Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

For Evan Lysacek, countdown to Sochi Games is on

USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/2390365/
    Excerpts:
    Lysacek said he's ready: "I'm feeling really good. From a physical standpoint I'm stronger than I've ever been." Lysacek said he's often in the gym longer than he's on the ice.

"Skating is a brutal sport," he said. "It's about strength, quickness, endurance and timing. It encompasses every element of physical strength."

The quad, especially so.

"It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way."
    Lysacek, who turned 28 Tuesday, is working on his free skate to the music of "Samson and Delilah," the same program he planned for last year but never performed due to the injuries. He's also in the process of picking music for a new short program and will meet with choreographer Lori Nichol early next month.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

vCash
    Wishing him the best; and that he will be able to perform as well as he hopes.
    eta: He doesn't deserve the reaction in the post, above.

vCash
    Glad to read that his recovery is going well. Looking forward to seeing him compete this season.

vCash
    He talks like it's impossible to be clean with a quad! It's a disgrace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He talks like it's impossible to be clean with a quad! It's a disgrace.
    Maybe he thinks it's impossible FOR HIM to be clean with a quad attempt; sounds like consistency of landing it is a problem for him.

vCash
    It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way."

Good luck, Evan. That worked out real well for Denis Ten last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    My focus is on (1) getting that quad in, but also (2) doing a clean program, and (3) not losing any points along the way."

Evan stated three areas that he was focusing on: quad, skate clean, not lose points. At 2013 Worlds, Denis did a great job on the first two areas (quad, skate clean); however, when he doubled intended triple jumps, he lost valuable points (area three).

vCash
    "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way."
    Maybe it's just semantics, but it seems kind of telling that he refers to the quad as "a dangerous trick" instead of "jump." Seems like he's kind of dismissing the quad as being less important or worthy than other jumps...like it's just a stunt or trick, and therefore less valid somehow.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-05-2013 at 07:56 PM.

vCash
    I can't shake the image that USFS is Charlie Brown and Evan is Lucy holding the football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    If Sochi works out for Evan the way things worked out for Ten last year (i.e., a silver), Evan will be doing a lot better than most people expect, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Maybe it's just semantics, but it seems kind of telling that he refers to the quad as "a dangerous trick" instead of "jump." Seems like he's kind of dismissing the quad as being less important or worthy than others jumps...like it's just a stunt or trick, and therefore less valid somehow.
    I completely disagree. Evan's words seem to indicate how difficult he considers the jump to be. He explains that, as a result of the quad, the sport is at a new level. How does that invalidate the importance of the quad?

Evan always seemed to be of the opinion that a clean, well-executed program with a full complement of jumps (save the quad) and high level elements could be competitive. He proved that at the 2010 Olympics. Now, Evan seems to be acknowledging that the quad has changed the game a bit, but still places importance on what he always has. Can Evan do well without the quad assuming he skates an otherwise flawless program with difficult elements? Who knows, but that seems to be his plan if he can't get a consistent quad.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I can't shake the image that USFS is Charlie Brown and Evan is Lucy holding the football.
    Evan is a name known outside of the skating world due to his Olympic gold medal and appearance on DWTS. He can bring a level of publicity or "glamour" that a relative unknown like Max Aaron or even a veteran like Jeremy Abbott cannot.

vCash

Maybe it's just semantics, but it seems kind of telling that he refers to the quad as "a dangerous trick" instead of "jump." Seems like he's kind of dismissing the quad as being less important or worthy than other jumps...like it's just a stunt or trick, and therefore less valid somehow.
    Evan has frequently referred to jumps, including the quad, as tricks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan has frequently referred to jumps, including the quad, as tricks.
    Thanks; I didn't know that.

vCash
    A few years ago, I believe it was 2008, Evan was all quad, quad, quad and now that he discovered how hard it is to maintain a quad, he's changed his tune. IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan stated three areas that he was focusing on: quad, skate clean, not lose points. At 2013 Worlds, Denis did a great job on the first two areas (quad, skate clean); however, when he doubled intended triple jumps, he lost valuable points (area three).
    And lost the world tittle

vCash
    Maybe he thinks it's impossible FOR HIM to be clean with a quad attempt; sounds like consistency of landing it is a problem for him.
    "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about."

Who said you can't be clean with a quad? Skaters do it every season! No clean without quad is pretty worthless even if it gets you Gold!! Clean really is nothing. You can be clean with all doubles? So what?

vCash
    I think Lysacek is capable of winning another medal. It will be interesting to see another showdown between the two OGMs - Plushenko and Lysacek, and this time in the home country of Plushenko.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I think that given Chan's dominance in the last years, Evan's lack of competing, Plushy's age and injuries, it will be very hard for either Evan or Plushy to win an Olympic gold or even an Olympic medal of any color.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast