Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Naperville's Lysacek begins long climb toward Sochi:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/707249653/

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Oh, was Wagner considered a Russophil Swan like Weir?
    Maybe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Naperville's Lysacek begins long climb toward Sochi:
    http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/707249653/
    Yet, with the next Olympics 6½ months away, Lysacek is taking aim at defending his title, something no male figure skater has done since 1952.

Lysacek, who grew up and begin his early career in Naperville, embraces the idea of making history; Dick Button was the last repeat men's Olympic champion. He embraces being back on the ice in any capacity even more.
    Lysacek will surely make great history if he can defend his title and I don't think it's impossible given he's a very driven and consistent skater. Would be interesting if history repeats itself ie. gold to Lysacek and silver to Plushenko. In this instance, I will give the chance to Lysacek since his injury is less severe than Plushenko's. Battle of the Olympic gold titans! That itself will surely sell many tickets. Imagine three OGM medallists fighting for the podium. Yuna has a very good chance of defending her title too given what we saw recently.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Part of what i like about the Olympics is since it's every 4 years usually you have new teams and skaters come every Olympics. But this Olympics seems to have more Olympic champions and medalists coming back then i can remember. Not sure if i like that.

vCash
    ^^^
    Tell that to Dick Button, Katarina Witt, Carol Heiss, etc.

vCash
    Couple of other articles:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ting-comeback/

http://msn.foxsports.com/ice_skating...g-title-072413

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/out-of-...ochi-1.1381906

And I'm truly shocked and surprised that there are no comments on any of the articles from our own caseyedwards lamenting Evan's 2010 victory and how it was inappropriate because he was "quad-less." Casey, you are slipping...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    The NBC article is unique but all the other links are the ap article which has in it the idea of upgrading to quads. The articles are different. The writers are saying quads will be necessary and not lysacek was complete and did everything like all the articles from after 2010.

vCash

vCash
    Thanks SkateFan. He is quite handsome, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing him on the ice again and seeing how his skating has developed since 2010.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted by @EvanLysacek today:
    "So tired... Is it really only Wednesday. Working overtime on a new Freeskate for this season. Music announcement coming soon."

His FS that he never competed last season was "Samson and Delilah" by Camille Saint-Saens - now replaced by "TBA" in his Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100081&mode=I
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-15-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: To add his bio link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted by @LynnRutherford:

Champs Camp: Evan Lysacek is skating both his short program and free skate for officials today.

"Champs Camp: Inspired by the clean lines & elegance of John Curry Evan Lysacek has selected Don Quixote for his FS" http://twitpic.com/d9lsuk

Tweeted by USFS:

Evan Lysacek and Frank Carroll hit the Mixed Zone. http://pic.twitter.com/Pu7MpeLZEw

Lysacek "feels good" and appreciative to be able to be on the ice every day.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-22-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    And if you have forgotten how Curry did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djadlQLK_ow

vCash
    I would totally agree with Evan that this performance, and program, by John Curry is a worthy inspiration. Look at the stillness of Curry's shoulders throughout and the gorgeous control he has over his arms (lots of ballet time there). It's amazingly beautiful and difficult - if Evan is planning on more of this, good for him. Controlled arms - I vote for it!

vCash
    So no Spider Monkey program this year??? And to think I just finished sewing the tail onto the costume!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    He looks dashing!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Evan Lysacek's Road to Sochi Starts to Get Serious:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...medium=twitter

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Excerpt from the article linked above:
    "We're at the trial and error stage," coach Frank Carroll said. "He's recovering from his injuries and his surgeries which were a lot more extensive than a lot of people know. It's getting better and better but he is in pain and he has to be very careful with how much he does. I don't know in figure skating if someone has tried to come back from that level of injury."

In other words, don't expect an Olympic gold medal performance when Lysacek competes at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City on Sept. 12-14.

"I think he will contend. He'll go to Salt Lake and skate well, skate decently but that's it," Carroll said. "Today we don't expect the world. In a couple of months we expect him to be much, much better and 100% by the Olympics."

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The realist in me says they are just setting things up for when he begins his withdrawals, leading all the way up to his withdrawal from Nationals.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash

Oh, Evan. He doesn't even hold a tea candle to Curry. And no one has even come close to his standard of Don Quixote.

I think his window has passed. He went all out at the right time, clearly, but I think it's time he hung up his gloves. As much as everyone takes him so seriously, we do have to remember that for the past 3 seasons Lysacek withdrew on and off between events, and yes he may have been injured, but I think there's a point where he needs to stop. I just think it's so unfair to so many people. He will never be at the same level he was in 2010, and it would be nice if he took a step back and let younger, less accomplished skaters a chance at international experience, and even perhaps an Olympic one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post

Oh, Evan. He doesn't even hold a tea candle to Curry. And no one has even come close to his standard of Don Quixote.

I think his window has passed. He went all out at the right time, clearly, but I think it's time he hung up his gloves. As much as everyone takes him so seriously, we do have to remember that for the past 3 seasons Lysacek withdrew on and off between events, and yes he may have been injured, but I think there's a point where he needs to stop. I just think it's so unfair to so many people. He will never be at the same level he was in 2010, and it would be nice if he took a step back and let younger, less accomplished skaters a chance at international experience, and even perhaps an Olympic one.
    Please explain what is "so unfair to so many people" about Evan competing this season? I have never understood the logic of stepping back when figure skating, like all other SPORTS, is about competition. In what other sport do competitors take a step back so that other athletes can have their turn? Really. This is the most ridiculous of all arguments I have heard. Let Evan try. Let Rachael Flatt try. Let all competitors young and old try. That's what competition is about. Let the best skater win.

O-

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast