vCash

I created a music cut for a new Men's LP

I was recently inspired by the soundtrack from Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. I don't know if any of you ever make music cuts for make believe programs, but this proved to be a fun little project. I realized that the current skater I think this music would best suit is Evan Lysacek since it has a maturity and an old-fashioned romantic schmaltz to it that he does so well. Please let me know what you think.

Vertigo Men's LP
    https://soundcloud.com/bostonbryan/vertigo-mens-lp

vCash
    I think it's cool that you tried and, without recalling the score in detail, I love the IDEA of a Vertigo program. Not sure this works though. It is too monotonously angsty and the romantic bit is too wispy and slow to the point of motionless. The beginning seems more like a climax. I like the ending, though. Isn't there any strong, contrasty music in there that could lighten it up and provide a change of mood while still having some momentum?

Now you make me want to hear one from The Wrong Man using Que sera, sera. I think Adam or Johnny could pull it off.

Just my opinionated two cents.

vCash
    This would make a cool production or ensemble number. I can picture skaters in film noir costumes interpreting the different instruments. My only criticism is that it ends abruptly at 4:40. I don't know how a skater would end the program. Usually the music either fades or hits a crescendo.

You should send it to some skaters and choreographers and see if they respond. It's a fresh idea. I could see Jeremy Abbott or Christopher Dean doing a lot with it.

The clip is high quality, what music editing program did you use?

vCash
    Nice work. I like it a lot. Missing a bit more texture and layers with a bit more tempo but definitely some European skaters could have tried it. I would have seen someone like VdP or Klimkin doing it...maybe Majorov.

I wouldn't match this with Lysacek at all. This music requires poignant emotion and frankly he's just not that deep.

vCash
    Thanks for all the feedback! It is much appreciated. I had only previously edited recreations of tracks Michelle skated to and the Sabrina program that Czisny did a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Isn't there any strong, contrasty music in there that could lighten it up and provide a change of mood while still having some momentum?
    There is definitely a lot on that soundtrack to choose from. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne
    My only criticism is that it ends abruptly at 4:40. I don't know how a skater would end the program. Usually the music either fades or hits a crescendo.
    I see what you mean. It may have something to do with the track I selected. The music is so well tailored for skating in my opinion. I can totally see the basic layout of major jumps in the first minute per usual. The middle section begins with almost stationary introspective choreography, then at 1:37 motion leading to a solo jump. It is a section of ebb and flow until the strings grow louder. The first climax in the slow section at 2:45 is a spread eagle a la Buttle's Glenn Gould LP opening. The finale with the runs in the strings includes footwork later followed by a couple of combo spins ending with a headless scratch spin. I find the ending very dramatic. The middle section is definitely slower than I at first realized, but I have seen fast skaters keep pace through sections like that. Chan and Kostner come to mind.

You should send it to some skaters and choreographers and see if they respond. It's a fresh idea. I could see Jeremy Abbott or Christopher Dean doing a lot with it.
    I sent it to my only FB friend in the pro skating community, Rudy Galindo, and asked him to share it with any friends that might be interested. He commented back to me saying that he enjoyed it personally, but maybe I will try to send it to a choreographer. It was enjoyable to edit it just for fun. It would be amazing to see it skated to especially considering the lack of musical options in the rep, but nothing lost if it isn't.

The clip is high quality, what music editing program did you use?
    Thanks! I used Garage Band by Apple. I am very keen on high quality video and audio for my projects - I used to make video montages. In the past I also used to edit with the free program Audacity when I owned a PC. Either option is good, but I prefer Garage Band. You can find good simple tutorials on youtube. Back when I used to make montages/edit music, if I wanted to see a skater skate to a program, I would just make a montage with the music cut and recycle choreo to see how good a fit it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock2
    Missing a bit more texture and layers with a bit more tempo but definitely some European skaters could have tried it.
    I used an older slower version of the middle section track Scene D'Amour because of the tempo fluctuations that are very true to the style when the movie came out, but the more updated version is not as slow. That track, to me, is the heart and soul of Vertigo, but I might replace it with the updated version or redo this cut...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock2
    I wouldn't match this with Lysacek at all.
    Maybe it's his stature and handsome look that makes me think of Jimmy Stewart, the actor that played the protagonist in Vertigo. I found Evan's Olympic season programs to have depth and sophistication missing from his prior seasons. Different strokes for different folks
    Last edited by Kwantumleap; 06-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.