Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 304
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,547
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    ^^ S&Z came back with a vengence. Plushenko almost did in Vancouver. Why not Lysacek? Afterall, the podium is up for grabs although we can name a handful who may have a better chance of winning any medals.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^ S&Z came back with a vengence. Plushenko almost did in Vancouver. Why not Lysacek? Afterall, the podium is up for grabs although we can name a handful who may have a better chance of winning any medals.
    Maybe because the men's field is currently much deeper than the pairs field around 2009-2010? All S/Z really had to do in 2010 was to beat Savchenko/Szolkowy to win the OGM. When Savchenko/Szolkowy started falling apart and skating poorly even before the Olympics began and S/Z pretty much won everything leading up to the Olympics, the OGM was basically S/Z's to lose. S/Z as the #1 Chinese pair were guaranteed to beat P/T and Z/Z as long as they skated decently. Other teams like K/S, M/T and D/D had zero chance of beating S/Z. On the other hand, Lysacek at the very least has to beat at least two of Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi in order to have a chance at the podium, and all four of them have displayed a level of skating much higher than Lysacek has ever accomplished.

    That said, it's possible that Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi can all bomb and Lysacek can make the podium by skating clean. Even so, with the rule changes after the Vancouver Olympics (which, most notably, increased the value of quads) it's still going to be difficult for Lysacek to beat Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi even if they make mistakes. It's just laughable to compare S/Z's situation in 2010 to Lysacek in Sochi.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,710
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    14096
    I personally thought that Evan was given a gift, had an unusual season for him and scored big. S&Z were more committed to the sport, IMO than Evan seems to be. Plushy is getting older. S&Z left because of injury but started competing as soon as possible, I think that Evan has been playing more than committing more.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^ S&Z came back with a vengence. Plushenko almost did in Vancouver. Why not Lysacek? Afterall, the podium is up for grabs although we can name a handful who may have a better chance of winning any medals.
    Truthfully, I think S/Z and Plushenko in 2010 were better skaters/competitors than Lysacek is likely to be now. The field is also realistically broader now than it was in 2010 for men/pairs.

  5. #25
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,210
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19005
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I think Lysacek is capable of winning another medal. It will be interesting to see another showdown between the two OGMs - Plushenko and Lysacek, and this time in the home country of Plushenko.
    Lysacek will have to wait until at least 2022 for there to be an Olympics in his home country
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The only guy who is guaranteed a medal after a not so clean program is Patrick Chan. Barring any disaster, I'm talking two or three falls per program, he'll win Olympic gold. Who is naive enough to bet against him?

    A *clean* Evan Lysacek could possibly take home a medal, only that the same could be said for Fernandez, Takahashi, and Ten. IMO silver and bronze are between those four.

    Hanyu is to lethargic and inconsistent at this moment to even enter the picture.

    Plushenko's body has given all it could. I don't see him even making it to the Olympics.

    In a perfect world Abbott would be contending for a medal, but he won't even make it out of nationals let alone go to the Olympics

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Though four reigning U.S. champions will also be at the Oct. 18-20 event, Lysacek is the main attraction everyone is waiting to see.
    Eh, not for me. I am much more excited about seeing skaters like Kozuka, Takahashi, Shibutanis, & Davis & White.

    Also, if it's his 11th week back on the ice, that means he would not have started skating again until around mid-March. Was he seriously intimating he'd make Nationals, even with the hernia? I can't remember.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    The only guy who is guaranteed a medal after a not so clean program is Patrick Chan. Barring any disaster, I'm talking two or three falls per program, he'll win Olympic gold. Who is naive enough to bet against him?

    A *clean* Evan Lysacek could possibly take home a medal, only that the same could be said for Fernandez, Takahashi, and Ten. IMO silver and bronze are between those four.

    Hanyu is to lethargic and inconsistent at this moment to even enter the picture.

    Plushenko's body has given all it could. I don't see him even making it to the Olympics.

    In a perfect world Abbott would be contending for a medal, but he won't even make it out of nationals let alone go to the Olympics
    1. The way Chan is going right now he is far from a lock for OGM. Of the 4 gold medal favorites in the 4 disciplines he is by FAR the least likely to win.

    2. Plushenko in Russia and Hanyu are most certainly medal contenders, and have WAY more chance of a medal than Lysacek does at his point.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Eh, not for me. I am much more excited about seeing skaters like Kozuka, Takahashi, Shibutanis, & Davis & White.

    Also, if it's his 11th week back on the ice, that means he would not have started skating again until around mid-March. Was he seriously intimating he'd make Nationals, even with the hernia? I can't remember.
    It may be his 11th week back on ice full time, or he may have taken a break and resumed training 11 weeks ago. He was off ice after the November surgery until three weeks before Nationals. Lysacek skated on the Today show on February 6, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn-qErnY87Q

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Unless Hanyu suddenly develops some stamina in the LP he might have trouble getting on the podium.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1618
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I can't shake the image that USFS is Charlie Brown and Evan is Lucy holding the football.
    After what happened in 2011, I'd say USFS is Lucy pulling the football from Evan.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in the zone!!!
    Posts
    5,513
    vCash
    1654
    Rep Power
    2541
    Skateindreams (cool name), I did that because he has done it the past 2 years. Also, he is going to need a quad in the short and one or 2 in the fs to be in the top 6. He has nowhere near the artistry that Jeremy has, and Max Aaron is a jumping machine. Unless I hear about people seeing him practice and are reporting back to anywhere, he is taking experience, a GP spot and points away from another American skater.
    Skating is going to be hurting here in the US if USFS doesn't start to get the new skaters out there. Talk about lack of coverage after the Olympics. It will be next to nothing.
    softball

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8135
    I wish Evan the best of luck; regardless of what anyone thinks of his chances, he wants to try and go for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. He may fail, he may succeed, he may change his mind, but he's doing it on his own terms.

    And caseyedwards, congratulations for not breaking your record of "quad-whining" in the comments following every Evan Lysacek article. The first thing I did after reading the USAToday article was look to see if there were any comments, and as soon as I saw there was one, I knew it would be you. Thanks much, I personally enjoy knowing how much your knickers get bunched up thinking about Evan Lysacek skating again. Hope the painkillers were handy when you wrote that...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Wishing him the best; and that he will be able to perform as well as he hopes.
    eta: He doesn't deserve the reaction in the post, above.
    Agreed but haterz gonna hate.

    I don't think he's going to make it to Sochi but I'd love for Evan to prove me wrong.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I wish Evan the best of luck; regardless of what anyone thinks of his chances, he wants to try and go for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. He may fail, he may succeed, he may change his mind, but he's doing it on his own terms.

    And caseyedwards, congratulations for not breaking your record of "quad-whining" in the comments following every Evan Lysacek article. The first thing I did after reading the USAToday article was look to see if there were any comments, and as soon as I saw there was one, I knew it would be you. Thanks much, I personally enjoy knowing how much your knickers get bunched up thinking about Evan Lysacek skating again. Hope the painkillers were handy when you wrote that...
    He can skate all he wants but said something stupid and ignorant that implied programs with quads can't be clean! What an idiot!

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Land of Unrealistic Assumptions
    Posts
    4,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1942
    The idiot in this thread isn't Evan.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8135
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He can skate all he wants but said something stupid and ignorant that implied programs with quads can't be clean! What an idiot!
    Any you, of course, quoted only a select part of what he said to fit your purpose, not the full statement: "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way." You conveniently left out the rest. He never implied that programs with quads can't be clean nor did he discount the quad as not valuable. As usual, you're twisting the story to fit your Evan-hating, quad-obsessed fury.

    Evan won the OGM fair and square in 2010 whether you agree with it or not. My philosophy on the race for the Men's gold in Sochi is may the best man win, but I swear, I'd LOVE to see Evan compete and maybe even medal again just to make you as miserable as possible. For the way you've chased down every statement he has made since Vancouver to slam him for winning without the quad, you'd deserve it. Agree about Evan definitely not being the "idiot" in this thread...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Unless Hanyu suddenly develops some stamina in the LP he might have trouble getting on the podium.
    The way I see it, Hanyu missed the 2013 Worlds podium because of how he skated his short program rather than his long. He scored by some 20 points lower than his season best score of 95+ points.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Lysacek skated on the Today show on February 6, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn-qErnY87Q
    Evan's haters please don't kill me for really enjoying Evan's footwork section here. The whole program is very well constructed in my opinion and his body movement looks improved.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    The idiot in this thread isn't Evan.
    The threads about an idiot.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Any you, of course, quoted only a select part of what he said to fit your purpose, not the full statement: "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way." You conveniently left out the rest. He never implied that programs with quads can't be clean nor did he discount the quad as not valuable. As usual, you're twisting the story to fit your Evan-hating, quad-obsessed fury.

    Evan won the OGM fair and square in 2010 whether you agree with it or not. My philosophy on the race for the Men's gold in Sochi is may the best man win, but I swear, I'd LOVE to see Evan compete and maybe even medal again just to make you as miserable as possible. For the way you've chased down every statement he has made since Vancouver to slam him for winning without the quad, you'd deserve it. Agree about Evan definitely not being the "idiot" in this thread...
    Both of his statements are clear and stand by themselves. If he competes and medals with a quad in sp and lp it Shows how skating has changed for the better!!!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •