Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

vCash
    Phil Hersh says Evan won't compete this year and will announce tomorrow: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/410274541848756224

.@EvanLysacek will officially announce Tuesday he is not going to compete this season

vCash
    Not surprising, but best of luck to Evan on his future endeavors, skating or otherwise.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Lysacek will be on the Today Show on Tuesday.

Not surprised that he will not compete this season. In early September, when it was announced that he had the slight abdominal tear (near the location where he had the surgery for the abdominal tear last season), I knew the chances of him competing this season were slim. Then, in late September, when he announced that he had the torn hip labrum, I knew the chance of him competing were slim to none. However, as a fan, I hoped and prayed for a miraculous recovery.

Evan was skating beautifully in July with no apparent residuals from his surgery last November. I had really hoped that he could stay healthy and compete this season. However, it was not meant to be. (Unfortunately, Evan has a history of being injury prone...had to WD from 2 GP finals and 2008 Worlds b/c of injury, & competed w/ stress fracture). My hope now is that Evan takes enough time to fully rehab the injuries.

Best wishes to Evan in his future endeavors.

vCash
    I expected this, and feeling very sad for Evan. Anyway, he tried and did his best to compete at the Olympics. It just was not meant to be. Fortunately he can be very proud over his skating achievements as he won every title that matters in skating: US National, GPF, Worlds and Olympic champion. So far there has been in the whole world only 23 Olympic champions in men´s figure skating and different persons winning that title even less.
    Last edited by Jaana; 12-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Lysacek will be on the Today Show on .
    The Today Show seems to have become the place for skaters to announce their retirements and future plans, won't be surprised if Evan was offered some sort of position with Team USA as they make final preparations for Sochi.

vCash
    They just showed Evan...he doesn't look too happy.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    They are dragging this out into the 2nd hour - they've "teased" it several times, showing Evan sitting waiting...
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Evan to appear on TODAY Show in 16 minutes' time - at 8:16AM EST, to be exact. He has a big announcement to make - "a game changer," according to show host Matt Lauer (as if he were the great expert of current men's skating...ha-ha).

Not 8:15AM....not 8:17AM....exactly at 8:16AM, as per on-screen clock. LOL!

I'm wondering if it may be something slicghtly different from what we expect (the retirement) - maybe to say that he & USFSA will be petitioning to allow him to skate only the Team Event in Sochi?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Watching the TODAY show right now (and watching the snow ) They keep showing Evan and he's not smiling or coming across as positive. AT ALL.

vCash
    Interview just ended: EVAN WILL NOT COMPETE IN SOCHI (or anything leading up to it). FOCUS ON GETTING HEALTHY. NO retirement plans yet.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Interview just ended: EVAN WILL NOT COMPETE IN SOCHI (or anything leading up to it). FOCUS ON GETTING HEALTHY. NO retirement plans yet.
    Shock?

No retirement plans? He can't make it to 2018, and it doesn't appear he's had any interest in non-Olympic competitions, at least this quad. I guess it is a good sign for figure skating that the Today show thought the announcement was worth broadcasting.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 12-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    The biggest problem the US men have right now aside from some being very "green," is that the rest cannot consistently put together 2 solid programs to climb up the ranks and onto the podiums regularly. And no matter how beautifully they skate, if they can't keep it together in the big events, they will not receive the awards and recognition that many think they deserve. You have to look no further than Jeremy Abbott to see how that inconsistency can hurt a skating career.
    The biggest problem with U.S. Men is that there aren't any. I looked at the results for 2013 South Atlantic Regionals and there were no men competing at the senior or novice level, and only 2 at the junior level. That was not the only region that had no men competing at the higher levels.

Johnny and Evan's Olympic aspirations were not as unrealistic as they sounded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The biggest problem with U.S. Men is that there aren't any. I looked at the results for 2013 South Atlantic Regionals and there were no men competing at the senior or novice level, and only 2 at the junior level. That was not the only region that had no men competing at the higher levels.
    The men often are byed to Sectionals if there are 4 or fewer registered to compete. 6 Novice men registered for South Atlantics but all were byed to Easterns this year.

I started a new news thread: Due to injury, Lysacek will not compete in the 2013-14 Olympic season
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The men often are byed to Sectionals if there are 4 or fewer registered to compete. 6 Novice men registered for South Atlantics but all were byed to Easterns this year.

I started a new news thread: Due to injury, Lysacek will not compete in the 2013-14 Olympic season
    Then why would they have 2 men competing at juniors? Why not give them a bye also?

vCash
    Skaters (and teams) have the choice to compete or not if there are 4 or fewer registered. Some prefer to save money if it's an expensive trip; others may want to test out their programs and check their levels, etc.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Skaters (and teams) have the choice to compete or not if there are 4 or fewer registered. Some prefer to save money if it's an expensive trip; others may want to test out their programs and check their levels, etc.
    It's worth noting, you have to make this choice before you know how many other people are registered and what their decisions are. At, least, that is how the forms used to be set up. They don't call you and ask if you still want to skate, you check it on the form when you register.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Johnny commented a few weeks ago that there is alot of emotion involved in a retirement decision. I imagine Evan can only process one at a time and it was too emotional to actually announce retirement. Maybe we will still see him in Japan Open or something like that

vCash
    Evan needs to retire. He will be 29 next year and will not have competed in over 4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Evan needs to retire. He will be 29 next year and will not have competed in over 4 years.
    Do you feel that he should retire from skating or just retire from competing?

vCash
    Competing. He can do shows and not have to worry about pushing his body so much.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast