own posting on Craig's List asking for the help you need and stating your budget per hour.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

Computer Help

Help desk technician here:

1) When the computer shuts down, is there any error messages/codes on the screen?

2) Similar to #1, any error messages/codes when the computer comes back up?

3) To the best of your knowledge, has anything been installed recently?

4) Is your anti-virus software up-to-date? When was the last time you scanned the entire hard drive?

5) There is usually a set of buttons somewhere on the monitor where you can check settings such as picture clarity. Too many monitor setups to say which button to push.

6) 1999 is quite an impressive record for a monitor!
    This space for rent.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

Computer Help

Staples EasyTech computer staff has always fixed the problems that I can't handle. BestBuy Geek Squad is another choice.

If all else fails, you may need to get another monitor.
    This space for rent.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleturn View Post
    Staples EasyTech computer staff has always fixed the problems that I can't handle. BestBuy Geek Squad is another choice.
    Susan, if it comes to the point that you think you need to do this, send me a PM and I will see if my husband will work on it for you. He's much cheaper and much better at it than either of those options (sorry, doubleturn .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Hi!!!!!

1) When the computer shuts down, is there any error messages/codes on the screen?
    No. It just goes off like I turned the power off. And comes right back on. I have to push the button on the PC to get that to come back on. I get on here morning, afternoon and evening, and it has only done it one of those times each day. And not at all on Tuesday.

3) To the best of your knowledge, has anything been installed recently?
    The computer does Windows updates and suggests compacting mail on its own.
    This started after I went to a temp agency who was having trouble with their computers and couldn't get their IT people to help. She sent me all of my forms later. I put them in Adobe and deleted them from the emails. Could something bad have gotten through? To turn off the computer though?

4) Is your anti-virus software up-to-date? When was the last time you scanned the entire hard drive?
    I have AVG Free. They update it without my having to do anything? The daily scan always comes back with no problems.

5) There is usually a set of buttons somewhere on the monitor where you can check settings such as picture clarity. Too many monitor setups to say which button to push.
    The monitor looks o.k. today. It must have been my eyes/reading glasses that were flickery.

6) 1999 is quite an impressive record for a monitor!
    Well, for the first 8 years, I hardly used my home computer at all because I could do everything at work. I still had dial-up here!!!! I’ve only been checking emails and going to message boards at home since 2008 when I got a DSL line, and now it is the ATT Uverse digital line or whatever. It’s been 6 months. Maybe that’s as long as that lasts till you have to call the 800 number and wait on hold for 4 hours and then get charged for “help”. :-(

I have always had "get a flat screen monitor" on my list of "when I get a job". I've only had temp work for 5 years now and can't afford a monitor. But I can't afford not to have a computer either!!!!!!!!!!!! Or lose all my stuff. I'm really freaking out about lots of stuff and this is just one more thing..............

Thanks for being interested!!!!!

vCash
    Is it the monitor that's turning off or the computer itself? Either way, check the computer's settings to see if the screen saver and/or power management settings are set to power off. You should also clean the vents on the display and workstation - if they are dusty, they can cause overheating and trigger a shutdown.

vCash
    It just did it again and I happened to look down and the power light was out on the power strip/surge protector. It came with the computer in 1999. It's probably got too much stuff plugged into it with the ATT Uverse things now. It's got 5 plugs that turn off when you turn it off. And two plugs for things that have to stay on. Geez. I'll go out and get a new one tomorrow.