Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    1-minute promo video tweeted by @RalphLauren today:

"Get to know @EvanLysacek, 2010 figure skating Olympic champion and RL athlete of the week #MeetTeamUSA"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVGYUlp9Law
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Based on Brown's scores this season in comparison to other men, I don't think a quad will be necessary.
    But he has to land ALL his triple axels I think. (Fingers and toes crossed for him to do so.)

vCash
    Phil Hersh @olyphil just tweeted:
    @EvanLysacek agent tells me “nothing to report at this time” on whether skater will do 1 of last 2 possible qualifying events.

@USFigureSkating tells me rules won’t be changed for @EvanLysacek to do qualifier after nationals. Last possibility next week in Ukraine
    (Ukrainian Open is Dec. 18-21.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-02-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: To add second tweet
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the document USFS presented to USOC WRT the selection process, to be eligible for consideration, an athlete must meet the following criteria: 1. Have a passport that won't expire until a minimum of six months after the end of the OG 2. Meet IOC criteria 3. Be age-eligible by ISU standards 4. Have the TES minimums and 5. Be a member of USFS in good standing. Within those parameters, there are criteria for automatic consideration (1-5 at Nationals), injury byes (with a lot of requirements about monitoring, schedules, etc.) -- obviously not applicable were he to finish the competition -- and the possibility of placing lower than 5th, but having strong international results.

Later in the document, it says that the committees/bodies that select and approve the athletes will begin to meet on 12 January 2014, and that it will present the list of nominees to USOC by 14 January 2014. The only thing in the document that seems to contradict this is if a slate of nominees cannot be approved by that time. ("The above process will be repeated until a slate receives approval by a majority vote of the International Committee.")

According to the approved selection process, Lysacek will not be eligible for consideration if he hasn't completed all five basic eligibility requirements when the committee meets. If you can find a loophole that doesn't need USOC approval, go for it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Crossing my fingers & toes that Evan makes it to Nationals (he's worked so hard for one last chance, as has Evgeni) and skates his heart out, and may the chips fall where they may.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No. He was told explicitly that he needed the score pre-Nationals. He has not yet got it. He won't show up at Nationals.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    The U.S. Federation cannot waive the ISU's required Technical Score requirement, so it would not matter if Evan places in the top two at Nationals. If he doesn't get the ISU required Tech Scores before Nationals, any hope for him to compete in Sochi is zero.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I think this quote from his agent step Goldberg speaks volumes
    "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."
    Reading between the lines of PR/agent-speak, I'm taking this as a pretty clear signal that we won't be seeing Evan back in competition.

vCash
    Evan might score the required minimum, but given this past year of injury will he then be in condition to be the best competitor at the Olympics? I don't see a US man who is likely to be on the podium, but Rippon, Aaron, Brown or Farris would strengthen the team for 2018 by giving them invaluable exposure and experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    But he has to land ALL his triple axels I think. (Fingers and toes crossed for him to do so.)
    Yeah, Brown will have an uphill battle to get a silver, but I think it is in the realm of possibility.
    If Lysacek showed up skating Vancouver form (no quad)- he'd be national champion (I mean, that was good enough for an Olympic medal) no matter how many quads the other skaters land. But can he skate at that level still?

But I don't see Lysacek showing up.

Without a doubt, he'd get the minimum if he went to a senior B, but he's got to go.

vCash
    I would suspect that Lysacek would be monitored this week (or was monitored last week) if he was to go out to the last Sr B.

But, as others have posted, based upon Shep's comment, I think the writing is on the wall. Evan LOVES competition, but he likes to be in fighting shape. And, I think Shep is laying the ground work for Evan not competing in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by alilou:

I think this quote from his agent step Goldberg speaks volumes
    "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."

vCash
    Agree with B. Cooper, that statement from Shep is pretty ominous. I have a feeling we'll know later this week what the deal is with Evan.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Phil Hersh's latest is titled, predictably, "Why Evan Lysacek still is the talk of U.S. men's skating": http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...59,full.column
    Excerpt:
    Within days, we are likely to find out what long has seemed like a foregone conclusion: that Evan Lysacek has given up the attempt to defend his Olympic figure skating title.

There are those who ask why there still is so much attention, from sponsors and the media, on an injury-plagued 28-year-old who has not competed since the 2010 Olympics and has just one event left in which to get the 2014 Olympic qualifying score.

The answer lies in the results.

They show that no U.S. man – and only a few in the world – has been as consistently good internationally under the sport’s new judging system as Lysacek was from 2005 through the Vancouver Winter Games.
    Aaron and Jason Brown, senior Grand Prix rookies this season, each has one podium in two events and a very poor free skate in the other. Another promising rookie, reigning world junior champion Joshua Farris, was fifth in his debut event and withdrew from the second with an injury.

When you add that all up, it doesn’t amount to much in terms of Olympic medal contention. In fact, it shows the sum of all the parts doesn’t come close to adding up to a less-than-whole Lysacek.

Say all you want about the beautiful skating Abbott and Rippon produce at their best and that Brown, still just 18 and lacking a consistent triple axel, has used to dazzle audiences. Figure skating is a competitive sport, and they keep score, so the bottom line is results trump everything else.

For years, Evan Lysacek was the ace.

vCash
    I wouldn't exactly call Brown's FS at SkAm "very poor"...it wasn't great, but it wasn't a total flop. And I don't think Aaron's had any total flops this year either. He hasn't skated well, but he hasn't totally flopped.

And Lysacek wishes he ever skated as beautifully as Farris' Schindler's List.

Hersh, stop trying to make "Lysacek as the greatest American male skater" happen. Newsflash: even if he did show at Nationals, he would struggle to make top five. Why? Because there are now a bunch of guys younger, hungrier, and BETTER.

vCash
    I think Phil makes a point - since Vancouver, no US man has consistently caught fire and built the momentum that makes repeated news outside the skating community during a good part of this Olympic cycle. Evan is not news (not as far as I'm concerned) but he stays in the spotlight because there's no one to replace him in the broader public awareness.

Many of the US men have their fans and certainly their strengths but no one keeps putting it together to dominate or even better, no two men keep it together long enough to form a great sustained rivalry. Phil is talking about public perception and the void that has been created in US men's skating over the last four years - every time we get hopeful and nominate someone to step into that space, he doesn't seem to sustain the wins over a longer term or is very choppy in achievement.

It will change, the skating environment always changes (I've been watching for over 50 years); either some of our promising men will really step up or other names will come along. I remember when no one had ever heard the name Weir or Lysacek or even Scott Hamilton. It's always interesting to watch it change, slowly or quickly, but change from Olympic cycle to cycle.

In terms of change, if you recall it wasn't that very long ago that the Russians had everything but a great bench of women - now...
    Last edited by Willowway; 12-05-2013 at 09:29 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    After winning World bronze in 2005 and 2006, Lysacek dropped to 5th in 2007 and missed 2008 Worlds. Weir was the reigning Worlds bronze medalist going into 2009. Lysacek had the momentum going into Vancouver, with the 2009 title and 2009 GPF gold while Weir was inconsistent, missing 2009 Worlds, but he wasn't dominant throughout the cycle. Obviously no US Man came into this cycle with Lysacek's credentials, and with the two strongest US men bowing out of most of it, it's been an open field in which US Men were all over the map. Only Abbott gets the kind of PCS consistently where he can be in the high teens in TES and top six in PCS and very close to the leaders in PCS.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't think it's fair for Hersh to compare Jason and Max with Evan, it took many years for Evan to reach the top step on the senior podium, Jason and Max should be given the same chance to grow. After all it took Evan 7 years to become senior national champion, Max did it on his second try.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I don't think it's fair for Hersh to compare Jason and Max with Evan, it took many years for Evan to reach the top step on the senior podium, Jason and Max should be given the same chance to grow. After all it took Evan 7 years to become senior national champion, Max did it on his second try.
    If you read the entire article, and not just the excerpt that Sylvia posted, Hersh stated that the current US men skaters were either: (1) very inconsistent, or (2) "too new to the senior level to have establish a tract record." The later category would include Max, Jason, and Joshua. Those skaters, if they remain healthy, have the ability to have very successful competitive careers.

vCash
    Willowway entire post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    If you read the entire article, and not just the excerpt that Sylvia posted, Hersh stated that the current US men skaters were either: (1) very inconsistent, or (2) "too new to the senior level to have establish a tract record." The later category would include Max, Jason, and Joshua. Those skaters, if they remain healthy, have the ability to have very successful competitive careers.
    thanks for letting me know what else was said, I tried but couldn't get the article to open on my Cellphone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call Brown's FS at SkAm "very poor"...it wasn't great, but it wasn't a total flop. And I don't think Aaron's had any total flops this year either. He hasn't skated well, but he hasn't totally flopped.

And Lysacek wishes he ever skated as beautifully as Farris' Schindler's List.

Hersh, stop trying to make "Lysacek as the greatest American male skater" happen. Newsflash: even if he did show at Nationals, he would struggle to make top five. Why? Because there are now a bunch of guys younger, hungrier, and BETTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    ITA with both of you, although I don't think its fair to put Evan down or compare him with anyone else, or pump him up as the sole talented and determined U.S. man to have consistently accomplished things internationally pre or post Vancouver Olympics. There have been other accomplishments by a bevy of talented U.S. male skaters on the junior and senior levels. I do also agree in essence with Willoway's post. However, Phil Hersh often speaks in general and simplistic terms. Figure skating is a cyclic sport and things are always in constant flux. Its not an easy sport to participate in, to follow, or to write about. Phil is taking a particular generalized approach that is more of the moment and covers complexities with a broad brush. There's absolutely nothing wrong with stating the fact that Evan is part of the conversation because no other U.S. man has been able to step up in a forcefully consistent way internationally over the past four years. But there are complex reasons for that as well, having to do with USFS selection process, individual athlete challenges, the problematic quad and the current CoP landscape. ITA that in particular, Jason and Max are still young up-and-comers so they haven't had the chance to fully show what they are capable of achieving over the long haul.

ITA that Jason Brown's fp was not "very poor," at SA. Jason was clearly nervous at SA in the fp and he made uncharacteristic errors as a result, but it was not a horrible skate. As a positive, he learned from that experience and he shined his next opportunity out on the GP at TEB. I am glad that Jason has had the opportunity to develop at a steady pace, and I hope his joy, his learning process and his steady improvement continue. If that includes an opportunity to be on the Olympic team in 2014, great. If it doesn't, I'm sure he'll be even more inspired to continue to work hard toward his goals and enjoy the process every step of the way. I'm also very happy for Adam Rippon that he's made a strong comeback this season with his new coach, that actually started at Nationals 2012. Adam has one of the best (perhaps the best) free programs of all the men this season. I wish Adam much continued success, and to all the U.S. hopefuls, I wish they will have a great experience in Boston. As always, the chips will fall the way they fall.

The U.S. has a wealth of talent among the men which is complicated, IMO, by the antiquated rules and processes that govern the sport. The athletes need better training strategies and frankly more competitive opportunities. I don't think we should blame the athletes for the fact that it's impossible to gain international experience and build momentum when it's so difficult to get to Worlds every year. I guess the thing is to not get discouraged and to struggle mightily, to persevere, to believe, to triumph or to learn in defeat, and to just accept what happens when it happens. And then to decide again what you want, and what you're willing to give and to do for what you want.

Phil Hersh plays his role, and he writes his opinions and that's fine (agree or disagree) but what Phil Hersh says or believes, and of course what any of us say or believe (whether based on statistics or personal predictions) does not determine what exists in the heart of any athlete.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-06-2013 at 12:56 AM.

vCash
    So when is D day, the last date that Evan can do what he needs to do to compete at US Nationals?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast