Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Please note: I said MASTER, not HAD. He had it, but it never seemed like a comfortable jump for him.
    You stated that, after the layoff, it would be hard for Lysacek to master a skill (the quad) that he never really had. Thus, you did state that Lysacek never really had the quad. However, prior to the stress fracture, Lysacek frequently included the quad in his programs. I previously listed some of Lysacek's successful quad attempts. You can add to that list successful quads landed at 2007 Skate America, 2007 Cup of China, and 2007 Grand Prix Final. He did not have success with the quad in the 2008 Grand Prix events, as he struggled with several jumps that season. However, later that season he landed his last 4T in competition at 2009 4CC. Lysacek took the quad out before the 2009 WC because of the stress fracture. After the stress fracture, during the 2009-10 season, Lysacek did not practice the quad enough to get it consistent enough for competition. Just because Lysacek did not attempt a quad at the 2009 WC or 2010 Olympics, some people believe that he never had a quad jump.

vCash
    I'm more interested to see if he's finally learned to stop both pre & under rotating his triple axels...

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    You stated that, after the layoff, it would be hard for Lysacek to master a skill (the quad) that he never really had. Thus, you did state that Lysacek never really had the quad. However, prior to the stress fracture, Lysacek frequently included the quad in his programs. I previously listed some of Lysacek's successful quad attempts. You can add to that list successful quads landed at 2007 Skate America, 2007 Cup of China, and 2007 Grand Prix Final. He did not have success with the quad in the 2008 Grand Prix events, as he struggled with several jumps that season. However, later that season he landed his last 4T in competition at 2009 4CC. Lysacek took the quad out before the 2009 WC because of the stress fracture. After the stress fracture, during the 2009-10 season, Lysacek did not practice the quad enough to get it consistent enough for competition. Just because Lysacek did not attempt a quad at the 2009 WC or 2010 Olympics, some people believe that he never had a quad jump.
    Not to speak for misskarne but she did say he had a "sketchy sometimes-quad," so I read her to post to say that the skill he had never mastered was a consistent quad, not a quad in general. Her post didn't deny that he had ever landed one, which I agree with you, would be unfair.

Generally I do think it's highly unlikely for someone to come out after a long layoff and be landing jumps they didn't land consistently in their prime. I don't think Shen & Zhao upgraded their throws or sbs jumps in 2010, and Gordeeva & Grinkov did not do a triple toe in 1994 (which they had been inconsistent with until their retirement in 1990). For the same reasons, I don't expect Weir or Lysacek to start landing consistent quads in both programs now, nor for Plushenko to have a consistent quad sal, which he has been trying out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Not to speak for misskarne but she did say he had a "sketchy sometimes-quad," so I read her to post to say that the skill he had never mastered was a consistent quad, not a quad in general. Her post didn't deny that he had ever landed one, which I agree with you, would be unfair.

Thankyou, that's what I meant.

vCash
    ^^ Hmmm, so you need an interpreter? Does that mean you haven't mastered the ability to be clear and say what you mean the first time!? Tsk, tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Please note: I said MASTER, not HAD. He had it, but it never seemed like a comfortable jump for him.
    I doubt any skater would describe a quad as a "comfortable jump." No matter how gorgeous Hanyu's and Javi's quads often look, I'd be surprised if they feel all that comfortable trying to ace quad-intensive programs.

In any case, no matter how wonky Lysacek's 3-axels usually are, the times he was successful landing quads, he looked pretty d**n good doing them, at least to my eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    in fact I rarely celebrate a repeat win - other than Dick Button & Irina Rodnina I don't think anyone who has repeated deserved either the 1st or the 2nd win. I don't know about the ones before my time though.
    Just curious, in the years Witt won the gold, who would you have had be the gold medalists? I'm assuming, of course, that she was during your time.

vCash
    Twitter:

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 8m
    Coca-Cola to use Oly champs Evan Lysacek (figs) and Ted Ligety (ski), legend Michelle Kwan and Para snowboarder Amy Purdy in Sochi promos

vCash
    Also from Twitter ( via Phil Hersh):

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    Evan Lysacek will likely do the US Intl in Salt Lake Sept. 12-15 as his comeback competition and warmup for Skate America

vCash
    ^^^
    Glad to hear this.

vCash
    International Figure Skating https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inter...292537?fref=ts
    Evan Lysacek plans to kick off his Olympic season at the senior B event in Salt Lake City this fall. Seems like an eternity since we last saw him in a competitive arena.

vCash
    For Evan fans what do you think he would be happy with this season. I think making the U.S Olympic team and coming top 6 at the Games would be a great result but I am wondering what you think Evan would be happy with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    For Evan fans what do you think he would be happy with this season. I think making the U.S Olympic team and coming top 6 at the Games would be a great result but I am wondering what you think Evan would be happy with.
    I would think making the Olympic team is a no brainer. However, grabbing a medal (of any color) is probably why he decided to comeback.

vCash
    Evan would be ectastic with a top 5 at the Games, and moderately happy with a top 8. I am pretty sure even he knows a medal is a huge long shot. A bronze would be a bigger thrill for him than his 2010 gold.

Making the team would be a relief as even that isnt certain if he returns.

vCash
    I think that if he competes in Sochi and skates his best, he has every reason to feel happy (what ever the result).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I think that if he competes in Sochi and skates his best, he has every reason to feel happy (what ever the result).
    I agree.

vCash
    i can see evan making the team.
    i can see max and evan making the team.

as far as other men skaters i think, richard, ross, jeremy, joshua , jason, alexander johnson, have a shot. brandon mroz. who else can possible compete with brian, patrick, michael, denis, yuzuru as well as the other japanese men of takiko kozuka, tahiko mura, nobunari, florent, maxim, evengy, arthur, konstantin-whichever russian man makes the team, javier, kevin. the
    u.s.a man would have to not only beat them indiviual but as well as team. i think some can do some of the indiviual but team no i cant see a few beating them.
    making the medal podium for individual isn't going to be easy possible a top 4-5 finish more realistic for u.s.
    i think evan has a chance of medaling easier than max despite not skating competivively for 4 years, possible no quad.
    if he come back like yuna and skates real well, he is the reigning olympic champ.
    i think max will have to beat evan at skate america to have a shot at keeping the u.s. title plus a shot at a medal at theolympics,

the u.s. men are good but not great. they need to be better than than was last year all around in jumps, pcs. can they make it up in a year? who knows, improve that much, who knows.
    i hope so.

vCash
    I think the 2 spots for the U.S men are pretty open. The only one with a firm heads up is Max, but I dont think he is a lock even. It isnt like Wagner, Gold, Davis & White, Chock & Bates, who are all locks or so it sems.

vCash
    Only lock to make the US team are Davis & White.

vCash
    I'd say Evan's a lock.(if he makes it to Nationals without injury) After that, one of either Miner or Aaron.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen was coming off a silver in Torino and she did not qualify for Vancouver. I don't think Evan is a lock. We haven't seen him since 2010, who knows...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast