Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I must have been way out of the loop; I didn't know Evan's father had been sick. Sorry to hear that.
    Last year Evan cited his father's illness as the motivation behind him skating in the Kaleidoscope on Ice show, since the show raised funds for cancer research. During the taping of the show, they mentioned that Evan was skating while injured & in pain, although it was not obvious by the way he had skated. One week later, Evan had surgery to repair the abdominal tear.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Good luck Evan on working through your injuries. I'll be cheering for you in Boston!

vCash
    Today show videos:

"Sochi Olympic hopefuls honor their moms" (Oct. 28): http://www.today.com/video/today/53394214/

Lysacek, Davis/White and others wearing various Sochi Olympic gear starting around 2:15 of this report (Oct. 29): http://www.today.com/video/today/53403917/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Recent articles/videos (some reposted from other threads):

1. Father's Illness Provides Evan Lysacek more resolve: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/3291453/

2. Lysacek Doing Doubles, Triple Jumps in Practice: http://news.yahoo.com/lysacek-doing-...9891--spt.html
    Quote from the second article:
    "I've come back from every single one of [the injuries]," Lysacek told The Associated Press on Monday. "I have faith that this is no different from those."
    Erm. . . but he *hasn't* yet in the last 3 years. I do hope he gets better but I think he might want to continue being very, very careful. The article also implies that his torn labrum was a one-time acute injury, and it's much more common for labral tears to be gradual in onset, caused by repetitive overuse.

Wishing the best for his dad.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post

Quote from the second article:

Erm. . . but he *hasn't* yet in the last 3 years. I do hope he gets better but I think he might want to continue being very, very careful. The article also implies that his torn labrum was a one-time acute injury, and it's much more common for labral tears to be gradual in onset, caused by repetitive overuse.

Wishing the best for his dad.
    Having seen him skate in July at Sun Valley, he skated very well and appeared to be fully recovered from the injuries that he sustained last Fall, and he did not evidence any residuals from the November 2012 surgery. Time will tell if Evan can recover from the last injury that occurred in August 2013.

vCash
    If Evan wishes to compete; and qualify for the US Olympic team, I hope that he is able to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    If Evan wishes to compete; and qualify for the US Olympic team, I hope that he is able to do so.
    Me to. We have some great men, but Evan is probably the best "competitor" of the bunch. He shows up and delivers when the pressure is on which sadly some of them don't seem to be able to do.

vCash
    USOC's "100 Days Out" Celebration in NYC
    Evan Lysacek models the Ralph Lauren sweater to be worn by Team USA athletes at the Sochi closing ceremonies. (Photo 1 of 8 by Lynn Rutherford) http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/63487954 (others pictured in the gallery include Sarah and Emily Hughes)

Tweeted by USFS tonight:
    Evan Lysacek on the big screens in Times Square. #100Days http://pic.twitter.com/43rWyVxk8U
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Michelle Kwan interviews Evan Lysacek:

http://news.spoal.com/post/655065804...-with-michelle

vCash

Thanks for sharing! Interesting to hear about Frank's coaching approach and always nice to see Michelle. No question Evan trains hard.
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash

What a great interview! I wish it were longer. Thanks for posting!

vCash
    Oh the excitement builds as we get closer to Socchi...who will not be too injured to compete and win!

vCash
    well, quad or no quad, I hope Evan is able to compete.

vCash
    Ditto!

vCash
    If Evan doesn't qualify in an international event before Nationals is there any point in his competing there? Is there any possibility of an exception to the minimum score qualification for the "reigning" Olympic gold medalist?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookslut View Post
    If Evan doesn't qualify in an international event before Nationals is there any point in his competing there?
    There are some Senior B events between US Nationals and the Olympics where he could get a qualifying score. The wording of the USFS selection document, however, seems to say the athlete must already meet the qual standards for the athlete "to be considered for nomination" to the US team. Since the nominations are made within 24 hours of completing the event at Nationals, this means the athlete must already have a qual scores by Nationals. (I guess the nominations are not formalized until they pass thru a couple more committees, but as I recall that is usually a matter of a few days.)

As seems always the case with ISU and USFS documents, the wording is awkward, but the reference to qual scores clearly is in there as a prerequisite to consideration, rather than some minor detail to be cleaned up later. I have a hunch this is not really what the USFS meant, and I don't know what they will do about it if Lysacek places top 3 at Nationals. IMO he would be smart to try to get into an international in January before Nationals.

I don't think the ISU has any procedure for waiving qual scores for anybody.
    Last edited by Susan M; 11-02-2013 at 04:32 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Plushenko was given an exception to compete at 2012 Euros. He had not competed in the 2010-11 season or in the 2011-12 season until Euros, and did not make the minimum score before that competition. The Russian Federation had to ask for the exception, which USFS would have to do as well. I'm not sure how they would do that, if they haven't already picked him, but it's possible they could try to rush it through before the nomination process is complete. They might also attempt to file an amendment to the selection procedures, which were approved by USOC, and allow a conditional appointment, so that Lysacek could compete at one of the couple of Senior B's after US Nationals and before 27 January 2014, by which date the NOC's must submit the paperwork for the participants to SOCHI.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Plushenko was given an exception to compete at 2012 Euros. He had not competed in the 2010-11 season or in the 2011-12 season until Euros, and did not make the minimum score before that competition. The Russian Federation had to ask for the exception, which USFS would have to do as well. I'm not sure how they would do that, if they haven't already picked him, but it's possible they could try to rush it through before the nomination process is complete. They might also attempt to file an amendment to the selection procedures, which were approved by USOC, and allow a conditional appointment, so that Lysacek could compete at one of the couple of Senior B's after US Nationals and before 27 January 2014, by which date the NOC's must submit the paperwork for the participants to SOCHI.
    The difference is that the exception for Plushenko ONLY covered his QR at Euros. He had to skate the QR and meet the TES minimum for the LP in order to be allowed to skate at Euros. If he hadn't made the TES minimum in the QR, he wasn't allowed to skate. I think part of that was also that he pointed out that the ISU's own actions rendered him unable to skate and earn the scores the previous season. Lysacek has no such excuse.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast