Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

worst ever freeskate by a leader after the short program

Could be a short program winner, or going further back a figures winner, or leader after combined figures+SP or combined qual round + SP.

For pairs, it will just be the short program winner.

Feel free to include skaters who were 2nd or 3rd going into the free but then fell far short of medal contention.

So who started strong and then really bombed the last part of the competition?

Or was lucky to win the earlier round because others bombed, or because that phase especially played to their strengths, but didn't have the overall skill level to maintain the lead even with a relatively successful skate for their level?

vCash
    The most disastrous FS I've seen recently was Hae-Jin Kim of Korea two seasons ago. Though most don't pay attention to the JGP, she was leading after the SP but fell four times in the FS and plummeted in the standings. It was pretty sad...

vCash
    In terms of World Championships and/or Olympics:

Men

1984 Olympics: Scott Hamilton
    1986 World Championships: Alexander Fadeev

Ladies

1979 World Championships: Anett Pötzsch
    1982 World Championships: Kristina Wegelius
    1987 World Championships: Kira Ivanova
    1988 Olympics: Debi Thomas
    1990 World Championships: Natalia Lebedeva
    1993 World Championships: Nancy Kerrigan
    1995 World Championships: Nicole Bobek
    2006 World Championships: Sasha Cohen
    2010 World Championships: Mirai Nagasu

vCash
    Gold: 2013 Worlds- Patrick Chan
    Silver: 1986 Worlds- Alexander Fadeev
    Bronze: 1990 Worlds- Viktor Petrenko

Ladies:

Gold: 1993 Worlds- Nancy Kerrigan
    Silver: 2006 Worlds- Sasha Cohen
    Bronze: 1979 Worlds- Anett Potzsch

vCash
    Josee Chouinard, 1996 Canadian Nationals. She was the favorite going in, with no one else to challenge her if she pulled off about 3 triples. She got in one triple: the final triple lutz.

vCash
    Josee's skate in 1996 and Kerrigan's skate in 1993 were the two worst.
    For Josee this was a competish she could have even just glossed over on her way to world's and back to 1998 Olympics. Instead, just a flurry of horror.

Kerrigan's was sad for a different reason. The look on her face was as if her entire world was unravelling and she was helpless to fix it. It was a look of sheer bewilderment mixed with panic. You just knew what was going on in her mind.

vCash
    Nancy's 93 Worlds LP was a hot mess...
    Last edited by Kwantumleap; 06-06-2013 at 02:34 AM.

vCash
    Laura Lepisto at 2007 Skate Canada

vCash
    Priscilla Hill - 82 US National

Kristina Wegelius - 82 World. Dropped from 1st to 9th after the LP.
    Last edited by orbitz; 06-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.

vCash
    Daisuke Takahashi was third after the short at the 2004 Trophee Eric Bompard. He was only able to manage SEVEN points more in the free skate (71 points tells you the quality of the skate), and fell four times. He dropped all the way to 11th (last) place.

Separate discussion, but I can't think of another skater who has had such a close score between segments in one competition since IJS has been around.

vCash
    Nancy Kerrigan's meltdown at '93 Worlds is the first that comes to mind.

vCash
    What about Michelle Kwan at the 1997 US nationals? I think she was first after the SP (correct me if I am wrong) but had a disastrous LP and finished second to Lipinski.

vCash
    Anna Ovcharova at 2011 JWC. Her SP was fantastic, beating Kanako, but then in the FS she fell twice and the jumps that she did land were all shaky and wonky looking except for the double axels. It was pretty sad, I wanted her to medal so badly, but she was 8th in the FS and wound up 5th overall, and honestly was lucky to have not dropped any lower than that.

Also DeeDee Leng at 2009 junior nationals. She won the SP, then was 3rd in the FS, but all the ladies were really off that night. Kawamura won the FS with only 3t, 3s, and some doubles, and Gao was 2nd in the FS with 3 falls and low PCS. Leng managed to win somehow, but it was pretty unusual.

vCash
    Anna Ovcharova at 2011 JWC. Her SP was fantastic, beating Kanako, but then in the FS she fell twice and the jumps that she did land were all shaky and wonky looking except for the double axels. It was pretty sad, I wanted her to medal so badly, but she was 8th in the FS and wound up 5th overall, and honestly was lucky to have not dropped any lower than that.

Also DeeDee Leng at 2009 junior nationals. She won the SP, then was 3rd in the FS, but all the ladies were really off that night. Kawamura won the FS with only 3t, 3s, and some doubles, and Gao was 2nd in the FS with 3 falls and low PCS. Leng managed to win somehow, but it was pretty unusual.

Also Kiri Baga at 2010 Jr. Nationals. Agnes easily won, but Kiri was 2nd going into the FS then fell 3 or 4 times and finished 4th and only just barely, getting beaten by Lindsay Davis and being something like 9th in the FS or something. Yikes.

vCash
    Wow poor Daisuke, that's a rough program :S

JJ goes in and brings up Chan (expected; the "in thing" to do lately is bash Chan), although his performance at worlds wasn't THAT bad that it should be mentioned here, or at least it shouldn't be mentioned as the worst one. Others have done much worse

vCash
    I guess we could have a subcategory: worst freeskate by a leader after the short program that was lucky enough to hang on for a gold medal

Which other gold-medal-winning programs have been mentioned so far? Hamilton 1984 Olympics . . . any others?

Lambiel 2005 comes to mind. He did win the freeskate (as well as the SP and qual round) thanks to everyone else having problems as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I guess we could have a subcategory: worst freeskate by a leader after the short program that was lucky enough to hang on for a gold medal

Which other gold-medal-winning programs have been mentioned so far? Hamilton 1984 Olympics . . . any others?
    Someone already brought up Chan's skate this year at Worlds.

vCash
    Lepisto at Skate Canada 2007 and Kerrigan 1993 Worlds were the first that came to my mind for international competitions. Kerrigan's is particularly bad in that it is one of the few pre-COP/post-figures occasions where the leader after the SP hasn't at least hung on for a medal. It seems to be a lot more common under COP, where the TES scores are somewhat less subject to protocol judging.

I recall a couple of bad ones at the junior level at Canadians. In 2009, Ronald Lam led after the SP and dropped to fourth overall with a 10th place free skate. The same year, Alexandra Najarro led the junior ladies SP and dropped to 8th after the free, with a 16th place in the free itself. The 1-16 combo is probably the biggest difference I've ever seen. I had thought there was a third example involving Ashton Tessier but it turns out that she finished 2nd in the SP at 2004 Canadians in junior ladies leading up to her 15th place free skate that had her 11th overall.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Even though she wasn't leading after the SP, Czisny's '12 World's FP was the worst skate I've seen. Just a tragedy from beginning to end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Lepisto at Skate Canada 2007 and Kerrigan 1993 Worlds were the first that came to my mind for international competitions. Kerrigan's is particularly bad in that it is one of the few pre-COP/post-figures occasions where the leader after the SP hasn't at least hung on for a medal. It seems to be a lot more common under COP, where the TES scores are somewhat less subject to protocol judging.
    Mine also, and ITA about Kerrigan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast