Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The QR score wouldn't have covered the SP score, only the FS score. Had there not be QR rounds in 2012, they would have let him directly into the SP. Plushenko had no excuse for not earning the scores in the then current season any more than Lysacek has for this season (at least so far), since both suffered injuries. The ISU wanted Plushenko to compete. They gave him the exception.

Besides, I was speaking to their being a process, since the Russian Fed used it.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    well, quad or no quad, I hope Evan is able to compete.
    I hope so as well.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    With the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia just three months away, the figure skating world has been abuzz wondering whether reigning gold medalist Evan Lysacek will be able to fully recover from injuries in time.
    After a recent grueling day of training, Lysacek spoke to Motor Trend about his cars. We found out that if Lysacek had gone with his early childhood passion, the world might not have seen him on the ice, but rather on a racetrack. But when he was growing up near Chicago, he says he didn't know how to get into auto racing.
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c..._evan_lysacek/

Golden Spin of Zagreb (Dec. 5-8) no longer has a TBA USA men's entry listed.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Only 15 men and 27 women, among them, Miki Ando

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c..._evan_lysacek/

Golden Spin of Zagreb (Dec. 5-8) no longer has a TBA USA men's entry listed.
    "He has at least one international competition to enter before the end of the year and continues to train for nationals in January." Interesting. Have his plans changed?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If Lysacek intends to compete, Ukrainian Open (Dec. 18-21) in Kiev is the last international competition before Nationals that he could enter.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Are there any internationals Evan could enter after Nationals and before the deadline in January?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    Are there any internationals Evan could enter after Nationals and before the deadline in January?
    There is a Senior B after Nationals and before the January deadline. However, per Philip Hersh, a USFSA spokesperson stated that Lysacek had to earn the minimum score before Nationals.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From Phil Hersh's November 13 article: http://trib.in/1hFQ4Hd
    U.S. Figure Skating spokeswoman Renee Felton said Wednesday the reigning men’s figure skating champion must get those marks [Olympic minimum scores] before the U.S. Championships, at which the senior events begin Jan. 9 in Boston.

Felton added that Lysacek is eligible to compete in Boston but cannot be considered for the Olympic team without having achieved the qualifying scores. USFS will announce the Olympic team Jan. 12 and forward the names Jan. 14 to the U.S. Olympic Committee for its signoff.
    "Evan is back training and talking to USFS about what event to enter," his agent, Shep Goldberg, said Wednesday. "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."

vCash
    From NBC's Olympic sports reporter on twitter:

‏@nzaccardi49m
    Golden Spin figure skating, which starts Thurs and whose entry deadline was 11/10, says it would still allow US to enter skater if it wants.
    However, if Lysacek was planning to enter you think we would have heard something by now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    There is a Senior B after Nationals and before the January deadline. However, per Philip Hersh, a USFSA spokesperson stated that Lysacek had to earn the minimum score before Nationals.
    Anyone want to be that if Evan places first or second at Nationals he will get a 'waiver' dependent on him getting the required score. The selection committee won't leave him at home if he can get the spot especially considering the year our men seem to be having...... USFSA has those rules vague for a reason and "statements' have been made before that mean nothing LOL!

I am not sure he will even show up at Nationals, but... if he does and places he will be on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I am not sure he will even show up at Nationals, but... if he does and places he will be on the team.
    No. He was told explicitly that he needed the score pre-Nationals. He has not yet got it. He won't show up at Nationals.

vCash
    The selection committee won't leave him at home if he can get the spot especially considering the year our men seem to be having......
    Oh right, because the injured guy who can't even show up at a Senior B is likely to do so much better than the handful of guys who got medals on the GP.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    The U.S. Federation cannot waive the ISU's required Technical Score requirement, so it would not matter if Evan places in the top two at Nationals. If he doesn't get the ISU required Tech Scores before Nationals, any hope for him to compete in Sochi is zero.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    But the ISU doesn't require the tech score before nationals, just before the Olympics.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    As someone who remembers the Skate Canada in Victoria where Lambiel skated dismally in both segments and came from 7th to win, there are competitions where no one seems to allow themselves to win. Lysacek was never one of those skaters, even when he was sub-par. If Lysacek couldn't do Senior B's and still managed to beat men who got medals at GP, it's hard to imagine that their nerves would be under better control at the Olympics than his. I think if he showed up at Nationals in any shape, he might place as high as second if the pressure got to the rest of the field.

I don't think he'll skate at Nationals, though.

ETA: the IOC deadline is 27 January 2014. The USFS deadline is earlier. If it was submitted to the USOC as part of the selection process, USFS can't simply allow a provisional appointment with Lysacek competing in one of Senior B's between US Nats and the IOC deadline to earn the minimum. USOC would have to agree to the change as well. I don't see very much exception language or leeway in the USOC-approved selection process for qualifying. There's leeway in the selection language.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    If he shows up and places first or second he will be allowed to go get his required score. There is no way that the USFSA is not sending IF he gets 1st or 2nd. And I don't think there is a real risk of him not getting the scores if he places 1st or 2nd. I dare say what we have heard does not reflect what has gone on behind the scenes. So I can see them giving his name to USOC and sending him off to some small comp where compared to the competition he gets better scores then he might have at a GP event (see Plushy's Volvo score. ).

Now I don't think he will show especially if he does not have all his jumps etc.... That said I am not sure a quad is going to be an absolute to get at least 2nd. US may not have two top men with a reliable quad at nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Oh right, because the injured guy who can't even show up at a Senior B is likely to do so much better than the handful of guys who got medals on the GP.
    Well, sadly I think it is a risk. Personally I want Rippon and Brown, but..... I can see nerves hitting both of them based on past history. Brown will absolutely have to land ALL his Triple Axels and Rippon will have to deliver.

The thing about Evan is he is a great competitor. Like it or not he tends to deliver

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I think this quote from his agent step Goldberg speaks volumes
    "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    That said I am not sure a quad is going to be an absolute to get at least 2nd. US may not have two top men with a reliable quad at nationals.
    Based on Brown's scores this season in comparison to other men, I don't think a quad will be necessary.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast