vCash

Attending skating events with infants

I'm considering going to TEB this year as it will likely be my last chance to see V&M, Yuna, and Patrick Chan in competition and the trip from my home in Stuttgart isn't very long. The complicating factor is that I'm expecting a baby in September who will be too young to stay at home with Dad for the long weekend. I'm wondering if any FSUers have taken young babies to skating events before and what your experience was. I'm thinking that at that age, he should pretty much just be eating and sleeping anyway and if he gets fussy I would certainly leave my seat so as not to disturb other fans. Am I crazy?

vCash
    My first thought is to say "Don't." Or at wait until after the baby is born to decide. You don't know what kind of baby you'll have, how established sleep/feeding patterns will be, if any, and how you'll adjust yourself after the birth. Also, bringing a newborn into a germ-riddled, crowded, noisy arena will be stressful for both of you. And no matter how well-behaved your baby might, there's always the chance that loud music or an eruption of cheers will startle him/her into crying/ Unless your seat is on the end of a row, you're going to disturb people when you get up to leave. You're also going to have to carry the baby and the baby paraphenalia (diaper bag, bottles, clothes, etc) with you and very often there isn't a lot of room under your seat. Chances are that you'll spend more time caring for your infant than watching the skating. So if there's ano way to leave the baby at home (or bring someone with you to watch the baby elsewhere while you're at the rink), I honestly think that you're better off skipping thie event.

Sorry if this is too blunt, but you did ask....
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Congratulations - I hope you'll have an easy delivery and a healthy baby

With regard to TEB, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with "don't do it", too. The seating at Bercy is fairly crowded and I doubt the arena is particularly parent and baby-friendly. You might want to wait and see if you and the baby are up to traveling before deciding (though I'm not sure how quickly the tickets will go with Yuna in the field) or - is there any chance that your partner might be able to travel with you and take care of the baby while you're watching the skating?

vCash
    I'd also say don't do it - there aren't great facilities for changing/feeding at Bercy, the arena can get quite cold, the seating is pretty cramped so I'm not sure there would be space for all the baby paraphenalia, and the baby would most likely be disturbed by the music & crowd cheering, as well as the possibility of you disrupting the people around you if you have to take the baby out mid-program.

If you do decide to do it, remember that you would have to buy a child ticket for every session as well - the Bercy site says everyone, no matter what age, has to have a ticket to enter. I'd agree with Zemgirl that your best option is to convince your partner to travel with you so he can look after the baby while you're watching the skating.

vCash
    Thanks for the advice! The line-up for TEB is so tempting, but I'll probably be more comfortable at home than at the rink anyway.

vCash
    Yeah i would skip-packing an infant diaper bag is no joke and you will just have to lug it and the baby around. Plus if you have to get up and down from your seat that will be a pain and very stressful as well. I know not everyone is like this but I was a wreck for like the first 5 months my son was alive every time I took him out in public. it was not fun for me.

Anyway congrats on your soon to be little bundle!!

vCash
    ...and big congrats to Jenifer for even considering other people's comfort and enjoyment of the event. You deserve every good thing that happens to you.

vCash
    First, congratulations on the baby!

Second, I'm afraid I'll have to add my voice to the chorus of "please don't!". It won't be comfortable for you, the baby, or anyone else in the arena.

But I would also like to thank you on behalf of skating fans (and skaters) everywhere for actually thinking about it! Trust me - having a baby or young child scream in the middle of your skate is NOT fun. (The bruise on my hip said so!)

I hope your TV will show TEB live for you.

vCash
    I would say 'don't' in general, but looking back I could probably have brought my baby anywhere until 3 months- he was just easy, non-crying, unfussy, didn't care about noise etc. But not every baby is like that!!
    However, I think I would still have worried about my baby making a fuss - enough to not going. Even the most easy baby has those days, and those times... and you don't want to have that.

It would depend on how long the sessions are too. If you wanted to go for a weekend with your family, and then just attend one or 2 sessions that are not too long, you might be able to have your spouse babysit mean while - depending on how often the baby eats and if you nurse or not. I think I would personally prefer to do that - less stress.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    I will chime in with the don'ts. The arenas are generally cold, seats cramped, having a baby takes infinitely more space than one can imagine. Diaper bags won't fit under the seats and if they do, you risk having something spilled on items. If you are nursing, you will want plenty of fluids and nourishment that is difficult to come by in an arena. Getting up to go to the bathroom is about 100 times more complex while juggling a baby, all your belongings and you.
    While some people enjoy babies and would be willing to help you, many do not or consider this a vacation away from children and would be annoyed.

Now, if you husband is a non-skating fan, but would come and stay in the hotel room with the baby while you are watching at the arena, and you could come and go in the arena without hassle, it might be feasible. However, I think most new moms underestimate how tired they are and it will be exhausting to try and do it.

Congratulations on the new one.

vCash
    Oh, yeah, adding my congrats too .

And that he first event I attended after having my baby was 4cc when he was a year old. I felt I could leave for 4 days then, even if I was still partially nursing and had to rush back to the hotel to pump after each session .
    I don't honk, even if my husband had babysat, I would have felt great going anywhere alone before that. But people are very different about that, and you don't know until you have the baby
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!