Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think Evan knows all that which is why I would surprised if he even shows up. I think this whole "comeback" is a way of keeping his name in the news until it fades into relative obscurity for good after the Sochi Olympics. Not that I blame him for that, he might as well milk his last 15 minutes and every cent he can get out of it.
    Jenny Kirk's interview with Frank Carroll and the fact that Frank Carroll has moved his training site to better accommodate Evan and Denis tells me that Evan is serious about this. It may not pan out because of injuries or whatever, but I think he's going to give it a good try.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    If he competes at Nationals, I will eat my hat and have Alexei Urmanov's gloves for dessert. That is all.
    Note to self:

Bookmark this, and ask for video evidence if this all comes to pass.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    or frank moved his training site because palm springs is way too hot in the summer and really boring a lot of the time. or he got a better offer at toyota. or because denis is more of a medal contender than he was this time last yr. but i expect evan to be at skam, watching with the commentators. same for nats and sochi.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm always wondering what about Evan makes certain posters get schizophrenic or even become stalkers (one poster comes to mind). He is not polarizing, and by all accounts, he's lovely in person. I'm saying this as someone who was something of a fan, but no longer. However, I wish him well and don't really care if he comes back or not. If he does, great! It will add to the excitement. If not, there's a bunch of US men with a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm saying this as someone who was something of a fan, but no longer. However, I wish him well and don't really care if he comes back or not. If he does, great! It will add to the excitement. If not, there's a bunch of US men with a shot.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Note to self:

Bookmark this, and ask for video evidence if this all comes to pass.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Not an Evan fan but I do admire his work ethic, personally I think he tends to be OCD when it comes to training but it's his body, would love it if all who want to compete were able to but nothing is guaranteed in life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm always wondering what about Evan makes certain posters get schizophrenic or even become stalkers (one poster comes to mind). He is not polarizing, and by all accounts, he's lovely in person. I'm saying this as someone who was something of a fan, but no longer. However, I wish him well and don't really care if he comes back or not. If he does, great! It will add to the excitement. If not, there's a bunch of US men with a shot.
    This is like so backhanded. He's bland! He's Boring! Who cares if he wins? Or what he did or says?! Three Olympics in a row were won by men who did quads or mutilple quads and the he goes and says anyone who doesn't like the fact that he won without one wants to abolish figure skating and replace it with a jump contest! No it was not abOut abolishing figure skating and replacing it with top jump. How about some standards for athleticism in sports? Some standard for jumps!
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 06-09-2013 at 02:02 AM.

vCash
    I think Lysacek has many factors that draw people to dislike him. He is a bit polarizing. I'll see if I can identify a few:

- The Johnny-fans still bitter over the rivalry/fact that Evan became the golden boy for the USFSA
    - Those who saw his nasty tweet about Johnny's gender (and rather pathetic ensuing attempts to cover it up)
    - Those rather confused when Lysacek fans proclaim that Plushenko does little more than "flail" but Lysacek is apparently some great arteest
    - The triple Salchow that is somehow called a triple Axel
    - The old "Evan works harder than anyone else" which always makes me want to strangle something because guess what, EVERY SKATER WORKS HARD
    - His irritating portrayal during Vancouver as the "sweet innocent All-American Boy fighting against the Evil Communist Russian Plushenko*"
    - And of course, the issue that he fully intends on swanning back in after almost four years out and expecting (and receiving) Grand Prixs, byes to Nationals, even a berth on the World/Olympic team, ahead of skaters that really have been working their butts off and are far more deserving.

* - Evil Communist Russian Plushenko is a trademark of the NBC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think Lysacek has many factors that draw people to dislike him. He is a bit polarizing.
    When skaters dominates, there will be some fans who shout at each other "who's the greatest of them all"! This is not applicable only to Lysacek. Of course beating Plushenko by a hair's breadth makes all the 'fan fighting' more colourful.

The Johnny-fans still bitter over the rivalry/fact that Evan became the golden boy for the USFSA
    The competition is over. It's interesting to watch the aftermath biitching continuing into the next Olympics.

Those rather confused when Lysacek fans proclaim that Plushenko does little more than "flail" but Lysacek is apparently some great arteest
    One man's meat is another man's poison.

The old "Evan works harder than anyone else" which always makes me want to strangle something because guess what, EVERY SKATER WORKS HARD
    That is Lysacek's trademark. No, I don't think every skater works hard. There were some highly talented skaters who didn't reach their potential, and 'hard work and focus' may be one of the reasons.

And of course, the issue that he fully intends on swanning back in after almost four years out and expecting (and receiving) Grand Prixs, byes to Nationals, even a berth on the World/Olympic team, ahead of skaters that really have been working their butts off and are far more deserving.
    There you go. You think Lysacek is not working his butts off, and only other skaters are? There are rules and if he is given a place within the rules, there's nothing wrong? It can happen to other skaters and not just Lysacek.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The old "Evan works harder than anyone else" which always makes me want to strangle something because guess what, EVERY SKATER WORKS HARD
    Gotta admit , this bugs me most of all. He's been hiding out, avoiding competition, and conserving his body while others have been competing. I don't call that a strong work ethic. Every skater at the elite level works hard. Evan has done nothing for Figure Skating in the last 3 years. It's all about him and $$$$. Yet now he is prepared to waltz back on the scene and be the Feds favorite once again.

(and yes, I watched the negative tweet and his lies unfold)
    Last edited by centerpt1; 06-09-2013 at 02:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    The competition is over. It's interesting to watch the aftermath biitching continuing into the next Olympics.
    The Weir fans still butthurt over it amuse me greatly. It's not like it was even that epic a rivalry.

That is Lysacek's trademark. No, I don't think every skater works hard. There were some highly talented skaters who didn't reach their potential, and 'hard work and focus' may be one of the reasons.
    Well yeah, but I didn't feel like being beheaded by Weir fans this morning. But most skaters work very hard, especially at that level. Does Lysacek really work harder than Plushenko? I doubt it. It does take a lot of work to reach that level. (It takes a lot of work to reach any level in skating.)

There you go. You think Lysacek is not working his butts off, and only other skaters are? There are rules and if he is given a place within the rules, there's nothing wrong? It can happen to other skaters and not just Lysacek.
    Nah, nah, nah, I didn't say that. I said other skaters DESERVE it more. They have been throwing themselves out there and competing and working their way up the ranks and suddenly Lysacek decides to swan back in and bypass all that. I still think both he and Weir should be made to qualify for Nationals.

vCash
    -
    The old "Evan works harder than anyone else" which always makes me want to strangle something because guess what, EVERY SKATER WORKS HARD....
    And of course, the issue that he fully intends on swanning back in after almost four years out and expecting (and receiving) Grand Prixs, byes to Nationals, even a berth on the World/Olympic team, ahead of skaters that really have been working their butts off and are far more deserving.
    Why hold what other people say about Lysacek against him? Yes, the NBC commentators, Euro Sports commentators, and Canadian commentators all stated that Evan worked hard, was the best trained athlete, etc.. Moreover, other skaters have mentioned how hard Evan trains. (Jenny Kirk, Jason Brown, Mirai Nagasu) Before, the Olympics, Nagasu posted this on her webpage:

Did I also mention that Evan is the best training buddy ever? No matter how tired he is, he pushes himself to do his programs, so he can do it in any kind of situation. Watching him train is so motivating for me...I try to follow his example by doing programs with the intensity he has, but somehow my attempts just don't match his....Thank you Evan for always being there to give me a piece of advice and motivating me to do my best! http://www.figureskatersonline.com/m...u/journal4.htm

I don't recall people getting upset when Plushenko took over three years off from competing, returned in the 2010 Olympic season, and was given a GP assignment (Cup of Russia).

FYI, Lysacek is not the only skater that has earned a bye to the 2014 US Nationals. The bye for winning an Olympic medal has been in place long before Evan won his Olympic gold medal. I get a good laugh when people argue that Evan getting a bye to Nationals denies a more deserving skater of an opportunity to compete. ....please tell me how. The skaters without a bye qualify via sectionals. None of the skaters with a bye prevent any skater from qualifying through sectionals. In fact, since some skaters have byes, it actually allows more...not less skaters...to qualify for nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Gotta admit , this bugs me most of all. He's been hiding out, avoiding competition, and conserving his body while others have been competing. I don't call that a strong work ethic. Every skater at the elite level works hard. Evan has done nothing for Figure Skating in the last 3 years. It's all about him and $$$$. Yet now he is prepared to waltz back on the scene and be the Feds favorite once again.
    I guess a strained MCL in September 2011, a groin injury in the Summer-Fall of 2012, and a torn abdominal muscle that required surgery in November 2012 is Evan's way to "conserve his body."

vCash
    Nah, nah, nah, I didn't say that. I said other skaters DESERVE it more. They have been throwing themselves out there and competing and working their way up the ranks and suddenly Lysacek decides to swan back in and bypass all that. I still think both he and Weir should be made to qualify for Nationals.
    How soon we forget. Lysacek worked many years working his way up the ranks, and won two world bronze medals, a World Championship, and an Olympic Gold Medal. He did not "bypass" anything. Lysacek EARNED his bye to US Nationals by winning on Olympic medal. All that bye will give Lysacek is an opportunity to compete for a spot on the Olympic team, and it does not deny any other skater of the opportunity to compete for a spot on the Olympic team.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    (and yes, I watched the negative tweet and his lies unfold)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I wonder if Evan's "Q rating" (used by advertisers to measure the credibility of various celebrities in picking who gets used in ads) has been affected by the "comeback talk" without any competition. Furthermore, he hasn't done SOI because of his training ... which is probably costing him a pretty penny, SOI being the prime money maker for pro skaters. I think Evan is acting in good faith ... he is certainly putting himself at great risk if he doesn't compete. However, I think that if Evan shows up at SA and Nats and does his best ... even if he doesn't make the team, he will earn back a lot of the regard that has been lost by the talk.

vCash

- The old "Evan works harder than anyone else" which always makes me want to strangle something because guess what, EVERY SKATER WORKS HARD
    Actually it was Frank Carroll who said this to Evan before he skated on the ice and I always felt like yelling back to Frank, "what about the skaters who have to work at jobs in order to pay for their training? " I often wondered how many talented skaters never made it because they couldn't afford to spend 8 hours a day on the ice.

vCash
    When you're 6'2", not very artistic, and there's tons of short skaters out there with much more talent than you, don't you almost have to outwork everybody if you have Olympic gold medal aspirations?

vCash
    I think a second Olympic appearance from Evan would be rather exciting and drive more (US) folks to tune in to men's skating. Though I am not particularly awed by his skating, I like that he can churn out relatively clean and consistent performances when the pressure is on.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast