Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Another Evan article. http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...g-champs-camp/

I think in regards to what Frank is saying, we have to remember that this is the same Frank Carroll who essentially made Linda Frantianne believe and persist in the belief that she had an OGM "stolen" from her by judge manipulation. I tend to take what Frank says with a BIG grain of salt...
    So, a sports hernia and a groin injury. Okay, that's definitely not fun, but I don't think that's even the most serious injury someone is coming back from this season (Yrétha Silété is returning from a torn ACL + other ligament and meniscus damage) let alone ever. I'm sorry he's in pain, though, which I'd say about any skater; quite a few have pushed themselves to compete despite being in pain and dealing with injuries, rehab and chronic conditions.

As for Frank Carroll, I agree, but not everyone takes him with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Well, I think it's okay to say, no one works harder than Evan Lysacek. What is not really okay to say is, "Evan Lysacek works harder than anyone else." Because, I think a lot of athletes work AS HARD as Evan, but if Evan is working to the maximum of his abilities, then it means that Evan personally can't work any harder than he already is, which is fine, I'd believe it. But to assume that other athletes aren't working to the maximum of their own abilities comes off as foolish and misguided, because there is no real way for Frank to know how hard athletes he doesn't work with are working.
    Well, he can't say for sure if nobody works harder than Evan, because that's hard to quantify; what if someone else's maximum is greater? But I do think this is true in general, and I'd add that Evan probably works more effectively than many people, considering how much he's gotten out of his natural ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    He has GOT to be joking, right?!

Why, just a few days ago, video circulated of Plushenko doing quads again after having disc replacement surgery, and whatever is "wrong" with Lysacek this time, I doubt it is on that scale!
    I'd like to see that Vid, because on July 25th he said he didn't even have the triple axel back:

"The next step is the triple Axel,” he said, meaning that he will work on it in Tartu."

and

"The skater did not perform the program with the content that is planned for later, however, he included a triple toe, double Axel and a double Lutz (but did a triple Lutz in practice)."

http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/07/p...training-camp/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I'd like to see that Vid, because on July 25th he said he didn't even have the triple axel back:
    The news video was posted in the Russian news thread on August 19: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3976557
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. So I wonder if he has the triple axel back now too?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Yes, see the new GSD thread I just started. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...le-Axels-again
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Another article on Lysacek at Champs Camp: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/23/58052748
    Excerpt:
    In Sochi, it will be nearly impossible to land on the Olympic podium without a quad. At Champs Camp, U.S. champion Max Aaron said he planned three in his free skate and at least one in his short. Lysacek accepted the necessity of including the jump, but it didn't seem to make him happy.

"Oh, the quad," he [Lysacek] said with a chuckle. "Who knows, I've seen some funny stuff this season, I have to tell you. Four, five, six quads. It will be funny to see some of the guys, how they try them. If you try it and go down, it's still worth more than a triple."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-23-2013 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Ur quads are also worth more than most triples! Good thing too!! But at US nationals 2010 when he fell on an ur quad the value of that instead of being 0 might have been 4.20!

vCash
    I'm amazed at that some people here seem to "want" Evan to "fail"; or would take pleasure if he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm amazed at that some people here seem to "want" Evan to "fail"; or would take pleasure if he did.
    I think we will always see that take place when someone who is "older" and "retired/not retired" attempts a comeback. I think I've read similar musings about Plushenko.

Me, I just wish them good luck but more than that, I wish them good health.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I don't like posts of that kind about any skater, at any time.

vCash
    I don't like posts of that kind about any skater, at any time.
    A good solution is to put certain posters on the ignore list...

vCash
    ^^^
    There are some threads that would have nothing in them.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    ^^^

vCash
    ^^^
    In that case one would not need to read them, LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I agree with Olivia. I cannot see why the 'older' competitors should not compete if they feel that they are competitive, healthy and motivated enough to do so. Evan and Rachael are not the only ones who is returning to competition, afterall (so is Plushenko). I think, the 'more the merrier' because it can only make the competition more exciting and competitive.
    I agree with all these related posts, but do hope that any and all withdrawals (Evan or otherwise) end up with substitutes. IMO that is when it begins to be "unfair."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    In that case one would not need to read them, LOL.
    I prefer to practice self-control and restraint by, on occasion, reading those threads!

vCash
    Funny thing with regard to Evan:
    I recently watched some of my old Jr Worlds DVDs from the past 15 years, including the three years in which Evan won 'only' the silver medal (01, 03 and 04). Just watching these three events, one can appreciate how Evan evolved from a little boy with braces in '01 to a more mature jr skater in 03, to a beautiful stylist by 2004, on the verge of taking the world by storm in his first Olympics in 2006. As I think about Evan's planned return to elite competition skating now, I can't help but remember and replay the footage of an interview in '03 -- following a one-year break in which he almost quit the sport -- where he says how he 'now' dreams of representing the US in an Olympics. If I find it on YouTube, I'll post. Absolutely precious footage to watch now that we know that not only were his dreams achieved twice (two Olympics, at least) but that he won the whole enchilada in 2010.

Looking forward to a Battle Royale in Boston, as Evan tries to earn one of the US Men's two spots. I shudder to think of what he's up against (Adam, Jason, Jeremy, Max, Joshua, Ross, Ricky...yikes). Hey, may the two best men win!
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-29-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Recent articles/videos (some reposted from other threads):

1. Father's Illness Provides Evan Lysacek more resolve: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/3291453/

2. Lysacek Doing Doubles, Triple Jumps in Practice: http://news.yahoo.com/lysacek-doing-...9891--spt.html

3. P&G, Raising and Olympian, Thank You Mom video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CqP...ature=youtu.be

4. Citi, Every Step of the Way video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQTHQE1hicU

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Looking forward to a Battle Royale in Boston, as Evan tries to earn one of the US Men's two spots. I shudder to think of what he's up against (Adam, Jason, Jeremy, Max, Joshua, Ross, Ricky...yikes). Hey, may the two best men win!
    Don't forget Alexander Johnson and Stephen Carriere.

vCash
    I must have been way out of the loop; I didn't know Evan's father had been sick. Sorry to hear that.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast