Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Since we're including skaters who weren't leaders after the short, Laetitia Hubert was memorable at the 1992 Olympics. She dropped from 5th in the SP to 15th in the LP with an utterly horrible LP.

Of the medalists, Nancy's 1993 world LP was memorably disastrous.

vCash
    In the subcategory, there are lots of examples from Canadian Nationals - Kurt Browning in both 1990 and 1991, Sebastien Britten in 1995, Sale & Pelletier in 2002, and both Orser and Manley in 1988 immediately come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I think this is partly because the field is often just not deep so the second place finisher has a lot of ground to make up, and partly because Canadian judges tend to protect their champions. Oddly, the one time that they didn't protect the champion (the afore-mentioned Josee Chouinard in 1996 incident), I actually thought they should have. Josee was awful, but no one was really any better. Jennifer Robinson also had several mistakes in the free (including at least one fall) and her basic skating was miles behind Josee, but I think at that point the judges were just happy to see someone skate with a little bit of aggression and gave it to her.

One other example that's a bit of a stretch, but at 2005 Canadians in London, Meagan Duhamel had solid SP in both ladies (3rd in the SP itself, lower overall with qualifying) and pairs (4th), which were followed by disastrous free skates in both events. She fell 5 times in ladies and dropped to 7th, and I believe 3 or 4 falls in pairs, dropping to 8th.

vCash
    Kerrigan in 1993 was pretty awful. Wegelius in 1982 was also sad - she only needed to finish 4th in the long program to win the world title and could not accomplish that.

vCash
    I remember Verner being barely more than 2 points off the lead after the SP at 2008 Worlds. Only one fall in his LP (4t) but the score was 112. Popped axel, sal, and lutz, for 20th in the free and overall finish of 15th.

2010 Olympics Carolina Kostner had done OK in the short (7th and 10 pts back from Mao's 2nd, 15 from Yu-Na's lead--there were only 3.5 points between 3rd and 10th) but bombed the long--3 falls, a 1a-2t combo. I guess I remember more pops than that. She was 19th in the LP and 16th overall.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan at '93 Worlds, but Mirai at '10 Worlds was probably worse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JockProf View Post
    Kerrigan in 1993 was pretty awful. Wegelius in 1982 was also sad - she only needed to finish 4th in the long program to win the world title and could not accomplish that.
    I believe Kristofics Binder who was 4th in the LP landed 2 triples. I dont know if Wegelius was even capable of landing 2 triples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan at '93 Worlds, but Mirai at '10 Worlds was probably worse
    I disagree. Mirai landed half her jumps to the very least (the flip, the 2x-3toe, the loop, and the final toe--kind of). Nancy landed almost no triples cleanly, besides two triple toes.

vCash
    I actually rewatched Nancy's FS and the only triples that were clean were those 2 toe's. She popped her first lutz, doubled the second, 2 footed the flip... and so on.

vCash
    The worst FS that I saw live was Carolina Kostner 2009 in LA-- I still tear up when I watch it. She had incredible grace in her disappointment.

vCash
    Michael Weiss's FS at 2001 Nationals was absolutely disastrous. He was 5th in the free skate was lucky to be that high-- I remember being really annoyed by the fact that he beat a nearly clean Johnny Weir in the FS.

vCash
    Its been mentioned before but Chen at the Champion Series Finale in 1996 was truly disastrous. Afyer leading the short over Chouinard, Slutskaya and Kwan, she landed only 2 triples in the long. Dropped to 5th and 4th overall in a field of maybe 6 or 7 at most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I believe Kristofics Binder who was 4th in the LP landed 2 triples. I dont know if Wegelius was even capable of landing 2 triples.
    Wegelius tried only one triple (salchow) and missed that. She never landed a clean triple in major championships. No one expected her to win (even if only 4th place in the free was needed) but dropping to 9th was a bit of a surprise.

vCash
    1982 World Championships ladies was probably the worst ever final group overall for a long program (Kristiina Wegeius 12th, Debbie Cottrill 17th, Kay Thomson 9th, Elena Vodorezova 8th in the segment).

vCash
    The biggest train wreck that comes to mind is Irina at 1994 Skate America. I don't think I've ever seen so many falls in one program.

And definitely Nancy at 1993 Worlds. You can see the uncertainty in her eyes from the moment she got on the ice. It appears she can't even hold her pose at the beginning of the program, as she's shaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The biggest train wreck that comes to mind is Irina at 1994 Skate America. I don't think I've ever seen so many falls in one program.

And definitely Nancy at 1993 Worlds. You can see the uncertainty in her eyes from the moment she got on the ice. It appears she can't even hold her pose at the beginning of the program, as she's shaking.
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Nancy had an in-grown toe-nail that had to be removed, causing the bad skate? I remember reading that here (or on FS World...) way back when.

vCash
    wrong thread
    Last edited by UGG; 06-08-2013 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Nancy had an in-grown toe-nail that had to be removed, causing the bad skate? I remember reading that here (or on FS World...) way back when.
    I'm not sure, but it was hardly a surprise. It was more of a surprise that the competition was so tight that she fell to 9th in the free. Nancy looked just as nervous at US Nationals (visibly shaking before and during her performance) and every fluff piece at the time focused on her increased pressure. The pro/am a few weeks later was just as sad to watch. All of that made the 1993-1994 season stand out even more.

vCash
    OMG I totally thought this was the thread with the poll about who had the easiest competition LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I'm not sure, but it was hardly a surprise. It was more of a surprise that the competition was so tight that she fell to 9th in the free. Nancy looked just as nervous at US Nationals (visibly shaking before and during her performance) and every fluff piece at the time focused on her increased pressure. The pro/am a few weeks later was just as sad to watch. All of that made the 1993-1994 season stand out even more.
    And if you look at Kerrigans performances before you see mostly poor free skates. She was able to medal in 91 and 92 cause others performed even worse, aided with being held up. She also was in the shadow of Harding and Yamaguchi. When Kristi retired, and Harding was an even bigger mess in the 92-93 season, she was not able to sustain being the top US lady expected to win gold. She finally it together her last season as an amatuer though.

vCash
    Here is Slutskaya at 1994 Skate America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbuNARSKEA

Wow many of those marks are high for that performance too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast