Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Cliches People Say...That Drive You Crazy

I was just reading in the local newspaper where someone was quoted as saying, "If I can get through this...then so can anybody else!" (As if everyone else's circumstances are equal to yours, so they should be able to achieve everything you have...)

One that is so trite and naïve that always gets me is, "everything happens for a reason". Really? Explain the to me Holocaust then. How about the Tsunami in Thailand? Child slavery? Sex trafficking? I feel so embarrassed for people when they say this one. It's like they should be wearing a t-shirt that reads, "SIMPLETON...AND PROUD OF IT!"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    My bridge partner constantly says "it is what it is". I finally said something to her about it but she says she likes the expression so I don't think she's going to quit.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    "You can do anything you put your mind to." This is total bullshit. We shouldn't be teaching our children that the can be or do absolutely ANYTHING. We are not all smart enough to be rocket scientists, nor tall enough to be pro basketball players, or steady handed enough to be surgeons. It just isn't life. We should teach our children to experiment and find their strengths and then make decisions based on what they feel is the right thing for them to be/do. I'm getting off this soapbox now.

I also hate when people say "literally" and they don't mean it, at all. "OMG, I literally died!" Who are you, Jesus?

P.S. What's wrong with "it is what is is?" I say that quite often and find it to be incredibly true.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My bridge partner constantly says "it is what it is".
    I hate this one too. I have a friend who constantly says it; and in my mind, it would be fine if you were basically saying "oh well, I can't change things, so I'll just accept them" by using that phrase. But she uses it in a way that is so contradictory to what the intent of it means to me that it puts me a ledge.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    ... it puts me a ledge.
    Well, that's not a phrase I've heard before. I can understand it in context but what does it actually mean?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    "well, there you go" - a favorite phrase my mom uses. I don't know what she means by it.

"the past is the past and it won't change" - does that mean the past and you will continue your present course because you can opt out of the responsibilities or that the past is behind you and you will work to change the future. for most people, it seems to be the continue your present course

"it is what it is" - like fingernails on a chalkboard, sends chills down my spine and not in a good way

"like" as in "like, it is like, you know like" - my husband has no idea how many likes he uses in a day.

going postal

vCash
    Well I hate to think that I have been irritating people by saying "it is what it is " but I guess...it is what it is?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    'You know', drives me up the wall. I don't like other crutch phrases/words like 'like', 'basically' but they don't drive me crazy.

I have no problem with 'It is what it is' as long as it is not said in a condescending manner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    One that is so trite and naïve that always gets me is, "everything happens for a reason". Really? Explain the to me Holocaust then. How about the Tsunami in Thailand? Child slavery? Sex trafficking? I feel so embarrassed for people when they say this one.
    I don't personally like the phrase, but I can totally see how believing that "it's God's will" can help one cope with sadness or tragedy in one's life. And when one say "everything happens for a reason", the person is usually referring to events in his own life and not as a blanket statement to refer to events like the Holocaust, for example.

vCash
    It probably doesn't qualify as a cliche, but the phrase "at this/that point in time" has annoyed me ever since the Watergate hearings, when it was uttered in every other sentence.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    And when one say "everything happens for a reason", the person is usually referring to events in his own life and not as a blanket statement to refer to events like the Holocaust, for example.
    I'd be okay if somebody said something like, "some things have a meaning which we can't understand until later". But when they use words like everything...well, that makes it a blanket statement.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    All of the above. And a really old one that just hit me after hearing it on two different shows lately "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" about something bad that happened.........

Well, why not??????

vCash
    Oh, I agree about "you know." I have spent a long time trying to wean my husband off of that. He would use it so often. It began to really aggravate me to the point where I would stop him and ask him if he thought I was stupid and incapable of following his story. He looked at me all puzzled and I had to explain that he stops every sentence or two to ask "you know?" and it makes me feel like he thinks I'm an idiot! He has gotten a lot better.
    -Brian

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I don't mind "it is what it is" as long as it's not used dismissively. Sometimes things are just the way they are and can't be changed - seems an appropriate phrase then.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    "At the end of the day..."

vCash
    To me, 'It is what it is' indicates acceptance of an unpleasant situation that we are unable to change. I am OK with it, as long as it's not used excessively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

"like" as in "like, it is like, you know like" - my husband has no idea how many likes he uses in a day.

going postal
    That and also "like" used to mean "said". This is how nearly everyone relates a conversation now: "So I was like 'what?' and she was like 'I know, right?'"....

And let's add "I know, right?" to the list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    To me, 'It is what it is' indicates acceptance of an unpleasant situation that we are unable to change. I am OK with it, as long as it's not used excessively.
    I generally hear - it is what it is - as an excuse. And one that people accept because "it is what it is" and I can't be responsible for it since it is. YMMV

vCash
    I also hate when people say "literally" and they don't mean it, at all. "OMG, I literally died!" Who are you, Jesus?
    I agree. I overheard one of my students say yesterday, "I was literally as high as a kite." I wanted to stop her and say, "No, you were figuratively as high as a kite," but we were off campus and I didn't want to seem like I was spying in on a conversation about what she does on the weekend.

vCash
    "Ice is slippery."

"You can't win the competition after the short program. But you can certainly lose it after the short program!"

"His/her biggest strength is the lack of weakness."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast