Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Due to injury, Lysacek will not compete in the 2013-14 Olympic season

Lysacek just made the announcement on the TODAY show in an interview with Matt Lauer.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Article [and Today show video] for anyone who wants to read [and/or watch] it:
    http://www.today.com/sochi/exclusive...chi-2D11717316
    USFS' press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media

Associated Press article by Nancy Armour: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story...sochi-21159976

Lysacek finds himself at a career crossroads
    Beset by injuries, Olympic champ undecided on future plans
    Posted 12/10/13 by Amy Rosewater, special to icenetwork
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/10/64544584

Fellow athletes react to Lysacek's announcement: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/fell...s-announcement

Michelle Kwan: I've suffered Lysacek's injury, understand his pain: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...skating-121013
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-11-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: To edit in all the major article links of the day
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well, that didn't take as long as I expected. I was thinking he'd wait until after Christmas.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Thank goodness that he said it now. So NBC will have to alter the commercials for Nationals & Sochi. Evan seemed very gloomy, for someone usually so cool. He said that he hopes that his support team (including family, coaches and sponsors) continue to stick by him. When the host asked if this is the retirement, Evan did not really answer but said, instead, that his focus now is on getting healthy. "I don't want to end a fantastic career on this note."
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Is there a single poster here who believes that his Vancouver Olympic program ( IF he had re-skated it in Sochi) would have made the podium (or top 10)? This 'announcement' was nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QB View Post
    Is there a single poster here who believes that his Vancouver Olympic program ( IF he had re-skated it in Sochi) would have made the podium (or top 10)? This 'announcement' was nonsense.
    Maybe for we the 'experts' it is nonsense...but it IS a big deal for NBC and the entire 'Olympic p.r. machine.' They no longer have Evan as hyping material (like they had Sasha in the run-up to 2010). That said, I wish Evan well. I hope that he now moves on with his life and can be happy as the new post-skating Evan, even if it will be hard for the next couple of months.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

having a nice day
    vCash
    Oh yah big surprise. :-P
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    All the best Evan.

vCash
    Article for anyone who wants to read it:
    http://www.today.com/sochi/exclusive...chi-2D11717316

(Also- I edited my post in the other thread, but I take back my annoyance at Evan for announcing he won't compete in Sochi as if he were entitled to go. It turns out that phrasing and hyping is Today's "Reveals he won't compete in sochi" as the title of this article. What Evan actually "revealed" is he will no longer try to get to Sochi.)

vCash
    Twitter:

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 54m
    Very proud of a great champion, @EvanLysacek and his graceful bow-out of the Sochi Olympics this morning on @TODAYshow.
    EDIT:

Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi 38m
    Everything Lysacek said on Today + video of his interview ... http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ochi-olympics/

vCash
    USFS' press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media
    INJURY ENDS LYSACEK'S GOAL OF DEFENDING OLYMPIC TITLE IN SOCHI

(12/10/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that a hip injury will prevent him from defending his title at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Lysacek, 28, tore the labrum in his left hip in August. Despite aggressive treatment and physical therapy, the injury became more painful in the past month. Heeding his physician's advice that he is at risk of permanent damage, Lysacek will refrain from skating until the injury is completely healed, which could be several months.

"Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to not be able to compete in Sochi," Lysacek said. "The proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics. I have suffered numerous injuries over the course of my skating career and they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome. While none of my past injuries have sidelined me quite like this one, I remain determined to regain my health and skate again."

Lysacek, of Naperville, Ill., became the first American man in 22 years to win the Olympic title. In addition to that victory, Lysacek has won 10 major titles including a World championship (2009), two U.S. titles (2007, 2008) and the Grand Prix Final (2009), making him the most-decorated U.S. male skater of the past decade. He has not competed since winning the 2010 Olympic title in Vancouver.
    Glad to hear he will take the time to heal. Best wishes to Evan!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Associated Press article by Nancy Armour: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story...sochi-21159976
    Excerpt:
    Evan Lysacek woke up every morning praying this would be the day the excruciating pain in his left hip -- "like you're being electrocuted" -- would subside. And every day when he stepped on the ice, the searing throb of pain reminded him that passion alone can't fuel a dream.

The reigning Olympic figure skating champion announced Tuesday that a torn labrum in his left hip will keep him from competing in Sochi. After two months of aggressive treatment, doctors told Lysacek last week the injury was not going to improve and he was risking permanent damage if he kept training.

"This has been my entire life, training and representing my country," Lysacek told The Associated Press, pausing to fight back tears. "So it's just kind of difficult. As much as I knew it could go either way, I never accepted it wouldn't. I always thought it would work out. I was crushed. I am crushed."

Lysacek said he will have to take time off the ice for the injury to completely heal, and surgery remains a possibility.

"I'm going to have to put the same focus on recovery and getting healthy that I put into training," he said.
    Armour tweeted this morning:
    For those who questioned whether @EvanLysacek comeback real, wish you could have heard him yesterday. Truly devastated. Choked up numerous times
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QB View Post
    Is there a single poster who assumed he was doing the same program? (Oh wait, you did LOL!)

But that said, I think that program might have won Nationals. Sad but true I am not expecting much beyond a splat fest at Nationals. The fact that I realistically think Jason Brown could be on the team without even attempting a quad says it all about the state of our men. I don't know if it's physical or mental, but.... I am not hopeful.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I wasn't optimistic for him because of the number of injuries he's had during his comeback training, but I hate to see any athlete unable to pursue their goals due to injury. I hope he has a complete recovery. and if he doesn't compete again, that he finds something else that interests and challenges him.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I'm sad for him, because he clearly wanted to compete so much.

vCash
    I am not expecting a splat fest at US Nationals. I'm not anticipating perfection, but I am hoping at least a couple of guys rise to the challenge and skate their best. Whether that includes quads or not remains to be seen. But I think a couple will be landed successfully.

I'm not surprised by Evan's announcement. Good luck to him in the future.

Quadless
    vCash
    I'm really sorry to read that Evan is in so much pain and hope that he will have a complete recovery (both physically and psychologically - this must be quite a disappointment for him). I also hope that he will find a new career path that will capture his interest and drive in the same way figure skating has. He is a motivated, disciplined, intelligent young man, and I'm sure he will be successful in whatever he ultimately decides to pursue.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Armour tweeted this morning:
    For those who questioned whether @EvanLysacek comeback real, wish you could have heard him yesterday. Truly devastated. Choked up numerous times
    Ms. Armour, thanks for sharing that.

vCash
    I wasn't the biggest Evan fan in the past, but he's handled this with class and seemed very upfront about what was realistic and what wasn't for the season. It would be great if he could get healthy and try to compete next season, but even if he's done with that side of skating, it would be good to have him around in shows. Best of luck to him with the recovery!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    He really was choked up, and I think he was starting to cry when they cut away. Matt asked if he was retiring, and he said he needed to step back to rehab the injury, then he'd assess it. He wants to represent his country again, and he wants to retire on his own terms, not due to injury. I don't really expect to see him compete again, but stranger things have happened.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Thank goodness that he said it now. So NBC will have to alter the commercials for Nationals & Sochi. Evan seemed very gloomy, for someone usually so cool. He said that he hopes that his support team (including family, coaches and sponsors) continue to stick by him. When the host asked if this is the retirement, Evan did not really answer but said, instead, that his focus now is on getting healthy. "I don't want to end a fantastic career on this note."
    ?? He ended his fantastic career with a frickin' Olympic gold medal!! I don't think it gets a whole lot better than that. As to his comeback--well, a competitive comeback just never happened. Hopefully he can get whatever treatment he needs and continue to skate in shows/tours.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast