Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Here is Slutskaya at 1994 Skate America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

Wow many of those marks are high for that performance too!
    Oh yes ! I had forgotten this one.
    I didn't know Slutzskaya, and was really surprised to see this new name to me in 1st ahead of Michelle and Surya.
    The LP was a disaster !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What about Michelle Kwan at the 1997 US nationals? I think she was first after the SP (correct me if I am wrong) but had a disastrous LP and finished second to Lipinski.
    Yep, it was those defective figure skates mostly (Frank spoke with TSL about the misaligned blade that was never corrected that season), compounded by her crisis of confidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Here is Slutskaya at 1994 Skate America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

Wow many of those marks are high for that performance too!
    I had never seen that one. It was a trainwreck!

vCash
    Not sure if a video of this exists, but Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin had an uncharacteristically poor long program at 2003 Trophee Lalique after winning the short program. They only placed 4th in the segment (placing behind not only Dan and Hao Zhang but also Tiffany Scott/Philip Dulebohn and Anabelle Langlois/Patrice Archetto), winding up 2nd overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Not sure if a video of this exists, but Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin had an uncharacteristically poor long program at 2003 Trophee Lalique after winning the short program. They only placed 4th in the segment (placing behind not only Dan and Hao Zhang but also Tiffany Scott/Philip Dulebohn and Anabelle Langlois/Patrice Archetto), winding up 2nd overall.
    Their opening falls on the side by side triple salchows was priceless, they both fell totally in synch.
    Marinin said he was ill for the LP and if I remember correctly blamed his roomate for that (should had been Chuviliaev).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    The worst FS that I saw live was Carolina Kostner 2009 in LA-- I still tear up when I watch it. She had incredible grace in her disappointment.
    I also watched that live at the Staples and it was just sad, but it was even worst at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!

I have to add, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1997 Worlds debut, they were in third after the short and just had a bad long and went out of the medals

Nancy Kerrigan 1993 LP

I don't recall at the moment a certain competition, but Denis Ten has been in top spots after the SP in many ocasions just to bomb and went down in the standings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    I also watched that live at the Staples and it was just sad, but it was even worst at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!

I have to add, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1997 Worlds debut, they were in third after the short and just had a bad long and went out of the medals

Nancy Kerrigan 1993 LP

I don't recall at the moment a certain competition, but Denis Ten has been in top spots after the SP in many ocasions just to bomb and went down in the standings
    Wasn't his 2012 Worlds FS really bad? A fall on every jump or something? (Sorry, I'm referring to Ten.. forgot to mention that lol)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kostner has delivered some absolutely bombtastic freeskates but I don't think any of them came after leading in the SP. I think there was one where she managed one double axel and maybe one triple? I don't think she did much better at the Olympics.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I found it ... so unfortunate.

Irina Slutskaya at Skate America 1994

She had the only clean SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90phU1wUgjI

Then an unfortunate freeskate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

vCash
    Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    http://youtu.be/apQXhxLt0CM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Rachael Flatt Skate Canada 2011. Entering the free skate in 3rd place to then place last in the free skate with total score of 128. We had rarely ever seen Rachael flatt fall, but this was a disaster. Only successfully completing one clean triple and a fall on a 2A and 3S
    Yeah, that one was quite bad.

vCash
    That was also the official end of Flatt being a relevant skater.

vCash
    The topic is worst ever free skate by a leader after the short program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The topic is worst ever free skate by a leader after the short program.
    Yes, but the opening post also suggested that examples of skaters in the top 3 would also be relevant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Wow that was even worse then i remember.

vCash
    The comeback free thread reminded me of another one for this thread - poor Joanna Ng at 1992 Worlds, who went from 2nd in the short to 14th overall. She had been badly injured the day of the free program but decided to try to push on and skate. Unfortunately, she showed that she probably was too injured to skate, as she skated very poorly and it was clear she was in pain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123