Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,255
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Here is Slutskaya at 1994 Skate America:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

    Wow many of those marks are high for that performance too!
    Oh yes ! I had forgotten this one.
    I didn't know Slutzskaya, and was really surprised to see this new name to me in 1st ahead of Michelle and Surya.
    The LP was a disaster !

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What about Michelle Kwan at the 1997 US nationals? I think she was first after the SP (correct me if I am wrong) but had a disastrous LP and finished second to Lipinski.
    Yep, it was those defective figure skates mostly (Frank spoke with TSL about the misaligned blade that was never corrected that season), compounded by her crisis of confidence.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Here is Slutskaya at 1994 Skate America:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

    Wow many of those marks are high for that performance too!
    I had never seen that one. It was a trainwreck!

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Not sure if a video of this exists, but Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin had an uncharacteristically poor long program at 2003 Trophee Lalique after winning the short program. They only placed 4th in the segment (placing behind not only Dan and Hao Zhang but also Tiffany Scott/Philip Dulebohn and Anabelle Langlois/Patrice Archetto), winding up 2nd overall.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    france
    Posts
    554
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Not sure if a video of this exists, but Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin had an uncharacteristically poor long program at 2003 Trophee Lalique after winning the short program. They only placed 4th in the segment (placing behind not only Dan and Hao Zhang but also Tiffany Scott/Philip Dulebohn and Anabelle Langlois/Patrice Archetto), winding up 2nd overall.
    Their opening falls on the side by side triple salchows was priceless, they both fell totally in synch.
    Marinin said he was ill for the LP and if I remember correctly blamed his roomate for that (should had been Chuviliaev).

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In Saransk, RUS with Gordi Pots
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    The worst FS that I saw live was Carolina Kostner 2009 in LA-- I still tear up when I watch it. She had incredible grace in her disappointment.
    I also watched that live at the Staples and it was just sad, but it was even worst at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!

    I have to add, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1997 Worlds debut, they were in third after the short and just had a bad long and went out of the medals

    Nancy Kerrigan 1993 LP

    I don't recall at the moment a certain competition, but Denis Ten has been in top spots after the SP in many ocasions just to bomb and went down in the standings

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    I also watched that live at the Staples and it was just sad, but it was even worst at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!

    I have to add, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1997 Worlds debut, they were in third after the short and just had a bad long and went out of the medals

    Nancy Kerrigan 1993 LP

    I don't recall at the moment a certain competition, but Denis Ten has been in top spots after the SP in many ocasions just to bomb and went down in the standings
    Wasn't his 2012 Worlds FS really bad? A fall on every jump or something? (Sorry, I'm referring to Ten.. forgot to mention that lol)

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,620
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    Kostner has delivered some absolutely bombtastic freeskates but I don't think any of them came after leading in the SP. I think there was one where she managed one double axel and maybe one triple? I don't think she did much better at the Olympics.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6730
    I found it ... so unfortunate.

    Irina Slutskaya at Skate America 1994

    She had the only clean SP

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90phU1wUgjI

    Then an unfortunate freeskate

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    436
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    http://youtu.be/apQXhxLt0CM

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    http://youtu.be/apQXhxLt0CM
    Yeah, that one was quite bad.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That was also the official end of Flatt being a relevant skater.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The topic is worst ever free skate by a leader after the short program.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3065
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The topic is worst ever free skate by a leader after the short program.
    Yes, but the opening post also suggested that examples of skaters in the top 3 would also be relevant

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    http://youtu.be/apQXhxLt0CM
    Wow that was even worse then i remember.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3065
    The comeback free thread reminded me of another one for this thread - poor Joanna Ng at 1992 Worlds, who went from 2nd in the short to 14th overall. She had been badly injured the day of the free program but decided to try to push on and skate. Unfortunately, she showed that she probably was too injured to skate, as she skated very poorly and it was clear she was in pain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •